Sweet Smell?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Treesap

Sweet Smell?

Post by Treesap » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:10 pm

I've noticed since using my CPAP that I smell a sweet smell for a short period after taking my mask off. I don't smell it when I am using the mask. There aren't any candles or room sprays or anything in my bedroom. When I was using my Comfort Gel Nasal mask, I thought it was my moisturizer (even though it didn't really smell like it). But now that I am using the Optilife Nasal Pillow mask, I still get the smell.

Anybody else get this too? Anyone know what it is? My CPAP machine is brand new. I'm baffled.

Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Treesap, there have been previous posts about noticing different odors immediately after taking off the mask after a night's sleep. Me, I get a smoky, woodsy odor.

I think it's the result of having slept the entire night with filtered air (yep, the XPAP has a filter on it for a reason! LOL) and then smelling the actual odors around our homes. Sweet odors ain't bad!

Kajun

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:55 pm

When I first started the fabric softener on the sheets jumped out at me for the first few minutes each morning. Since using pur sleep oils I haven't smelled it.

TerryB

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:00 pm

Maybe it's the sweet smell of tree sap?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:26 pm

I remember the first night I used the machine, I had gone to bed at 8:30 because I was CRAVING sleep. I woke up at 11:30. Hubby was still up and getting ready to go to bed. I though I was smelling him and asked if he had just showered. Nope. I knew after several nights that it had something to do with the machine. I just don't know what.

tangents

Post by tangents » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:14 am

Some have reported a dusty smell, too. For me, that first natural breath in the morning is wonderful - no imaginary smells, just sweet unfiltered unhosed unpressurized air.

I always wait until I'm wide awake before I take off the mask, because I'm afraid I'll doze off without it. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyway, sweet is lots better than dusty!

Cathy

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 am

tangents wrote:Some have reported a dusty smell, too. For me, that first natural breath in the morning is wonderful - no imaginary smells, just sweet unfiltered unhosed unpressurized air.

I always wait until I'm wide awake before I take off the mask, because I'm afraid I'll doze off without it. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyway, sweet is lots better than dusty!

Cathy
... but bacon is even better than sweet ... mmmm ba con ...
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

tangents

Post by tangents » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:23 am

Awwww... now you've done it.

Coffee!!

Cinnamon rolls!!

And.... Bacon!!

How soon is lunch??

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:45 pm

From the first time of use, I had a sweet, powdery smell as soon as I remove the mask. Glad to know it is not just me.

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:43 am

Doing a far amount of traveling & waking in new places -- the smell changes from place to place................. -SO- .....My thoughts are its the filtered air or machine smells your brain get use to all night THEN with the removal of the mask, the room smells JUMP IN! "Good or BAD???"
Bert

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:32 am

The weird thing is I smell whatever I cooked for supper for the first few seconds I put my mask on. If I cooked something with a lot of garlic....whew!! Thank God it only lasts a few seconds. I guess I could start the air before I put my mask on to get rid of that.

NeedinZs

Post by NeedinZs » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:44 am

Yes, I have that sweet powdery smell as well.
i don't understand because I use unscented EVERYTHING, as anything scented gives me migraines.

The only thing I can figure, in my case, is my bedroom and bath are within the same space, and I do use Zest bath soap, but my mystery smell doesn't smell anything like the bath soap.
And I never smell it lingering in the daytime.

I may try to find a truely unscented bath soap/shampoo as well, maybe that's the culprit. (my family's gonna love me even more).

Also, am wondering if anyone has had experience with their machine picking up smells from other's people houses or hotel? I was scared into NOT using my CPAP at the beach for 4 nights, because of that....

I am new to this, and all your posts have been very helpful, THANKS!

Babette

Post by Babette » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:52 am

I don't notice anything. I'm usually just slightly "snotty" in the morning, so I immediately begin mouth breathing on rising, out of habit. I come from a long line of Phlegm Monsters!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:20 pm

I noticed an intense scent when the mask was removed at my sleep study. It was great! Normally my sense of smell is poor because of my allergies so this was a welcome change. Couldn't identify where it came from. The scent stayed with me for about a minute and then it was gone.

Once I got my own set up I continued to experience this phenomenon for several months every morning. It was the same scent as at the lab and lasted only about a minute after removing the mask. I tried to isolate where it might be coming from by changing shampoo, lip balm, etc but could not. I don't think it is coming from the laundry or around the house since I experienced it at the lab. I was just content to experience it.

I no longer experience it...to bad. Perhaps my body is adjusting to the cpap. But my allergies are a lot better and we will see next month how I do since it is my worst month.

I have not picked up scents from other places when I travel. Just clean out the filter when I get home. The challenge for me when I travel is finding ways to position the hose and finding outlets near the bed.

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:16 pm

NeedinZs wrote:Also, am wondering if anyone has had experience with their machine picking up smells from other's people houses or hotel? I was scared into NOT using my CPAP at the beach for 4 nights, because of that....
My RT told me to NEVER use my machine in a house where there is smoking. It will never leave your machine. Cigarette smoke is pretty invasive though. I don't know about other odors. My mother in law still uses moth balls. I would NEVER use my machine at her house.