CPAP vs. APAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:54 pm

I agree with Oldgearhead and Harikarishimari about varying pressure needs due to sinus congestion and sleep positions. I think that these two issues certainly contribute to my varying pressure requirements. I have also found out that different masks that I use demand more/less pressure. I recently discovered that the chin strap I was wearing was also causing me to need a higher pressure from my machine!

And I'm sure there are many more variables that might cause an increase or decrease in pressure need for an individual. But like RG said, some people seem to do fine on a fixed pressure cpap. For those of us that don't, apap helps us out!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Does the sleep doctor have to write the prescription for the apap or can my primary care physician write it?

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:26 pm

ANY doc can write it

baldbaby

Re: CPAP vs. APAP

Post by baldbaby » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:43 pm

I just got diagnoses with sleep apnea yesterday and have a CPAP perscription today. The pressure is 6 cm/H2O. I've been trying to learn as much as possible as to what kind of machine to get so my money is well spent. Now I see there's a CPAP and an APAP. I'm willing to start with CPAP but it seems like it might make sense to invest in a machine that has APAP capability too just in case. I've only slept one night with a CPAP with a nose mask at the clinic and seemed to do OK, but having to consciously exhale against the pressure was bothering me at first. I understand the APAP doesn't have this problem or am I mixing things up?

I called the clinic and they said they want me on CPAP without much explanation. Any suggestions? Would it still make sense to go with an APAP capable machine even though I have to use CPAP for now?

Dan

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 pm

baldbaby wrote:I just got diagnoses with sleep apnea yesterday and have a CPAP perscription today. The pressure is 6 cm/H2O. I've been trying to learn as much as possible as to what kind of machine to get so my money is well spent. Now I see there's a CPAP and an APAP. I'm willing to start with CPAP but it seems like it might make sense to invest in a machine that has APAP capability too just in case. I've only slept one night with a CPAP with a nose mask at the clinic and seemed to do OK, but having to consciously exhale against the pressure was bothering me at first. I understand the APAP doesn't have this problem or am I mixing things up?

I called the clinic and they said they want me on CPAP without much explanation. Any suggestions? Would it still make sense to go with an APAP capable machine even though I have to use CPAP for now?

Dan
You are mixing things up.

What you want is exhale relief such as EPR (Resmed) or C-Flex (Respironics). This will back off the pressure when you exhale and is quite wonderful.

APAP is a machine that lets you put a pressure range in such as 6-10 and it watches your breathing and responds to restrictions in air and ups the pressure for you to attempt to prevent any more apneas.

APAP would be nice if you can get it. It typically comes with all the bells and whistles -- exhale relief, pressure ranges, and data such as leak rate, Apnea index, Hypopnea Index. BUT, you can also get exhale relief and the data you need in a CPAP. WARNING: Don't think just because it says "data' capable and has a smart card that you are getting all the data you need. Some machines have a smart card and only record hours of usage (worthless...).

Good luck and keep researching machines. Rested Gal has some great links in the Our Wisdom section on the various models.

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

baldbaby

Post by baldbaby » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks Sharkbait. That helps and I see I have more to learn. Would it make sense to get an APAP capable machine in CPAP mode just to have the option later if I need it?

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:10 pm

baldbaby wrote:Thanks Sharkbait. That helps and I see I have more to learn. Would it make sense to get an APAP capable machine in CPAP mode just to have the option later if I need it?
Yes, that is what I did. Have run mostly on CPAP, but it does do APAP.

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap