Normal to be angry when newly diagnosed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shippy

Post by shippy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:48 am

Denial, denial, denial, that was me till i started to learn more about OSA figured out it was a real life threatening situation and decided to deal with it or wind up dead in my sleep.

Dale

DreamStalker

Re: Normal to be angry when newly diagnosed?

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:40 am

DreamStalker wrote:
Jeanie821 wrote:I was diagnosed less than a month ago. The first couple of weeks weren't too bad emotionally - but now I'm furious. I have other medical problems to begin with, and this just feels like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've even given up the idea of dating. What do I have to offer someone - a life insurance policy?

Is it normal to be this angry?
I'm not a religious person ... but you may want to change your signature to something that fits your attitude ... or you could keep your signature and change to a more positive attitude.

Maybe I'll just never understand religion
Just to clarify my post, I was not suggesting that it was “better” for you to change your signature … sometimes I am a bit gruff communicating my thoughts. What I meant is the same as others have already said … consider yourself lucky that you have been diagnosed before suffering additional more serious health issues or even death. Try to understand that expending energy through anger only serves to pump stressful and harmful hormones through your body already being ravished by OSA.

Again, I am not a person of faith but I realize that such faith seems to bring some people a sense of calm, hope, and understanding which gives them the strength to persevere over unfortunate circumstances (to each their own). I was merely suggesting that perhaps you should reconsider your negative attitude (or at least what I perceived from your initial post) about your condition and focus on the more positive challenge of treating yourself.

I was never angry about having OSA or even about what I had to do to treat it. Any anger I had was/is directed at the healthcare industry … but even so, I realize that a “free market” based healthcare system is nothing more than a socioeconomic “survival of the fittest” resulting in winners and losers (not worth getting all stressed out about ... life is just that way ). I hope you realize that finding your way to this forum and educating yourself about your condition and its treatment gives you an excellent advantage in this unfair system (or world) of winners and losers. Take heart and/or give thanks to whomever you wish that you have been given an opportunity that many others will not get.

May you be a winner regardless of how you choose to approach your condition … best wishes and I hope you come back and participate in this great forum soon!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Angry? Yes. Definitly--mostly at being misdiagnosed with depression for 10 years. Also angry that the masks are so hard to fit.

But mostly? Relieved. Relieved to know that all these seemingly disparit symptoms were all caused by one thing that I don't have to take a chemical to treat. I have always hated taking pills. Now all I have to do is hook myself up to a hose to sleep--air is the only chemical I need. I know it isn't easy. I've struggled too, with masks, with aerophagia, with my high pressure.

Now I'm just grateful because I feel so much better.

Jen

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:46 pm

My wife said that she would gladly put up with my CPAP just so she didn't have to listen to me snoring and having apnea episodes.
CPAP I can handle with a machine, I have beaten cancer (9 years ago), had a cataract removed (3 months ago) and am now facing Glaucoma. I find out Tuesday what the treatment options are. I sure as h*&& hope that something as simple as a CPAP machine can handle that.
The question is,, would you trade apnea for cancer or any of the other deadly diseases???

P.S.
There is no one in this group that fought CPAP for as long and hard as I did. THEN I FOUND THAT MY LIFE PROBABLY DEPENDED UPON IT!!!!!

I just want to go back to sleep!

lpkaas

Post by lpkaas » Mon May 18, 2009 10:28 pm

cMK2QU I was not angry when diagnosed - just in a state of shock. Who ever heard of this condition? Certainly I had not. After two years of continuing uncontrollable blood pressure issues, I retook the test and, initially infomed the MD that, in no way, was I wearing a mask. I had one at home and it was impossible. However, after my last testing, I decided to again give it a try. I'm still not certain that I can "do it"; however, my attitude has changed and I am committing to making it work. The only problem I have is a dry throat. I have a humidifier in the machine; however, after about 4 hours I awaken with so sore a throat that I have to take it off. This after 4 nights of attempts. Each morning I have said "no more"; however, each night I am willing to give it a try. Most of you writing in appear to have experienced some positive results - you will motivate me to keep with it. Angry - don't be. There could be so many more serious, terminal conditions you could be afflicted with. Be grateful, that there appear to be solutions 'out there" for you.
Hey all, it was great reading your comments. My first time on a blog.

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon May 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Your very dry throat indicates you're mouth breathing: your mouth drops open, and treatment air rushes out of it, drying you up on the way. This also has a be impact on the pressures ability to achieve what its meant to.

The solutions are:
A full face mask, that will keep the pressurized air from rushing out to the room
A hybrid mask ditto
A chinstrap, that will force your jaw to remain closed
Or various techniques of keeping you lips stuck firmly shut: with the use of tape, or polygrip strips.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Tue May 19, 2009 7:09 am

ozij wrote:Cast off monkey spell, May 18 2009 O.
I'm really glad to see your old avatar back.

