mask squeals like a pig!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
battlin_blazes

mask squeals like a pig!!!

Post by battlin_blazes » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:11 am

hello all,
question on my mask as I'm trying real hard to use this machine...I really want the headaches and especially the brain fog gone!! but the last couple nights I notice my mask is driving me nuts!!! Its squealing depending on which angle the hose rests at. I'm using a resmed ultra mirage full face and find myself spending most of my time trying to keep the hose in a position so it will stop squealing!! Anybody else run into this and is there a way to make it stop? It will stop in certain positions but the slightest movement and its all over! I ended up giving up and throwing it aside again last night because of the noise it would have been easier to sleep next to a freight train!! Is it a faulty mask? or is this a common problem with cpapers?

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:26 am

Where is the squealing coming from? It sounds like the hose might not be fully seated in the quick disconnect. Try disconnecting the hose with the quick disconnect and putting it back in, it should give a fairly solid click sound when you do it.

heretolearn

Post by heretolearn » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:32 am

BB, you most probably are hearing the air "leak" from some part of your mask that is not sealing well. I'm sure you follow all of the advise about preventing leaks (be sure that the mask seal and your face are clean with no applied oils/lotions/creams....fit your mask to your face while lying down as things tend to shift from upright to sleeping position......does you mouth gap open during sleep? If so , a chin strap may help. Even though you are using a FF mask and the pressure is being accomodated, a FF mask can leak when your jaw moves and the original seal is broken. ) I also sleep with the Ultra Mirage FF sometimes and find that when I hear it leaking, it is usually because of my mouth dropping open. This does not happen if I wear a chin strap though.

battlin_blazes

Post by battlin_blazes » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:19 am

It sounds to me like the exhalation valve, as I notice it mostly when I exhale but I will look it over and make sure my connections are all good. I dont think its a seal problem. also if I hold my breathe and the pressure builds it will start to squeal but for some reason by spinning the hose in a half circle on the mask it will stop? I'll give it good once over and see if I can figure it out.

th

Post by th » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:25 pm

Read this I had the same problem
http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-b ... php?t=9740
I called resmed and they said the MSK VALVE MEMBR. Product code 16617 needs to be pushed solid and sealed they sent me a new part in fact sent it to 2 more times it did not fix the problem for me...I just gave up. Give them a call I never got mine fixed> ijust put up with it.
th

th

Post by th » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:27 pm

battlin_blazes
I sent you a PM

battlin_blazes

Post by battlin_blazes » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:53 pm

thanks th I never thought of wd-40 it works for everything else right? I did take it all apart and clean it (sprayed the snot out of it with wd-40 jk don't try that) and reassemble it and it was quiet during the daytime so we'll see hopefully it will stay quiet!! as if its not annoying enough strapping it on every night then its going to squeal like a pig oh brother and I thought this was going to be an easy fix for my misery. I guess my next question to everyone would be..... Are we having fun yet? Thanks again to all for the help I do appreciate it!!! And I should be done whining now atleast until I get up in the morning!! severe obstructive sleep apnea, a sinus infection, and a round of mono all at once whats next. Talk about feeling like you've been run over by a steam roller....oh thats right I said I was done whining till morning!!! thanks much Rich

NeurosurgeryNP

Post by NeurosurgeryNP » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:44 pm

I had the same problem and found out that it was the quick disconnect valve, just like Mike suggested.

I did however, have a whistling noise from the mask, as other have suffered too. I called Resmed and they shipped me a new mask. They just asked that I send the dysfunctional mask back to them so they could test it out. They were very pleasant to deal with.

th

Post by th » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:19 am

Who did you talk to...I was just sent parts and still have the whistling mask?

busman317

Post by busman317 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:14 am

battlin,
I too had the same squeeling noise coming from the elbow in the mask. The first time I actually disassembled the mask and cleaned it the squeeling stopped and I regained my sanity.

My suggestion...disassemble, clean with hot water and the 100% liquid soup, rinse well, reassemble. Hope it was not just a fluke for me, but it worked. Good luck!!

