"M" Humidifier Chamber

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RosemaryB-still guested

Post by RosemaryB-still guested » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:18 pm

For a while I had no problem with the log in, now it's not working again. I was just going to add: the fact that it's such a small, inconvenient chamber just adds insult to injury.

Roadie

Post by Roadie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:05 am

I have only used the humidifier a couple of times and that was really to test it as much as anything. It has been pretty humid already where I have been, and I don't really need the humidity unless the air is really dry.

Having said this, I did inspect my relatively new machine and it appears that the chamber was made in 5/07 using mold number 2. I will contact CPAP.com to see if a replacement is appropriate and work with them to correct the problem, before it becomes a problem.

Good thread, lots of interesting info.

Roadie

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:06 am

Roadie wrote: Having said this, I did inspect my relatively new machine and it appears that the chamber was made in 5/07 using mold number 2. I will contact CPAP.com to see if a replacement is appropriate and work with them to correct the problem, before it becomes a problem.
This date seems like it's long after they knew about the problem. Is there a cut-off date beyond which they fixed the problem, but the tanks still have a number 2 on them?

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:11 pm

the ONLY tank that had the problem was made back in 2006, those tanks should have all been replaced by now. Back then the rumor was it was caused by a defective injection mold at Respironics. "Time" has proven that rumor to now be false, it was like I said it was back in 2006, a stupid design to begin with.

IF your tank has a 2007 mfg date stamp, it is NOT the defective tank of that earlier era. If yours is leaking with a 2007 injection mold date, it doesn't mean it is defective, just that it is a stupid design to begin with.

IF you are smart, when you find a tank that doesn't leak you will NEVER EVER EVER take it apart for cleaning. Even the defective tank will work fine if you hot-glue or epoxy the tank lid to the tank.

I haven't cleaned my tank since I got it, if I did, I'd put about 1 tsp of bleach in a container of water pour it in, overfill it a bit and leave it in the sink to soak a few hours, guarantee nothing will be growing in that solution. Rinse it out for a few minutes and should be good to go.

That is the downfall on that design, taking the tank apart to clean, the HC150's tank doesn't come apart and that design has been used for years without any problems or people becoming sick from things growing in the tank.

It is the stupid mfg instructions that say you have to clean it every night, they say that so you cannot sue them if something does decide to grow inside the tank like from using well water with a dead rat doing the back stroke deep down inside your well. Use only distilled water in your chamber and nothing should be growing in it to begin with.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Snoredog wrote:the ONLY tank that had the problem was made back in 2006, those tanks should have all been replaced by now. Back then the rumor was it was caused by a defective injection mold at Respironics. "Time" has proven that rumor to now be false, it was like I said it was back in 2006, a stupid design to begin with.

IF your tank has a 2007 mfg date stamp, it is NOT the defective tank of that earlier era. If yours is leaking with a 2007 injection mold date, it doesn't mean it is defective, just that it is a stupid design to begin with.

IF you are smart, when you find a tank that doesn't leak you will NEVER EVER EVER take it apart for cleaning. Even the defective tank will work fine if you hot-glue or epoxy the tank lid to the tank.
Mine was made in 2006. I'm going to try to see if it leaks. If it doesn't, I just wont take it apart ever again. If it does, I'll glue it together. I only plan to use the integrated humidifier when I travel anyway.

Once again, thank you for the information, Snoredog!

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Roadie

Post by Roadie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:49 pm

I got a reply from the nice folks at CPAP.com, and they said that my chamber is not one of the suspect units. they said that if I do have problems I should feel free to contact them, but for the forseeable future I should not worry.

I am not too concerned, so I will just soldier on.

Roadie

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:31 am

I'm resurrecting this thread because my m-series humidifier tank that has only been taken apart a couple of times in the last 3+ months failed.

When I went to bed last night (Friday Night) there was water all over the nightstand. My immediate thought was maybe rain out got backwashed into the unit. I changed my hose, dialed down my humidifier setting (now that my pressure is lower i'm dealing with rainout issues for the first time) and made sure everything was dry and properly in place.

Woke up this morning to a wet nightstand again. ARGH!

It is saturday morning. I called my DME and since they aren't open had to deal with after hours folks. THey don't have a flipping clue. They are trying to tell me to make sure it is locked (duh?!) and pushed in all the way, (double-duh!) which I already did last night. I basically told them I was aware that this tank is a problem from reading on line and I requested another one.

