dreaming with SA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gasparama

dreaming with SA

Post by gasparama » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:58 pm

My doctor briefly touched on this subject , but I don't remember his explanation. When I first visited the sleep doc, I told him that for the past few years I had been dreaming constantly, from the moment I laid down my head. Since that wasn't a REM stage, what is the reason for the dreaming?

Did any of you have this experience before papping?

Jane

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:18 pm

I canm definitely relate to what you're saying. I've just been diagnosed this week, so I haven't tried CPAP yet, but will go for my study with titration on Tuesday. I have been diagnosed with moderate apnea. What amazes me is that I stopped breathing close to 56 times during REM sleep on the night of my study, 28 times while in non-REM. Yet I still manage to have some of the most vivid and wacked out dreams imaginable! May was when we really started to notice my symptoms, and it's something that's been happening since then, maybe before. I'm also wondering if this has any relation to my apnea. Sounds like we're experiencing similar symptoms.

kteague

Dreams

Post by kteague » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:32 pm

Yep, dreamed all the time, even when dozing and not in REM. Still do. Dream every time I nod off. They're like little snippets of scenes. I do have more involved dreams overnight, but don't often remember them well.
Kathy

Susanm

Post by Susanm » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:31 pm

Yeah, I start dreaming when I just get drowsy, and keep at it for a bit after I've woken up. Made for some interesting moments before I found out what was happening. At the sleep center, they found I had 3 out of the 4 symptoms of narcolepsy, one of which is the constant vivid dreams, but the poly and the multiple sleep latency test didn't show that I had it. But then again I've heard that narcolepsy doesn't show itself sometimes in untreated apnea patients ... so I may need another test I reckon. Who would have ever guessed this sleep business was so complicated? I used to think the reason I was so tired and sleepy all the time was because I "stayed busy" in my dreams and never got to rest!

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:37 am

I went through a period of about 5 years where I always dreamed, even if I nodded off in class for 30 seconds. It was exhausting (SusanM, I thought the same thing as you!). I'd remember three to five dreams a night, a couple in every nap, etc. I mean, I vividly remember waking up the first time I did so without dreaming--it was about 4 years ago (about 4 years ago I started sleeping on my stomach for no apparent reason--at the time; now I think it was my body trying to get rid of the SDB--and that was when I stopped dreaming all the time; unfortunately I did serious damage to the nerves in my arms that way and had to stop, so the SDB got worse again).

My hypothesis is that my body was so starved for REM sleep that it would go straight into it, only to be almost immediately awakened. (Since you only remember dreams if you wake up during them.)

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:59 pm

My hypothesis is that my body was so starved for REM sleep that it would go straight into it, only to be almost immediately awakened. (Since you only remember dreams if you wake up during them.)
[/quote]

It seems that the doctor said something about the sleep deprivation being a factor. Hopefully, he'll explain it again during my next appoitment.

I can't wait for school to start this year and see if I make it awake all the way through the reading groups. In the past, I've even dozed off in the middle of my own sentences and caught myself saying something completely off track from my lesson. Now that's embarrassing. I've dreamed at different times all through the school day.

momsworry

Post by momsworry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:15 pm

I bet I went for about 7-8 years without dreaming at all prior to cpap. After I got on cpap, I dream with some regularity.

josh

Post by josh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am

Maybe I'm off topic...but couldn't it be REM starvation? I mean the body has lost so much sleep, that everytime you go to sleep you immediately (or quickly) go into REM and dream...

I remember one time...only once...that I dreamt while I was awake!! Talk about scary!
The ox is slow...but the earth is patient.

canyongirl

are you sure its dreaming?

Post by canyongirl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:55 am

I have always had vivd dreams, and sonstant too... naps, sleeping, whenevr i rested... but now on cpap for about 4 months my "dreams" are almost non exsistent. It was actually noise or chatter in my brain. My sleep center suggested that my body would have this chatter (which I considered dreams) to help me really not ever get to deep sleep because it would have apneas... it was also suggested that I my body would try to go to deep sleep to dream.

Now on cpap, I know I dream, but nothing like I sued too. It was all "chatter". Now if I take my mask off half way through the night I immedietly get "chatter". I know i dream on cpap, but much deeper, much lesss memory or recall, and much more satisfying.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 pm

Wanna read about dreaming?
This'll keep you busy.

Den

viewtopic.php?t=3524

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:50 pm

I had constant, nonstop, crazy, wacked out dreams nightly until I got on CPAP. I felt it made me even more tired.

Now I only occasionally remember dreaming.

Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.

frete50

Post by frete50 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:29 pm

I have always dreamed vivid and in color. Still do. CPAP has not changed that one bit.

Becky

LonnieMc

Post by LonnieMc » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:37 pm

I have not started on CPAP yet either, nor have I had a formal test yet. Anyway, I seem to have a dream just about every night. My only problem is, I really can't remember much about the dreams. But I also noticed last night that I seem to stay in REM stage. I was dreaming up to the point my finace woke me up at 5:30. This is after going to sleep at 2am thou.

jskinner

Post by jskinner » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:30 pm

Sleep apnea keeps waking you up all the time during sleep, thus you wake up during your dreams and remember them. Normally you just sleep though them and then forget them in the morning.
Encore Pro Analyzer Author
Facebook Apnea Group

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Oh, I've done that too... makes me feel so yucky to be awoken in the middle of a dream! I also dream in color, and "see" in my dreams the way I always have, near blinenes and all! I also dream about people I know pretty often, but the plot, why things are happening the way they are is just so wacked out and makes no sense whatsoever! I can tell you who I've dreamed about, but not what happened when I wake up.

Funny, the night I tried to go to bed early and really try to rest was the night the dreams happened the worst. Felt horrible the next morning, Saturday... no energy and groggy with headaches all day! Last night, pushed it a bit and went to bed after 1AM. Was much bettter for some reason. Still dreamed but it wasn't the all night/crazy as a loon kind like it had been being. Right now I don't have to be awake at any certian time (Being a teacher is especially great during June, July, and part of August!) so I got up at ten this morning. Weird! Hopefully the CPAP will bring some normalcy back to my sleep. Today was pretty good, didn't want a nap or anything, but some days are just the pits!

Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!