Nasal Pillow at 12cmH2O

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Nasal Pillow at 12cmH2O

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:45 am

Just need to know if anyone here has experienced any irritation or discomfort with nasal pillows at a 12cmH2O or more. I'm planning to switch from nasal mask to pillows (new breeze) , and I'm on straight CPAP at 12cmH2O with my PB420E machine. Thanks.

samofny

Post by samofny » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:52 am

If you search the forum for "nasal irritation" or "nasal discomfort" you will have many posts about this.

From what I have read, most suggest using a heated humidifier, with some using a moisturizer in addition to that (gel, saline spray, etc.)

I guess you can hold on to your mask in case the pillows don't work out.

muld00n

Re: Nasal Pillow at 12cmH2O

Post by muld00n » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:55 am

Anonymous wrote:Just need to know if anyone here has experienced any irritation or discomfort with nasal pillows at a 12cmH2O or more. I'm planning to switch from nasal mask to pillows (new breeze) , and I'm on straight CPAP at 12cmH2O with my PB420E machine. Thanks.
I have a friend that uses straight CPAP at 17 cm with his Comfortlite II and he has no problems.

Once you get used to it, I think you will be OK and will probably like your CPAP thereapy a little bit more.

Steve

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:06 pm

Been using my Adams Circuit (daddy of the Breeze) at 12 for several years and don't have any troubles.

JeffH

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:41 pm

I just changed to 12cm this Sunday with my Nasal Aire II. No irritation. In fact, I'm checking the mask (by covering the vent holes) to be sure I'm getting air on a routine basis. It's just that comfortable.

LOL,
B.

papdaddy

Post by papdaddy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

Hello, I use the Optilife mask with nasal pillows at a pressure of 15. For the first three days it was a little uncomfortable. After that no problems at all. I have been using for the last 3 months now.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:10 pm

Generally speaking you will have a few days to two weeks of discomfort when switching to a pillows style mask. Ayr gel and lansinoh cream (lanolin used by breastfeeding mothers, in the baby aisle) are very effective during the nare-toughening period. After that, you will be fine. I have used pillows up to 16 cm water pressure.

Jen