Mine says 1 in the little circle of numbers and was purchased in June 2007. My guess is this is just a design flaw. (Ya, think?!) and I can't believe that it is failing now after 3 months of just topping it off and only taking it apart twice during my surgery recovery when I was feeling very vulnerable to germs and wanted to be extra cautious.

I'm going to look into getting a stand alone. This is flipping ridiculous! Anyone else have this problem after months of working fine?

Jen

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:06 am

Jen

Yes, thats about the time frame mine failed. Mine had a "1" also. I opened it a bit more than you and blaimed it on me, but maybe not. Medicare said I could have another one after 90 days but when I asked for one from my DME I was told Medicare would only approve $16 and their cost was $39 so they would not buy me one. I did find a new "O" ring and the front seal at Direct Home Medical (cpap.com did not list it) and I got it sealed for a while by replacing the seals. I bought the P&F HC150 and have never looked back. The leaks seemed to damage the heating element because it did not matter what setting it was on it used the same amout of water. My DME would not send it in ("as long as it is heating it is not broke") SOC wrote me a PM and was going to see if he could get them to take it from me. I sent him the S/N but never heard back from him.

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:06 pm

Snoredog wrote:It is the stupid mfg instructions that say you have to clean it every night, they say that so you cannot sue them if something does decide to grow inside the tank like from using well water with a dead rat doing the back stroke deep down inside your well.
bold and color added by me 'cause I absolutely burst out laughing there!!! OMG...that was funny, Snoredog! Love it!!

That's gonna stick in my mind forever, just like your old comment about the NAII, the FreeStyle, and other assorted double hose, slingshot lookin' interfaces... "Looks like it would make a good potato launcher."

"dead rat doing the back stroke deep down inside your well"
Snoredog wrote:Use only distilled water in your chamber and nothing should be growing in it to begin with.
Yep. Works for me.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:42 pm

And just last week, on Live Chat, a Respironics rep (at least, that is how he identified himself) wanted me to let EVERYONE know that:

RESPIRONICS CARES!

I asked about this very problem, and was told it was due to users improperly seating the humidifier tank in the machine. I begged to differ, and was being slyly directed to discuss something of personal interest. I informed him that since I WAS looking for a second machine--I kind of thought that I'd like to know if the problem had DEFINITELY been solved. Image No answer followed that comment.

On to the next issue, which was more personal: silicone sensitivity. This has caused me to quit using my CL 2, a Respironics mask. The representative promised to research this a bit and send me a private message about the problem. Image I would still like to know what to look for when considering a mask so that I could avoid buying them willy-nilly. Interesting, isn't it, that I found out MORE from a Pfizer chemist whose son was a guest at my niece's birthday party? As far as I know, Pfizer does not make anything having to do with xPAP equipment.

Although I was again reassured that RESPIRONICS CARES about all of us who are potential users of the products, I have yet to hear anything from the representative. When I saw the same ID on Live Chat a few nights later, I went onto the chat. The Respironics rep exited quickly, stage left, without saying a word to the two people who were left chatting. Hmmmmmm.

Oddly, I have really liked Respironics' products--but if this is an example of how RESPIRONICS CARES--I may just have to re-evaluate that opinion!

BTW, is it just me--or is anyone else finding a broken picture link for each of Snoredog's photos on the first page of this thread?

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:57 pm

Pics are bad for me too.

I was interested -- but hopefully won't have a problem as my machine and humidifier are only a week old.

Great forum!! Thanks to everyone!!

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:09 pm

Well, I got a used M series machine as a backup/travel machine. It did have one of the "2" humidifiers from a date that's when there was a problem. I have an HC 100 that I can use with it, but not when I travel. I'm still trying to decide if I should replace the humidifier for travel only and never open it or just glue the old one together so it can't be opened and it can't leak.

It's frustrating to have a manufacturer of health care equipment stonewall and hide information. Does not inspire confidence. It would be nice if they just fessed up and let anyone with a tank from a defective lot exchange them. Since I bought my machine used, I can't go to the DME to get a new one.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:41 pm

I have a 2006 M Series Auto and experienced several humidifier leaks in the "olden" days. In retrospect, I think the problem may have been do to the "rubber band" not being completely straight when the two humidifier pieces were put back together. I find that it often takes several attempts to get the entire rubber band lined up with the blue line. But that problem could be attributable to my manual dexterity.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:04 pm

I've never opened mine, or cleaned it, and have never had a problem.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm

JeffH wrote:I've never opened mine, or cleaned it, and have never had a problem.
I never did either, but my first tank still leaked. Best thing you can do is glue the lid on the tank and it won't leak. Silicone, hot glue or epoxy should work.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...