My Teeth Hurt...Help???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dwood003

Re: My Teeth Hurt...Help???

Post by dwood003 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Several months after starting cpap the 3 teeth that held a 6 tooth upper bridge started to hurt, when I woke in the morning they where so sensitive I couldn't let them touch the bottom teeth. Slowly after several month only one continued to bother me when I touched the end of the root along side of my nose in the sinus area.

I had the bridge for 25 years and had it replaced 4 years earlier. I went to the dentist, he xrayed it and kind of dismissed it. A week later I bite into a ear of corn and all 3 teeth sheared off a the gum line.

I was using a nasal pillow and having problems with air escaping thru my mouth, I had strapped my jaw closed but air continued to blow thru my lips.

I have since solved the air leakage problem using polident strips and tape. My jaw is slackened enough where my teeth don't touch. I have a temporary partial plate which I have to wear at night and have yet to decide what route to go for the teeth.

If your teeth hurt their trying to tell you something. I regret I didn't listen.

Hoover

Post by Hoover » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 pm

I too had sore teeth in the AM and consulted 2 dentists who didn't have a clue. In the meantime my teeth (although not perfect by any means - no braces as a kid) which used to meet n the front no longer do and both my upper and lower teeth protrude more. About 3 months ago I was fitted for a custom night guard ($500 - 1/2 covered by insurance - ouch) and it is thinner than the type that are OTC and is a custom fit. On the rare occasion that I forget to wear it my teeth are sore and likely have moved a tiny bit...get help sooner rather than later - I'm looking at lots of $ in orthodontia if I want to get my teeth back to where they were. The OTC night guards are a good temporary solution - and a permanent one if you can't dish out the $ for the custom guards.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:50 pm

How did you know what size to get for your nose?

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Hoover wrote:I too had sore teeth in the AM and consulted 2 dentists who didn't have a clue. In the meantime my teeth (although not perfect by any means - no braces as a kid) which used to meet n the front no longer do and both my upper and lower teeth protrude more. About 3 months ago I was fitted for a custom night guard ($500 - 1/2 covered by insurance - ouch) and it is thinner than the type that are OTC and is a custom fit. On the rare occasion that I forget to wear it my teeth are sore and likely have moved a tiny bit...get help sooner rather than later - I'm looking at lots of $ in orthodontia if I want to get my teeth back to where they were. The OTC night guards are a good temporary solution - and a permanent one if you can't dish out the $ for the custom guards.
My wife purchased the expensive custom night guard thru her dentist and at around 7 months it was chewed up and worthless.
She then decided to buy OTC and found some are better than others. The worst was chewed up after 5 months but considering the cost was still a HUGE value over the custom.
She gets about 6-8 months from the OTC ones she has tried so far.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Guest wrote:How did you know what size to get for your nose?
You guys are responding to an 8 year old post...chances are the OP will never see your answer.

EllenLynne

Post by EllenLynne » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:46 pm

I have used a night dental guard for years because of grinding/clenching teeth. I use my night guard with my cpap nasal pillows & never have sore teeth & my teeth do not move...nor do I have any dental problems from cpap usage.

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am

Can confirm. I had braces when i was a kid and i think he messed up. I started grinding heavily and got sleep apnea, but with the cpap my teeth hurt. Specifically my front two with are thin and chipped. Its funny not a single person on here even thinks about air pressure and how maybe it isnt natural and good for our teeth.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:53 am

Guest wrote:How did you know what size to get for your nose?
Lost in the Way Back Machine, Again... Jim

Old posts, The Black Hole on the Internet!

Seldom Read, Posting Replies Ignored, But always Something that needs commented on, again!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Liam wrote:Can confirm. I had braces when i was a kid and i think he messed up. I started grinding heavily and got sleep apnea, but with the cpap my teeth hurt. Specifically my front two with are thin and chipped. Its funny not a single person on here even thinks about air pressure and how maybe it isnt natural and good for our teeth.
==

i can see pressure from the mask being a problem

how does air pressure do it?
Maybe the air pressure builds up in the jaw, making it act like a reciprocal sander, making the jar move back and forth, wearing the teeth down, loosen and fall out.

What CAN happen, you can do XPAP treatment WRONG, and mouthbreath, drying out the mouth and that will cause damage. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:58 pm

skjansen wrote:Good afternoon!

I use a Resmed Quattro ff mask and I sleep exclusively on my right side. I have been waking up in the middle of the night with my teeth on the top and bottom on my right side really hurting. Anyone else had this type of problem. The pain goas away a few minutes after I take my mask off. I don't think my mask is too tight but the way I sleep really pushes it pretty hard against the right side of my face.

When I had just a regualr nasal mask it made my front teeth separate by about 1/8" inch. Seems I fix one problem and get another.

Just wondering....

PS I sleep exclusively on my right side because I found sleeping on my back regardless of my pressure pushes my AHI over 7. Sleeping on my left side will not work as I have a problem with fluid getting in my left ear and it makes the room spin....not really a fun feeling
Sounds like TMJ. It can be brought on by teeth clenching OR something pressing on that side of the face just near the joint in front of your ear.

Additional Comments: My headgear varies (STILL!)
Resmed S9 with humidifier and in need of the right mask.

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 pm

im pretty sure its not grinding, do you guys use a full face mask, for along time, and havent had any dental issues? My teeth didnt hurt for months and i just finally got sick of not sleeping well so i started using the machine again, i wore it for 2 hours sitting up before i went to sleep, and my teeth hurt after that, so i know i wasnt grinding. The tooth that hurts is chipped so maybe the air is pushing its way inside?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Liam wrote:im pretty sure its not grinding, do you guys use a full face mask, for along time, and havent had any dental issues? My teeth didnt hurt for months and i just finally got sick of not sleeping well so i started using the machine again, i wore it for 2 hours sitting up before i went to sleep, and my teeth hurt after that, so i know i wasnt grinding. The tooth that hurts is chipped so maybe the air is pushing its way inside?
Teeth aren't hollow unless they are damaged, you can overtighted the straps and cause pain, don't do that... I used a FF Mask for 3 years, now mostly use a Nasal mask, still use the FF when needed. I don't allow CAN'T, can't never has done anything good. One of my upper Bugs Bunny teeth is chipped, I dropped a electric drill 1/2 inch in my mouth, broke the tooth, no pain 20 years ago, still sharp edges.
Jim

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Liam wrote:im pretty sure its not grinding, do you guys use a full face mask, for along time, and havent had any dental issues? My teeth didnt hurt for months and i just finally got sick of not sleeping well so i started using the machine again, i wore it for 2 hours sitting up before i went to sleep, and my teeth hurt after that, so i know i wasnt grinding. The tooth that hurts is chipped so maybe the air is pushing its way inside?
Have you been to a dentist to have those teeth checked? Whenever I have what turns out to be a cavity or crack in a filling, I've noticed that the air from the CPAP will cause some pain in those teeth. Not a lot, but some. But then those teeth are also somewhat sensitive to other things besides the CPAP air, like cold beverages, etc. And it never hurts enough to keep me from sleeping with the mask on. Just a thought. Hope you get it figured out.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks for the advice, ill go to the dentist, i guess im just being paranoid. yeah the tooth is chip it feels like its pretty exposed. nothing else usually bothers it, only thing i can remember recently is when i tried brushing my teeth with baking soda, that made them feel bad lol.

lliann

Post by lliann » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 pm

My upper teeth hurt for the first few days. I felt it was my sinuses which also can make teeth hurt.