Thyroid Problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
oldgearhead

Thyroid Problems

Post by oldgearhead » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Well friends, I have been having a lot of problems lately. I sleep for
a couple of hours, must get up for at least a half-hour before going back to
bed. I cannot use my Hybrid anymore because my face sweats so much it moves all around.
I have had so many cardiac problems at mealtime, that I had a heart cath done just to make sure the stents are still flowing. They are. My cardiologist says nothing has changed.

My GP has been watching my thyroid blood tests with much interest.
First it's low, then it's way high. I hope something shakes out by the end of July. I'm exhausted....

Anyone else ever have thyroid affected sleep?

People have more fun than anybody..

skjansen

Post by skjansen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Oldheadgear:

I do not have thyroid problems, but I just saw my doctor yesterday and he was telling me when he sees patients with fatigue and severe anxiety he immediately suspects either sleep apnea or thyroid problems. He said both of these conditions just make a persons life miserable. If you are dealing with both I feel for you. You did not mention anxiety, but I know mine shoots thru the roof when I am tired. Hang in there...I am sure the docs will get you fixed in no time.

Look at it this way, at least you don't have to deal with the "change of life" along with these things. The doc says that is the only thing that makes these situations even worse...as hard as that is to believe.

Stefernie

Post by Stefernie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Low thyroid sucks.

I've had a low thyroid since I was 10.

Theatre1sm

Graves Disease

Post by Theatre1sm » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 1994 and had radioactive iodine treatment. Now I take a synthetic thyroid hormone every day and have my levels tested every three months (or whenever I am especially tired, or lose/gain weight or have changes in my lifestyle). Then in Nov. of '06 I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I can definitely vouch that when my thyroid levels vary AT ALL I can tell the difference in my sleep.

I have an appt with the DME to discuss masks since I've been getting blisters on my face from the amount of moisture from sweat. I too suffer from "heart incidents" - whether thyroid or anxiety related we can't determine.

HOWEVER - between the two treatments [CPAP and nuking for Graves] my quality of life has trebled! I'm definitely determined to keep working on getting "better"!