My tooth, my cpap, and me -- a vent

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LDuyer

My tooth, my cpap, and me -- a vent

Post by LDuyer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:07 am

Sorry, but I needed this vent.

Seems I've found a new reason to stay up all night and not use my bipap.

Tooth surgery.

Today I had a tooth extracted. Never had that done before. Dentist sent me home with some gauze, a prescription, and some typed instructions on how to heal from this new gaping hole in the back of my mouth where a molar used to be.

The instructions suggested sleeping elevated, propped up with pillows. Didn't understand that one, but now I do.

The gauze is to be shoved into my mouth as a compress to stop the bleeding (the instructions say the bleeding is needed, god knows why). But apparently some bleeding continues. That's where the elevated sleeping comes in. Seems the small amount of bleeding drains down into my throat. It isn't much, but just enough to trickle willy-nilly along my throat, to make a slight gagging sensation. Hence, I feel a little uncomfortable sleeping lying down as I normally do, of course.

So, I immediately remember those instructions. Hmm. Maybe I should follow those instructions, elevate via pillows. Done. Only, I found I simply can't sleep that way, and then it's a waste of time even trying and wearing my bipap mask.

So here I am, up and sitting at my computer, with more gauze shoved into my mouth, with my bipap and mask lying dormant, mocking me.

And do you want to know the kicker? Those instructions actually say -- no lie -- that they recommend eating ice cream during this healing process. RECOMMEND...!! Just the excuse I was looking for! But now I have to wait until the bleeding improves more before even considering hauling out the chocolate wonder waiting for me in my freezer. ......Ah, what the heck. It's the middle of the night. I think I can chomp on my gauze and slip in some ice cream at the same time, so off to the fridge I go .........

Please forgive my vent. I'm up all night tonight.

Linda

auntiebeccaneedssleep

ouch!

Post by auntiebeccaneedssleep » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:31 am

sorry to hear about your tooth. I have had 2 wisdom teeth removed (at seperate times) and have two more to get removed. I am to have a root canal in 12 days, so I feel you on the pain.

Bummer about not being able to sleep upright with bipap. I am the opposite. If I am in a leaning back position I sleep better with my mask. (nasal) I don't move around as much either.

I hope you get some rest in the near future.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to sleep I go......

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:36 am

Thanks Aunti.....,

My one tooth (rather non-tooth) pales in comparison to all of your tooth woes, for sure. As to wisdome teeth, some dentist yanked those out decades ago. Seems my mouth was small (really!) and they were removed because of the overcrowding. Didn't he know I might need them some day?

Now, if I could only extend my hose and mask all the way to the sofa, I just might be able to do this. (I seem to have no problem sleeping propped up on my sofa in front of a droning television).

Linda

auntiebeccaneedssleep

sleep where?

Post by auntiebeccaneedssleep » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:50 am

I sleep much better on the couch watching tv than I do in my bed. I just became a c-pap user, so I don't want to scare my family away with my mask! lol
Can you bring your machine to the couch?

auntie

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:50 am

LDUYER, my heart goes out to you, have had a few pulled myself though beyond wisdom they don't do that much anymore, they go root canal and a cap. You will have an uncomfortable one tomorrow and then Monday itg will be a lot better. They want them to drain so they don't get infected. The mouth is a different place. Good luck!

Can't sleep before a long trip in the morning.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:54 am

I could try. But it might be easier to bring the TV set to my bedroom (and just pretend I'm on the sofa....nope that wouldn't work). But since I don't have anything to do (I refuse to do my taxes and house cleaning), I just might have the time to move that baby.

Thanks.
I think cpaptalk needs a chatroom (although I still prefer discussion boards). I went to the "other" one, but it seems you can't chat at all hours.

Ha!

Linda

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:58 am

rock and roll wrote:LDUYER, my heart goes out to you, have had a few pulled myself though beyond wisdom they don't do that much anymore, they go root canal and a cap. You will have an uncomfortable one tomorrow and then Monday itg will be a lot better. They want them to drain so they don't get infected. The mouth is a different place. Good luck!

Can't sleep before a long trip in the morning.
So! You were the other Hidden.
Feels almost like a chatroom!
Big trip. Take lots of CD music with you!!
Take my favorite, Behind Blue Eyes. Oh, and Sounds of Silence.

A radio DJ once asked people to send in their top five songs and they would play them. Well, on my long commute, I decided to make a game of it, ..... what would be my only five songs if I were stranded on a desert island. I pondered that one for a long time, years even. I took the mental game quite seriously. Even now I've only come up with four out of five (too many to choose from, and I wanted to be certain I wouldn't get sick of the song). The things you do on a commute!

Linda

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:00 am

Go to eBay, their chats go all night.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:01 am

rock and roll wrote:Go to eBay, their chats go all night.
So is that what you do with your time?

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:04 am

Me Hidden!? That must be an accident. Am I always this way? Maybe I did it at first setup and then forgot. Yes, I slept for three hours and could not so I am up and will go back for a few more here shortly. Oh, I have CDs, rock and roll of couorse and a few dvds. I love a computer to travel with.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:07 am

rock and roll wrote:Me Hidden!? That must be an accident. Am I always this way? Maybe I did it at first setup and then forgot. Yes, I slept for three hours and could not so I am up and will go back for a few more here shortly. Oh, I have CDs, rock and roll of couorse and a few dvds. I love a computer to travel with.
Well, goodnight, Rock and Roll, my friend!
Try and get some rest ..... you know us apnea sufferers.... the dangers of sleep at inappropriate times, like on the road. So, get some sleep.

And have a great trip and wow all those folks in NC.
Don't forget us, kiddo!!

Linda

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:08 am

Well, some. I have an eBay store as well as all the other business I get myself into. I don't chat much on them but go occationally. Actually, I found out about this list talking on eBay chat.

auntiebeccaneedssleep

ebay?

Post by auntiebeccaneedssleep » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:09 am

Ebay has a chat room? I didn't know that. I like this forum though. It can be almost as quick! I we type fast!

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:10 am

Hey on your Swift, does the hose coming in at the angle bother you. I love the nasal pillow itself and I love the headgear. But I can't find how to do the hose. Neither the out the side nor over the head are comfortable to me but I will get used to it.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:12 am

Ebay has several chats. One os called the Night Owls for night people like us.