opposite sex and cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zorrro13

opposite sex and cpap

Post by zorrro13 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:55 pm

I would like to hear other peoples experience with the opposite sex and how and if they adjusted to dating a hosehead. It took me a year to tell someone that i sleep with a machine. she had no trouble adjusting at all however we split recently and her paring words were " f off then machine man" anyone got any good, bad,funny stories?

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:19 pm

My response would have been ... "yea well just you keep away from my hose!".

Not sweat it dude, there is more where them came from.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:08 pm

I went to see my boyfriend recently and rather than putting the machine out I just stayed awake until 6 am when he left to go golfing. Then I pulled it out and got a few hours of sleep.

I usually dont really care that much what people think....but I just couldnt bring myself to use it. I will have to get past that next week when he comes here for a visit.

wintersweet

Post by wintersweet » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:17 pm

I guess I was lucky in that it was diagnosed after we were married, so no worries there.

When I need to stay with a colleague at a conference, though, I just write them an e-mail or tell them about it and explain the details. So far, EVERYONE I have talked to has had another friend or family member with it. So either they already know everything about it, or they know a little bit and are more interested in finding out more than anything. (Or their friend/family member isn't using a machine and the colleague wishes they would.) Sleep apnea is really pretty widespread.

(I mean, I expect with someone who's going to share a *bed* there might need to be a few more explanations and reassurances.)

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:53 pm

" f off then machine man"
wow...just...wow

Vader

Re: opposite sex and cpap

Post by Vader » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:32 pm

zorrro13 wrote:I would like to hear other peoples experience with the opposite sex and how and if they adjusted to dating a hosehead. It took me a year to tell someone that i sleep with a machine. she had no trouble adjusting at all however we split recently and her paring words were " f off then machine man" anyone got any good, bad,funny stories?
The problem with posting a story after yours is, you've already posted the BEST of the "good, bad, funny stories"!
Damn, that woman was cold!!! I don't think anyone here would dispute that.

I think you already know you're way better off without her, right?

Vader

zorrro.13

Post by zorrro.13 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:19 am

wish i would have thought of the hose thing what a classic! and yes i am better off without her ,however machine man does have a rather interesting ring to it now i think about it. Might change my user name....

RichCMH

Post by RichCMH » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:08 am

here's my two cents... just say...

I snore. I snore LOUDLY! However, I have this great invention that takes care of the snoring. I have to wear a mask, a bit cumbersome, but I will suffer thru it to allow you a blissful night's sleep!

Vader

Post by Vader » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:03 am

zorrro.13 wrote:wish i would have thought of the hose thing what a classic! and yes i am better off without her ,however machine man does have a rather interesting ring to it now i think about it. Might change my user name....
Hey I can relate to that, you know what they say - "Vader's more machine now than man; twisted and evil"

LOL

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose

Vader

higgy

Post by higgy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:49 am

Well, you could have hinted that without you there may be a machine in her future.

How compliant would that be.

hosehomo

relationship

Post by hosehomo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:57 am

my same-sex partner/wife/beloved has been totally cool about the hose except for this morning when she almost ripped my nostrils out because the hose had rubbed against her back (and Brooklyn bred girl that she is) thought there was a cockroach crawling up her back...

When I got the machine I warned her that she absolutely could not make fun of me and she has been so grateful that I have been able to sleep and probably will not not die prematurely on her...

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:10 am

As I have said before:

It just seems to me that if one is going to be that intimate and share so much of oneself with a significant other--said other should be the type who will accept such trivial things as using an xPAP.

We just need to pull ourselves up by the mask straps a bit, and decide that we are doing the right thing for ourselves by using xPAP. If there is someone with whom we would like to be intimate whom we cannot trust with such a superficial, and yet important to OUR health, issue--should that person be admitted into our most important sanctum? Image

It is a WONDERFUL screening mechanism to have xPAP. And, why wait? It seems to me that in the introductory phase of any relationship the topic would naturally be introduced. And, what are those little secrets in the life of the OTHER person?

Others are truly much less bothered by OUR own issues than WE seem to think. So this issue isn't one of having a partner accept it. It is really one of how well WE accept using the therapy that we need, choose, and deserve to use. My guess is that if we accept ourselves using this therapy, then anyone who truly cares about us will have no objection to the machine, mask, hose--

OK, maybe not the pantyhose straps, but there are other ways. Then again, look at Catnapper's example of using fishnets.... Image

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:17 am

The man I'm dating was a hosehead before me. In fact, because of me. I couldn't sleep due to his snoring, stopping breathing for long periods, and jerking movements when he was O2 deprived and struggled to breathe. He has severe apnea and low O2 desats. I hounded him for several months before he finally caved and got the sleep study. Once he got the machine I was thrilled to get a decent night's sleep. He was more concerned about how I'd feel about this than I was.

Let me tell you, anyone who tried to sleep with someone that they think might die at any moment right there in front of them is extremely happy about this. Plus, I didn't appreciate him falling asleep when we were talking and at other inopportune moments. Mostly when I was talking, but even occasionally when he was talking. This does not help a partner feel valued .

Now, I don't snore, so I have a quieter form of apnea (moderate), so perhaps he's not as relieved with me getting this as I was with him getting it . But so far no complaints.

I must be in the minority, or even the only one here, but I think these machines/masks are kinda cute or exotic even! But then I was a big Star Trek fan in my younger days.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:34 am

Accept it for yourself, and then if others don't then it is their loss, not yours. False pride and ego are at the root of most problems that aren't really problems.

My GF was so glad I found a way not to snore so she could get some sleep that I've never heard a peep out of her about my CPAP.

JZ

Post by JZ » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:40 am

Gosh, I hate to be a wet blanket, but by the time you get to the bedroom stage of dating someone (which can happen really quickly these days), both of you need to talk openly about any sexual history that may have put you at risk for HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases (STD). You need to make decisions such as whether not not you need an HIV test before jumping in the sack and whether you need to use protection against unintended pregnancy and against HIV and STDs (and make sure you know how to use it correctly).

Almost nobody wants to discuss these things, but as birdshell says, people need to pull themselves up by the mask (or boot or jock) straps and discuss these tough topics. Chlamydia (the most common STD and is often asymtomatic) is epidemic among teens and young adults, and can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease and sterility. Not to mention herpes, human papiloma virus, and HIV.

I guarantee if you make yourselves have those conversations, the conversation about using CPAP should be a breeze.

Janna