Mental illness diagnosis due to undiagnosed sleep disorder?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
John_M

Can Heart Rate Vatiability biofeedback practise reduce anxie

Post by John_M » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 am

Babette wrote: I really view my "problem" now as anxiety. After hearing a lecture about apneas causing adrenaline surges I'm more and more convinced that OSA was/is inducing my anxiety.
I am real suspicious that my anxiety is due to OSA too Babs.

I am experimenting with reducing my anxiety by increasing my Heart Rate Variablity and it may be working.!!!

I am noticing a new calmness in my life and occasionally have been know to sit down and just watch the grass grow.

I am not very articulate about this approach but where my ideas are going is documented in http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/dreamshari ... Id=1005916

This path I am wandering down is real weird but I am having fun. Each morning I wake up and turn on my computer. Then I watch a little blue trace go up and down as my heart rate goes up and down in response to my breathing. Weird,

But my body seems to like the breathing pattern that comes out of it becuase it goes into it durign the day. Its like a yoga breathing pattern.

John NM
Started CP Jan 10, 06. Orig AHI 37, now 0.4.

Index for newbies at http://cpapindex.dreamsharing.net

Sleep Apnea Wiki

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 am

TRIPPIE! Okay John, I'm going to have to look into this. Sounds like fun!

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

ozij

Hijack continued...

Post by ozij » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:08 am

tangents wrote:Put me on the clinical depression list, too.

My question is - why can't they find an easier way to diagnose OSA? I really find it hard to believe that attaching all those sensors is the only way. Does the AVERAGE PERSON need to know more than:
1. Their oxygen levels throughout the night
2. Their breathing pattern throughout the night

A pulse oximeter and a nasal cannula to measure flow could indicate the need for PAP, and an APAP could be used from that point on to regulate.

I believe that doctors would be much more willing to test for it if it were simpler. Look at how often blood tests are performed.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Rooster. Keep on cock-a-doodle-doonig!
Cathy
There is an easier way to diagnose OSA - it's being tested, but will probably be used as a screening device.

Wrist PAT
CONCLUSIONS: The Watch_PAT is a device that can detect OSA with reasonable accuracy. Thus, the Watch_PAT may be a useful method to diagnose OSA
See here (the company' site) for more articles.
O.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): APAP

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:53 am

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression for 18 years before I got the right diagnosis of OSA. Even when I would tell the doctors I was not depressed...just tired, they still would just say oh, you are a woman and a lot of women have this. I even had one doc tell me I did not realize I was depressed because I had never been happy. Now, how on earth could she know that. Just plain ridiculous is what that was!

I am much better now thank goodness!

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:55 am

Makes you want to re-invent that old carnival game "Wack-A-Mole" and insert doctor's heads instead....

So glad you got the right diagnosis finally skjansen!

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:21 am

Makes you want to re-invent that old carnival game "Wack-A-Mole" and insert doctor's heads instead....
RPFLMAO!! What an image! Now you knew I couldn't resist this, didn't you, Babette?