JerryR

Re: mask squeals like a pig!!!

Post by JerryR » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:43 am

battlin_blazes wrote:hello all,
question on my mask as I'm trying real hard to use this machine...I really want the headaches and especially the brain fog gone!! but the last couple nights I notice my mask is driving me nuts!!! Its squealing depending on which angle the hose rests at. I'm using a resmed ultra mirage full face and find myself spending most of my time trying to keep the hose in a position so it will stop squealing!! Anybody else run into this and is there a way to make it stop? It will stop in certain positions but the slightest movement and its all over! I ended up giving up and throwing it aside again last night because of the noise it would have been easier to sleep next to a freight train!! Is it a faulty mask? or is this a common problem with cpapers?
Yes! I just rec'd my ResMed UM FF Mask Friday and tried it out. Same thing as you experience. Near as I can tell, it is coming from the quick disconnect area. I reviewed the remedies listed in responses to your post. I think I'll give our friends at ResMed a call and see if they'll simply exchange it. Can't sleep with that squealing going on.

battlin_blazes

Post by battlin_blazes » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:06 am

good jerry when you talk to them send them here so they can see all the people complaining about this problem and maybe they'll do something to fix it!!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:51 am

battlin_blazes wrote:good jerry when you talk to them send them here so they can see all the people complaining about this problem and maybe they'll do something to fix it!!!!
I will do so! What made this even more disappointing for me was that I believe this is a mask I can live with. Hallelujah! I find that it fits well, is comfortable (in CPAP speak, comfortable is a relative term) and leaks were minimal. But I can't live with the squeal. Also, as an FYI for anyone considering: along with this mask, I also purchased an F&P HC405 Flexi-Fit nasal mask. Taking chrisp's advice and trying to learn to breathe through the nose. It's a nice mask but, for me, in order to stop the leaks, I have to tighten the straps to the point where it is very uncomfortable - especially on the nose bridge/lower forehead area. I believe I will try a ResMed Activa next. I like the adjustable nose bridge feature like it's big brother the Ultra Mirage FF has and the cushion pads. Much more comfortable than the F&P.

battlin_blazes

Post by battlin_blazes » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:21 am

And to all i'm not in any way trying to slam on resmed but after reading all the replies I do believe they may have a design problem with the mask. I do like the mask I also would like to change to maybe a nasal mask or atleast something minus the forehead pads they drive me nuts. I'm finding when I wake up its usually the discomfort of the forehead piece that causes me to wake up.The resmed machine in my opinion is as quiet as a machine could be and still be running but then you strap on a mask that squeals and there is just no way I'm going to sleep with it. I have to go back to the Dr's on the 17th for a follow up and have my smart card read to see whats happening when I sleep but I'm sure not logging many actual sleep hours with this mask. I'm hoping I can convince him to set me up with the apap for good but we'll see I hear dr's and insurance both tend to frown on that. But I think I will definately try to get a different mask. My wife woke me last night, not sure what time it was, but shook me and said honey you need to get that mask on your snoring like a freight train. But I can't stand the noise!! She says the squealing is the lesser of the two evils but I sure don't hear my snoring. So I guess I have to try something else because I can't keep not wearing it and even with ambien I can't sleep through that noise.

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:18 am

blazes, I too have noticed, at times, my Ultra Mirage FF mask squeels. It took a while to figure out where my squeel was coming from, but it ended up being from the quick disconnect. I took it apart, cleaned everything with warm, Ivory liquid soapy water, rinsed it well, let it air dry and reassembled. That pretty much took care of the problem, but every so often, I get a little bit of squeel. When that happens, I either twist and turn the heck outta the quick disconnect area until it stops or I take it apart, rub it well with my finger inside and out and reassemble. All of this pretty much takes care of the squeel about 99.999% of the time. I think the oils on my fingertips helps lubricate and seal the quick disconnect. Also, something to check is whether or not your removable clamp is on correctly. I noticed when I put mine on backwards, it held the hose in, but squeeled badly.

Hope some of this helps.