sleeping with a sleep mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kavanaugh1950

sleeping with a sleep mask

Post by kavanaugh1950 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Has anyone tried to sleep with a sleep mask that covers your eyes and blocks out the light while also wearing a UMFF mask? My room is so bright even with room darkening blinds and the light wakes me up around five thirty or six every morning and i can't go back to sleep. Since I work evenings and don't get home and to bedd until around 2am this isn't good. I trimmed the eye mask but my umff mask leaks when I wear it. You can't wear it over the umff so I have to wear it under and I'm not sure if its venting right or if I am getting the proper treatment with the leaks. Does anyone have a suggestion? thank you in advance. pat

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:45 pm

This might seem like a lame suggestion....but it is the best I can do on short notice. They sell eye patches that work like bandaids. I had to wear one every day for eye therapy years ago. You close your eyes and stick them on....then take them off when you are done. They are not so sticky that it hurts to take them off...but they do keep light out. They are pretty inexpensive and as a bonus you know you are getting a clean one every night. lol They are sold at most drug stores. They would be thin enough to fit under the mask.

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:57 pm

When I first met my husband, he was working third shift and had to sleep during the day, so I know what you're going through. He used to refer to the "evil blades of sun" that would peak in through even the smallest openings. His solution (which I hated, but it worked for him) was to put cardboard in the windows behind the drapes, and duct tape around the edges. No more evil blades of sun! I think his happiest time was when we were renovating the house and he had to sleep in the basement for a couple of weeks. Cool AND dark....he was in heaven!

Joined the Hosehead Brigade on June 22, 2007

kteague

Too much light

Post by kteague » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:25 pm

Here's another possibility...

I have for years used this as a decorating tool, but it could double as utilitarian. There is a certain type of plastic shower curtain (very slick plastic, not textured) that sticks to glass like a decal. First time putting it on the glass, I dampened it, but it stays on for years. I had one that was a frosted look cut to fit my bedroom windows so anyone couldn't just look right in during the day when the curtains were open. A solid dark colored plastic shower curtain could be cut to pane size and is easily put up and removed. This in addition to the room darkener shades should do the trick.

Kathy

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:46 am

I've got a security light outside my bedroom window... and yes I use a sleep mask. Works great with my Hybrid. I've got one of those memory foam ones that's nice and soft. I've also got a thin one for those nights that I end up switching to a non-Hybrid mask.