tired and feeling hopeless

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:00 pm

It seems to be quite "trendy" these days to give an OSA sufferer anti-depressants. In many studies, untreated sleep apnea can cause depression but in most (if not all) cases the depression will go away once the OSA is treated successfully.

Doctors seem to agree that attaching a mask and having to use a breathing machine for the rest of your life justifies them prescribing anti-depressants. It's quite common now that doctors routinely prescribe anti-depressants for normal sadness or when you are down....which is alll part of the normal life cycle. In addiiton, many patients expect a physician to write them a prescription while at the doctor's office because many patients feel "ripped" off if not given a med. It's no wonder that at least 50% of our population are considered "depressed" by "experts".

Mile High Sleeper

see recovery articles

Post by Mile High Sleeper » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:26 pm

Kim, lots of people have had similar experiences and it gets better. There are lots of information and links in the light bulb above/our collective wisdom, expand all, help for new and struggling users or
cpaptalk-articles/31/Help-For-New-or-St ... Users.html

Under How Long Does It Take to Feel Better? see the 4 articles, especially the two recovery articles. One of them has links about OSA and depression.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them. - Albert Einstein

Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person. - Mother Teresa

chriml

Post by chriml » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:47 pm

thank you everyone for the support. I do have other issues in my life but I think alot of it is because I am tired all the time and cant seem to have the energy do do much anymore. I am seeing a psychiatrist for my depression. I am much better now then I was a couple of months ago. I wish I could just take better care of myself so That I can enjoy life and my family. I do feel that if I could lose 50 pounds I would get rid of the sleep apnea but I do exercise but not as much as I should. Don't get me wrong I Love food. It's just very hard to sleep with all that gear on and I Don't sleep well to begin with. I know I have to keep trying. Thanks to all of you your wonderful! Kim

Justin_Case

Post by Justin_Case » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Good luck Kim, it sounds like you have a lot of issues going on right now.

I have been on CPAP for over a year continuously and on and off for several years. I don't feel any better as far as my energy, concentration or overall health, in fact I would say my health is declining. I still try tough it out but CPAP doesn't do much for me. There will always be some people that do not respond well to xPAP.

Try to lose the weight but you may be surprised that many anti-depressants have weight gain as a side-effect. Also, anti-depressants typically tend to treat the symptom and not the real problem. I would suggest Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and then ask your psychiatrist to wean you off the meds you are on.