REACTIVE AIRWAY DISEASE

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kilrush

REACTIVE AIRWAY DISEASE

Post by kilrush » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:30 am

HI, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THIS REACTIVE AIRWAYS DISEASE. FOUR YEARS AGO I WAS DX WITH APNEA PRESSURE 14 NOW MY PC HAS ALSO DX MY WITH REACTIVE AIRWAY DISEASE. THANKS MARY

littlefeat

Post by littlefeat » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:03 am

Does the doc think that your apnea or CPAP therapy caused the RAS?
Fat Man in the Bathtub

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:28 am

From the folks that know best:
Asthma, also known as reactive airway disease, is defined as a chronic lung condition with:

* Inflammation (swelling) of the airways
* Increased sensitivity of the airways to a variety of things that make asthma worse
* Obstruction of airflow
If you didn't have it before, you might want to get checked for reflux, it can get your airway very irritated.

National Jewish Medical and Research Center Denver, CO

slowday

Post by slowday » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:20 pm

That's a great idea to get checked for reflux.

Most times reflux is associated with heartburn and acid coming up the throat. I have reflux that causes breathing difficulties by irritating the bottom of the esophogus ( I think that's what it is) and causing it to go into spasms. . Couldn't catch my breath, kept coughing whenever I tried to breath in or out. It got me a ride in an ambulance to the emergency room. At first nexium took care of it but now I control it with no citrus or acidic foods and very low amounts of spicy foods.

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 am

Slowday,

I had to also avoid eating the offending foods which cause reflux as prevacid did not control it. Are you still taking nexium?

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:22 pm

Slowday,

My question should have been: Is your doctor still recommending that you continue to take nexium?

slowday

Post by slowday » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Yoga

I had a long talk with my doctor and he said that I could go off the stuff if I committed myself to doing a blander diet and that's what I've done. No citrus except for a little squirt of real lemon in decaf tea, no tomato, no more than a drop of hot sauce and not often; that sort of thing. It was a little tough at first but the benefit is no more breathing spasms.

However in one of those twists of fate, my wife, who insisted I see the doctor in the first place, developed classic reflux shortly after and takes nexium every morning. She swears by it and takes it religiously every morning.

Allan

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:59 pm

Slowday (Allan),

I am glad you are doing better by abstaining from the foods that cause reflux. That certainly was a wakup call when you had to be transported to the emergency room. I especially miss tomatoes. I decided to abstain because I was hoarse when I spoke and the thought of my throat closing up was not a pleasant one. Interestingly enough my doc still wants me to take prevacid even though it did not seem to be doing a bit of good. She also has reflux.

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:22 pm

Well I was in the same boat. Was taking Prevacid twice a day, plus loads of tums/gaviscon. That was until I did the Enteryx procedure at Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax VA. I no longer take anything regularly (occasional prevacid if I ate a bunch of stuff that irritates it) and I can eat pizza before going to bed if I want to. It changed my life quite dramatically. The Doc that performs it there is named Dr Blosser.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:19 pm

Mike, how long before you can expect to be up and running after the Enteryx procedure?

I have a pretty good case of GERD, but can never perceive the symptoms. My discovery of GERD happened only because I had food lodged in my esophagus from the acid-induced swelling and scar tissue---which in turn narrowed my esophageal diameter. So I'm treated, but really cannot tell when or if I'm being under treated----short of an endoscope procedure. I'd like to mention the Enteryx procedure to my doctor.

On a side note, I have a strange theory about some patients who battle aerophagia. They may very well have poor esophageal closure because of unknown GERD---hence their easy CPAP-induced air breeches into the stomach.

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:29 pm

I don't think you would be far off with that theory. If the tone of the LES is compromised, anything will be able to get past it in either direction.

The procedure has one down side. The first 2-3 days you feel like you shouldn't have done it. The chest pain is pretty bad. About 5 days after you feel pretty good, and by 2 weeks you are eating anything you want, literally. The Enteryx procedure does not eliminate you from having a Nissen Fundoplication in the future if it fails, unlike other procedures, and they always can go back in and put in more polymer. It is done with an endoscope so there really isn't anything to heal other than the injection sites.

Right now it is about the least invasive Gerd procedure available. Plus you get a handy dandy implant card to carry around.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:45 pm

Thanks, Mike! I never even heard of the Enteryx procedure until you mentioned it. My aerophagia is mysteriously on the rise (albeit slight) and my bruxism is back after a three year hiatus. I always suspected both of those were induced by nocturnal GERD. My AHI on both machines is great. Earlier today I came up with the idea of asking my primary physician to arrange an endoscope to see if I am being under treated, and quite possibly having nocturnal GERD episodes causing me to grind my teeth.
The Enteryx procedure does not eliminate you from having a Nissen Fundoplication in the future
This is excellent news. That was one of the new Nissen models that I wanted to test drive with a possible purchase in mind! My car's about due to be replaced after all...

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:28 pm

That would be Nissan... After a Nissen Fundo, you won't feel much like driving...

Wife with a GERD story

Reactive Airway

Post by Wife with a GERD story » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:16 pm

My husband had NO symptoms of reflux. He ended up in ICU after his airway closed down due to esophageal spasm caused by stomach acid. Stidor Effect. He was taking Fosomax, Prednison and Aleve (rare and horrible autoimmune disease he was battling. He had no burping, no acid taste in his mouth, no heartburn. Nothing.
At one point he was on Prevacid and Prescription strength Pepsid both, two times a day. Currently, he takes nothing and has beaten the acid reflux.
Saltine crackers are a God send. They calm the stomach and absorb the fluids. We keep them on the bedside table.
Hard candies: they stimulate saliva which is a natural antacid. He carries them still in his pocket. NO PEPPERMINT!! It actually relaxes the gastric muscles which can allow the acid to migrate north. NOT what you want. Stay away from mint flavor of all types. Including toothpaste.
Small meals, low acid foods.
No laying down for 2 hours after meals, not even reclining too far.
Water, water, water. Beeee the water.

Good luck to others.