Thumbs UP from me for the new A-Flex machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Snoredog

Thumbs UP from me for the new A-Flex machine

Post by Snoredog » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:42 am

I've only used it 2 nights so far, but already I've noticed the new Remstar Auto w/A-Flex is much better machine than its C-Flex model.

1. It is much quieter as compared to the C-Flex model at the same pressure. I used my Soyala nasal mask which is completely silent where I can easily hear the machine. I'll measure the sound level with my dB meter to compare, but the only noise so far from the machine is the air flowing back and forth through the hose. So being quieter is a huge improvement.

2. The annoying blue LED's are still there, if anything even brighter than they were before with no way to turn them down or off, although I noticed they did dim somewhat after a few seconds from turning it on. However using a #15 Torx and a 6-1 torx, I was able to remedy that problem placing some black electrical tape over the LED's on the PCB avoiding the button contacts. I did notice something rattling around inside the unit as it got flipped around, found it to be a small piece of round ceramic magnet, most likely from EMI filtering, not sure where that came from but its out of the case now and nothing rattling around.

3. Therapy-wise, A-Flex is even better than C-Flex, I feel better, there is a noticeable improvement in comfort level, it is completely effort-less with A-Flex (for me), you have to open your mouth to allow the air pressure to escape to even know it is doing anything. It seems to be tracking my breathing pattern perfectly it feels normal breathing in and out even if you try to trip it up.

I've owned and used a lot of autos over the years, this one by far offers the most breathing comfort of any machine I've ever used. And it was worth it going from the C-Flex auto model to the A-Flex model.

4. Hard to tell so far, but the data appearing on the LCD seems to be more accurate, haven't pulled a report yet with EncorePro.

5. As for aerophagia relief? So far I don't see any real difference there, but I know that if I use my 420e for several days in a row that mine returns with a vengeance, going back to the C-Flex helped, will let you know once I have a few more days under the covers, but so far this machine is an improvement over the prior model.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Do you think pressure relief, particularly the A-flex makes a difference for those who have lower pressures. My pressure is 8.5 right now and that seems optimal. It was my impression that CFlex made my aerophagia worse, so I turned it down low. However, that was earlier in my treatment, so maybe it just went away.

I have a family member who will be having a sleep study soon, and I was hoping to work it so she gets this machine if she has OSA. The review helped confirm that this is the machine. Of course, then I'll be jealous . Not really, but I may convince her to swap machines some time in the distant future just to give it a try.

Good review! Thanks.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:38 pm

Great review, Snoredog. What you said about the feeling of breathing so naturally with A-Flex is what Ted (Titrator) has said, too. He has used auto with C-Flex and mostly bipaps. He said the Auto with A-flex is the most comfortable he's used, too.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

bluegrassfan

Post by bluegrassfan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:07 am

Snoredog, I liked your review and am looking forward to more, as you dissect this machine. By the way, what is the exact model description to use if I wanted to buy one? I have a prescription for a PB420E and I'm hoping this prescription can be used to buy this machine you have. tks..bob

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:20 pm

rested gal wrote:Great review, Snoredog. What you said about the feeling of breathing so naturally with A-Flex is what Ted (Titrator) has said, too. He has used auto with C-Flex and mostly bipaps. He said the Auto with A-flex is the most comfortable he's used, too.
WOO HOO! RG GOT A NEW PIC!

Hee hee hee! Yer a Hottie, RG!
B.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:03 pm

bluegrassfan wrote:By the way, what is the exact model description to use if I wanted to buy one? I have a prescription for a PB420E and I'm hoping this prescription can be used to buy this machine you have. tks..bob
Respironics REMstar Auto M Series with A-FLEX™

You can read more about it here:

http://remstarautomseries.respironics.com/

and here:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage-advanced.php?PNum=2486

I don't know about buying from a bricks and mortar DME store. But as far as I know, if you buy online, any Rx that has ANY one of these words or phrases on it will let you buy any autopap you want, even if another brand name was already mentioned on the Rx:

cpap - (yes, even just the one word "cpap" will let you buy an autopap online, as it IS a "CPAP" machine...an auto-titrating CPAP machine.)

autopap
APAP
auto-titrating cpap
self-adjusting cpap
auto cpap
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Snoredog, I'm afraid to ask this question, but does the A-flex model require the impossible to find version 1.8 of Encore Pro - or will it work with version 1.6 (on Windows XP)?

Bamalady

Post by Bamalady » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Snoredog...

Do you mind if I print out your review? I'm going to try to talk mu Dr. into ordering this machine.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:08 pm

The annoying blue LED's are still there, if anything even brighter than they were before
I put a ResMed brochure over mine every night and let the auto on turn the unit on.

I wonder how the a-flex compares to biflex? How many cm of H2O apart are your inhales and exhales, do you know?

Jen

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:12 pm

[quote="greyhound"]Snoredog, I'm afraid to ask this question, but does the A-flex model require the impossible to find version 1.8 of Encore Pro - or will it work with version 1.6 (on Windows XP)?

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:35 pm

[quote="greyhound"]Snoredog, I'm afraid to ask this question, but does the A-flex model require the impossible to find version 1.8 of Encore Pro - or will it work with version 1.6 (on Windows XP)?

Last edited by Snoredog on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenIce

Post by GreenIce » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm

greyhound wrote:Snoredog, I'm afraid to ask this question, but does the A-flex model require the impossible to find version 1.8 of Encore Pro - or will it work with version 1.6 (on Windows XP)?
Greyhound, A-flex works with 1.8. I am using it with XP. I tried it with James Skinner's software, it works too. Do not know whether A-flex is compatible with 1.6 ,

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:57 pm

Only the Encore Pro data management software version 1.8i and card reader will work with this machine. Unfortunately, at this time, Respironics does not sell version 1.8i to the general public.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:24 pm

[quote="Slinky"]From:

Only the Encore Pro data management software version 1.8i and card reader will work with this machine. Unfortunately, at this time, Respironics does not sell version 1.8i to the general public.

bluegrassfan

Post by bluegrassfan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:07 am

Snoredog I know this thread is old, but I'm checking to see if you still love that new A-flex machine? I need some help with exhalation pressure. tks..bob