Is It Possible to Have Apnea While Awake?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jjposey

Post by jjposey » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:20 pm

whoops! forgot to log in
jjposey

low2

Re: Is It Possible to Have Apnea While Awake?

Post by low2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:02 pm

As for the apnea while awake. Here is how I know I have a problem. ANd the pulmonoligist seems in shock. I seem to not have a trigger to breath until my o2 stats are in the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super strange., They keep asking me if I feel out of breath. Often if i'm singing or talking or if I conciously pace myself with another adults breathing my o2 stays positive like 98. The second I stop thinking about and do something like put on make up or read a book, my lips turn blue!

If anyone has details of something that could increase a desire to breath I would love to get out of the oxygen while awake trap, Especially considering that even on 6 liters of O2 i STILL go into the 80's ???? I just had posterior fossia decompressio surgery for a Chiari 1 Malformation and had a hard time getting them to let me go home! They also wheened me off of pain meds early because of the low o2.

Glad I'm not the only one who has these episodes during the day but does anyone elsehave the problem with low o2 as welll?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:19 pm

You may need a referral to a neurologist.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:You may need a referral to a neurologist.
I second this. Sounds like could be an 'absence' seizure. I said could be, so don't get all scared until you have a good evaluation from a neurologist. I have a seizure disorder, and have occasional absence seizures (much better than my now treated grand mal seizures), these are so slight I don't notice them, but others do. I seem to stare and stop breathing. Hopefully yours is not that, but it would be good to get a good neuro consult.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 pm

If you have "wake apnea," the cause and treatment is probably considerably different from the causes and treatments for "sleep apnea."

Don't let sleep apnea information make you make some wrong decisions about treating your problem.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.