tingling fingers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Todzo

Re: tingling fingers

Post by Todzo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 am

Moby wrote:I quite frequently wake up with tingling little and ring fingers in both hands. Could this be something to do with breathing - eg if the exhaust vents are blocked?
Hi Moby!

Yes it could have something to do with breathing.

Blocking the exhaust vents would cause the CO2 to build up resulting in hypercapnea - tingling is not a symptom.

Your PAP machines constant pressure plus - say - extra stress - could result in you breathing more - washing out CO2 resulting in hypocapnia - tingling (Paresthesia) is a symptom.

I do find that keeping the stress down, good exercise (aerobic and since I am trained interval training), eucapnic breathing re-training, and working with my doctor to keep the CPAP pressure as low as possible help me prevent unstable breathing.

Have a great weekend!

Todzo
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:02 am

Todzo wrote:
Moby wrote:I quite frequently wake up with tingling little and ring fingers in both hands. Could this be something to do with breathing - eg if the exhaust vents are blocked?
Hi Moby!

Yes it could have something to do with breathing.

Blocking the exhaust vents would cause the CO2 to build up resulting in hypercapnea - tingling is not a symptom.

Your PAP machines constant pressure plus - say - extra stress - could result in you breathing more - washing out CO2 resulting in hypocapnia - tingling (Paresthesia) is a symptom.

I do find that keeping the stress down, good exercise (aerobic and since I am trained interval training), eucapnic breathing re-training, and working with my doctor to keep the CPAP pressure as low as possible help me prevent unstable breathing.

Have a great weekend!

Todzo
FYI....Moby's post was in 2007

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:24 pm

stevev wrote:I have mild sleep apnea so I go many nights without my CPAP. I only get the tingling when I use the CPAP. My guess is that the tingling is due to having the pressure too low on my machine. My guess is that I am not getting enough air to my brain. I need to talk with my therapist to have the pressure increased.
stevev, sign up for an ID and fill in the equipment on your profile. There's a link in my signature line on how to fill it in.

We may be able to help you figure out more about how your therapy is working and what your particular machine can do for you.

You wouldn't expect low pressure on the CPAP to give you less O2 than not using the CPAP. Without the CPAP, you're getting zero pressure.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:15 am

Think out loud in order:

1. oximetry falling despite good ahi numbers

2. bad positional sleeping

3. period breathing playing a bigger part than you think

4. unerlying medical cause such as fibro, neuropathy, diabetes, etc.

5. wrong titration

6. centrals undetected