How do you keep sleeping on your side?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
birdshell

Post by birdshell » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:00 am

Or, short of a spouse's elbow:

There are fewer drive-in movies around than there were in my childhood. Perhaps there is an aftermarket source for those "Severe Tire Damage" grate systems...
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:51 am

Ouch!
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:42 pm

birdshell wrote:Or, short of a spouse's elbow:

There are fewer drive-in movies around than there were in my childhood. Perhaps there is an aftermarket source for those "Severe Tire Damage" grate systems...

Are you taking Crud Rude and Socially Unacceptable lessons from me?
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

DawnTCB

Post by DawnTCB » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Not sure if this would help, but when I was pregnant I was told to sleep on my side. My then-DH made me an item we called the "Towel Snake". It was basically two towels rolled length-wise and secured with a couple of bracelets of duct tape. At night I would wedge that behind me and it kept me from rolling over. I have been thinking about making another one.

Dawn

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:37 pm

That's a novel idea Dawn....probably beats my wedge pillow that takes up the entire middle of the bed.

jum001

Post by jum001 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:58 pm

A body pillow placed behind me keeps me on my side. Well, really it's mostly on my side as I rest back against the pillow. Had to develop this when I developed bursitis in my hip.

Julie

Elle

Post by Elle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 pm

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:19 am

Thanks for all of the ideas. I had an old wedge type pillow and tried it last night. Seemed to work fairly well, but I woke up several times half on my back. Guess I need something taller and harder.

snoresnout

Post by snoresnout » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:25 am

the best advice is to work with a variable pressure machine but as with me insurance won't pay so I took a baseball size whiffle ball and twisted it into a tight tee shirt between the shoulder blades. It's just uncomfortable enough that i've learned how to raise up in my sleep and change sides. Also a memory foam cover or mattress cuts down on shoulder fatigue and discomfort. i used to sleep on the couch and slept somewhat better because I couldn't get on my back easily so maybe a long pillow on your sides would help keep you from turning over-good luck!

motherall

Post by motherall » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:12 pm

Might I suggest trying one of the pillows that are made to put between the knees while side sleeping. You could fasten it with a belt or long velcro or the oft suggested panty hose tie. I think it would be just uncomfortable enough to keep you from staying on your back should you be able to roll that far. If not, at least it won't hurt you. You can get them at drugstores and online medical supply sites. Hope you find your solution.

track

Post by track » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:31 am

The last two nights were pretty typical of the difference for me of sleeping on my side all night and getting on my back early in the morning. The night before last I was rolling along with an AHI of 3 with an AI of .3... when I checked at 4AM... until early in the morning when I rolled on my back and that last hour sent my AHI up to 6 and the AI to 1.5 for the night...so clearly most of my episodes came in the hour or two I was on my back. Last night I was able to stay on my side all night and my AHI for 6 hours was 4.0 and my AI was .3. That is an increase of 5 times for AI when I get on my back versus on my side and it only takes an hour or two to get there. Clearly staying off the back plays a huge roll in effective treatment for my apnea.
My 95% number is in the 12s when I stay on my side and it goes to the 14s when I get on my back and it still doesn't give me as effective a treatment.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): AHI

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:08 am

I'm glad that things are going a little bit better, and seem to be improving nightly! Whooo-hoooo!

I don't use software, but believe that the AHI below 5 is considered good?

So my question is, do these changes in numbers really make a noticeable difference? If they are not significantly different in treatment effect, then is it worth the worry at this point to seek better numbers?

As I said, the whole issue of these numbers is not my expertise: I'm only thinking that I recall the desirable values for AHI are <5. Someone who really knows about these may say that I am totally off-base about this issue.

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

catbirdgirl

Post by catbirdgirl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:27 pm

I bend a body pillow in a U shape and tuck it so one half is on each side. it has also helped neck pain I had too.

track

Post by track » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:24 pm

So my question is, do these changes in numbers really make a noticeable difference? If they are not significantly different in treatment effect, then is it worth the worry at this point to seek better numbers?
Assuming the purpose of cpap treatment is to minimize the negative health effects of apnea among other things, then I think anything that gives one substantial lower apnea numbers is an important part of the treatment puzzle. For me...avoiding sleeping on the back makes a substantial difference in the frequency and duration of my apnea events.

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:15 pm

Trying to stay on my side all night is my current challenge. I've had a couple of recent readings over 5, and I'm sure this is because I'm on my back. I've tried the tennis ball idea and I slept on my back with the tennis ball. In fact, I use tennis balls and roll around on the floor to get the kinks out of my back, as a massage therapist once recommended. The tennis balls don't work, so the only idea along those lines would be a spiked mace. (see picture here) http://exchanges.state.gov/culprop/peru ... 000017.htm
Ouch!

Actually, I'm considering buying a much softer solution, something I saw on the target website, called a snoogle. Here's a picture:

http://tinyurl.com/3a3t9k

I tried the body pillow route and that didn't work. This is expensive, including shipping, but it may be worth it. I'll report here if i decide to do it. My hesitation is that right now I have a special pillow that works with my mask, not knocking it to the side.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html