The Universe is coming back into sync.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

roster

Post by roster » Tue May 19, 2009 7:37 am

lpkaas wrote: ...... My first time on a blog.
Yeah, you responded to a post that is almost two years old and the member has been inactive for 17 months.

And it's a forum not a blog.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 am

carbonman wrote:

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue May 19, 2009 8:37 am

ozij wrote:
carbonman wrote:

O.
So are you going to share that secret spell with the rest of us?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:02 am

I was never and have not been angry; just depressed.

Still very green when it comes to all of this; been on it for 7 nights now.

depressed in the thought that this hose is going to be stuck to my face for the rest of my life. I do not like the thought of travel outside the house with it, the thought of going camping and having to be connected to an electrical outlet...

I am adjusting in my comfort zone (home) but it makes it hard. yawning is difficult as air is rushing about my mouth... cannot lay in bed and talk to my wife because when the mouth opens, air is rushing.

I am 40 years old, been healthy my whole life. Went to an ENT for a clogged ear and mentioned a snore issue that has been in my family for generations. This bought me 2 nights in a sleep lab and a hose stuck to my coconut. If it was a temporary thing I would not mind, but the idea of spending the next 40+ years like this depresses me to no end.

If I did not have 2 small children at home (10 and 6) I would say the heck with it.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue May 19, 2009 10:08 am

drubin007 wrote:I was never and have not been angry; just depressed.

Still very green when it comes to all of this; been on it for 7 nights now.

depressed in the thought that this hose is going to be stuck to my face for the rest of my life. I do not like the thought of travel outside the house with it, the thought of going camping and having to be connected to an electrical outlet...

I am adjusting in my comfort zone (home) but it makes it hard. yawning is difficult as air is rushing about my mouth... cannot lay in bed and talk to my wife because when the mouth opens, air is rushing.

I am 40 years old, been healthy my whole life. Went to an ENT for a clogged ear and mentioned a snore issue that has been in my family for generations. This bought me 2 nights in a sleep lab and a hose stuck to my coconut. If it was a temporary thing I would not mind, but the idea of spending the next 40+ years like this depresses me to no end.

If I did not have 2 small children at home (10 and 6) I would say the heck with it.
Well look at it this way. The only reason you may spend the next 40+ years attached to the hose is because of the hose ... otherwise you would only get maybe 10 to 20 years if you are lucky. Your children will most definitley appreciate your efforts and you will too once you begin to feel the benfits.

drubin007

Post by drubin007 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:15 am

[/quote]
Well look at it this way. The only reason you may spend the next 40+ years attached to the hose is because of the hose ... otherwise you would only get maybe 10 to 20 years if you are lucky. Your children will most definitley appreciate your efforts and you will too once you begin to feel the benfits.[/quote]

I know, it just kills me... as I said above, 40 years and not so much as a broken bone... last time I went to the doctor for a physical, they did not have a file for me because I had not been there for so long.
I try to do the right thing (even stopped smoking almost 2 months ago), try to eat right (been a vegeterian for about a year and a half now)... and know I snore. my dad snored, and his dad before him snored. It is a family trait I have passed along to my youngest (daughter, age 6). Son will probably get it sooner or later im sure.

I know it has only been a week in my case, but I am not feeling any different. Before cpap I would suffer dry mouth frequently, as a result of mouth breathing/snoring. Luckily I did not need the full face mask (they freak me out) and with the nose having air sucked in, it has kept my mouth closed. I just wish there was a better soultion (besides the UPPP surgery which after research, was not something I would consider)

qltwvr

Post by qltwvr » Tue May 19, 2009 10:34 am

I usually do a gradual slow burn, then hit the top of the mountain, have a fit and slide down the other side telling myself to get a grip. Does that make any sense? I have several issues with health like most folks. My cardiologist asked if I was feeling better as it was the first time I had seen him since starting CPAP about 6 weeks ago. I told him some, but not as much as I would like. He said it may take months or even YEARS of XPAP to feel better. At least I am here and will deal with it. Thanks to all of you, I now know I was not crazy to have issues getting used to being a hosehead and all that goes with it. I think he was glad when I finally left after ranting about being given a basic machine, and folks should be involved in their treatment with a data capable machine. I hadn't found this forum until after I had all the equipment. He agreed, but of course has no direct back and forth with the sleep doctor who prescribes. He said they are learning more all the time about how to deal with OSA and patients, so maybe I didn't get hot under the collar for no reason other than to vent. We'll see. I appreciate all I have learned here, it has made a huge difference in being able to deal with the baby monkey strapped to my face each night. JS

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Tue May 19, 2009 10:50 am

drubin007 wrote:been on it for 7 nights now.

the thought of going camping and having to be connected to an electrical outlet...
I hope that soon you will feel the benefits of your therapy,
and your brain will make that paradigm shift to acceptance.

Just an FYI on camping....
my backpacking days are probably over, but....
I have spent the past three nights running on the new
Optima Blue top. Works like a champ.
I could probably get another night.
So, car camping is going to be no problem.
No outlets needed.

All things for a reason.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.