Where do you keep these machines???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Newsgrouper

Where do you keep these machines???

Post by Newsgrouper » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:51 am

I'm a little over three weeks away from delivery of my CPAP machine. Looking around my bedroom I'm trying to decide where I should place it. I'm thinking of putting the CPAP in my night table where I can pull out the mask and hose at bedtime. Will this work or will it be problematic?

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:38 am

Make sure it is lower than your bed, but not on the floor...

derek

Post by derek » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:00 am

I keep mine on the nightstand during the day, (mask & hose in a drawer), but put on the floor at night to reduce (eliminate) the noise.

Mike - why not the floor? Works for me

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:41 am

Derek, it means your bedroom floor is cleaner than Mikesus's (just kidding Mike!!! )

Dust bunnies.

murried2

Post by murried2 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:07 pm

I keep mine on the nightstand beside my bed. So far I've not had any problems with rainout, but I use a hose cover and I'm sure that helps.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:59 pm

I shoved mine up the butt of my DME... But I'm the exception. Plus, I have to admit the air from it is significantly less fresh since I did that.

Liam, who is waiting to get a copy of his prescription (supposedly in the mail) so he can consider trying an Auto machine.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:35 pm

I keep mine on top of a humidifier in the open cabinet of my night stand. It's about a foot lower than the top of the bed, so water has to fight gravity to go through the hose. I made a simple "table" for the head of the bed about a foot wide that goes the width of the bed for the hose to lay on behind my head. Works nicely keeping the hose out of the way. The hose and mask stay there during the day.

Tom

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 pm

An inexpensive way is to put your machine on top of a sturdy box. Get one that is a height that is convenient to reach. I use a large apple box that I got from an orchard processing plant. If you decide to do this, I will provide a few more tips.

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:55 pm

I put mine on top of a sturdy apple box that I got at an orchard processing plant. You need to pick a heighth that is convenient to reach the controls.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Mine is on my nightstand too, which makes it about an inch above the bed. No problems so far. (But there isn't much room for anything else!)
Liam1965 wrote:I shoved mine up the butt of my DME... But I'm the exception. Plus, I have to admit the air from it is significantly less fresh since I did that.

Liam, who is waiting to get a copy of his prescription (supposedly in the mail) so he can consider trying an Auto machine.
Gosh, Liam is seriously considering trying an auto??? Great!
We need him back in the fold, struggling like the rest of us. Misery loves company.

Linda

Davidmcc

Post by Davidmcc » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:39 pm

Our bedhead includes a small chest of drawers with an open shelf above the drawers but under the top. My machine fits in the shelf area like it was make for it. The machine is level with the mattress.
When I use the machine the hose is slipped into the bed and so is under blankets, except for the first 12-15 inches. I have never had a problem with rainout. However, it is summer and our nights are generally mild. I wonder if rainout occurs more in winter. Those of you enjoying cold crisp winter nights might wish to comment.

dankazoo

Post by dankazoo » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:18 pm

I use a small plastic table next my night stand. It is lower than the night stand and since this machine uses water, I don't want it near the finished wood of the night stand. If the water goes on the plastic table, who cares?
Dan

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:24 pm

Mine's on a footstool from the rocker I used to rock my kids to sleep when they were that age. I set the footstool about even with my waist up against the side of the bed. This is because the feeling of the hose running over my shoulder towards the nightstand drives me nuts for some reason. I use either an F&P Oracle or Infinity "mask", so the hose can be routed off the side of the bed at that point very easily.

I do have major rainout problems, though and I can't seem to find a humidifier setting that will consistently keep my sinuses/throat from drying out and then not leave me gurgling to breath through a column of water at 3:30 AM. Sure am open to suggestions.

I tried in the bottom of my nightstand for a couple of nights, but by morning, the unit and humidifier were so hot to the touch that I am afraid they don't get enough air circulation around them unless they are sitting where air flows all around them.

-Jeff

Dot

Post by Dot » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:59 pm

Son made me a foot high stepstool about 30 yrs ago when he was in High School and my machine sits on that-- much lower than top of bed- but still above the bottom of the box springs. I have one of those sit up in bed pillows.When ready to lay down, my reg bed pillow sits between the arms of that sit-up pillow. I run the beginning of the hose under the edge of the reg. pillow and back out about in the center of the pillow. That way is is above my head and stays loose so turning is easier, plus the sit-up pillow arms keeps the reg pillow from smashing flat so can breath easier and the hose stays put with the arms holding it tight between the arms and the regular pillow. This way there is no weight from the hose hanging.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:07 am

Bullwinkle,

This is what I use with (not instead of) my heated humidifier - the Aussie heated hose ("heated cpap tube".) Stops rainout amazingly well. It's not sold in the U.S. but a lot of cpap users have ordered it from the company in Australia that invented it. Very nice people to deal with.

sleepzone.com.au

When you see a price of more than $100 on that website, that's the price in Australian dollars. The price is much lower in American dollars. Most recently, the price in American dollars on that site has been $89 which includes shipping from Australia to the U.S...to your door.

You need the SZ1 if you have a Respironics or ResMed machine.
You need the SZ3 if you have a Puritan Bennett Goodknight machine.

The only difference between SZ1 and SZ3 is that the SZ3 heated hose includes a tiny diameter "air flow sensor tube" running all the way down through the main hose - necessary for Puritan Bennett machines. Respironics and ResMed machines do not use an extra tube inside the main hose. The price is the same ($89) for either SZ1 or SZ3.

To be able to use the heated hose in the U.S., go to Radio Shack and get a 12 volt 1 amp DC converter (Radio Shack part# 273-1776) and an "M" adapter plug. The converter with "M" adapter is about $20 at Radio Shack.

There's a tiny plug on the end of the heated hose wire. Plug the heated hose into the tiny "M" adapter, plug the tiny "M" adapter into the tiny plug on the DC converter, and plug the converter into your wall electrical outlet just like you'd plug in a lamp. All the connections are simple steps involving plugs. No "loose wires" to be wired together at all.