Warning about Resmed Mirage Liberty Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tonyparmiter

Warning about Resmed Mirage Liberty Mask

Post by Tonyparmiter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:37 pm

These masks have a particularly flimsy elbow section that frequently breaks. Consider this design fault before purchace. My experience extends only to the Mirage Liberty Mask, but this may also apply to other Resmed Products

blarg

Post by blarg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Any chance you could post pictures of the breakage so we have a better idea what to watch out for?
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

sleepngo

Re: Warning about Resmed Mirage Liberty Mask

Post by sleepngo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:03 pm

[quote="Tonyparmiter"]These masks have a particularly flimsy elbow section that frequently breaks. Consider this design fault before purchace. My experience extends only to the Mirage Liberty Mask, but this may also apply to other Resmed Products

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:59 pm

Great. I just ordered one today.

Jen

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Tonyparmiter is a new member as of today and has only posted two messages -- both badmouthing the Liberty. I would question his motives and take what he writes with alot of salt -- at least until he justifies his comments.

Just my immediate thoughts on reading his two posts.

zorro1

ladies and gentlmen...

Post by zorro1 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:56 am

My second night on the liberty and it is sensational! tiny mouth mask with nasal pillows. at last after 8 months i am able to sleep with a full face( more like a small mouth mask ) mask. I Iwould like to to see a pic of the broken mask myself.

new2

Post by new2 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:04 am

Zorro, did you say you have a tiny mouth?
That's why it is working for you. I have a normal size mouth and the size large on me is too small to not leak ot of the sides. I have covered it with the big chinstrap and that helps hold it in place because the quick release clamps come undone wile you sleep. It was happening to me at least twice a night and driving me crazy. Theres also a hissing noise now starting in the swivel area and my nose is very sore after too nights.
I'm going to keep trying to make it work.
I promissed I would not compare the two, but there is such a difference between the Liberty and the Hybrid that people should try them both before buying. And turn the machine on. Don't just put them up to your face. The pressure will feel quite a bet lower with your Hybrid and theres nothing pushing your nose up.
I give the Hybrid 4.9 stars and I give the Liberty 1.9 stars (3.8 stars with a thick chinstrap to hold the mask in place and )Once I could get the leaks under control, the mask was not much louder than the UMFF.

new2

Post by new2 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:05 am

Plese excuse the typos....

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:47 am

Linda3032 wrote:Tonyparmiter is a new member as of today and has only posted two messages -- both badmouthing the Liberty. I would question his motives and take what he writes with alot of salt -- at least until he justifies his comments.

Just my immediate thoughts on reading his two posts.
You are really on the ball Linda!

Jen

todd105

Post by todd105 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:30 pm

I really like my liberty so far. Ive had it almost 2 weeks and love it by far.

I've tried the mirage activa and the ultra mirage FF and now the Liberty.

Right now I am very impressed with the Liberty. I think it was the best choice for me and am having great luck with less to no leaks. I wear glasses and that is one plus in my book to wear them with the mask on, as I like to watch tv or read before falling asleep. Its nice to get the mask settled while your not drowsy and just fall asleep with it on.

I give it a 4.5 in my opinion.

The only downfall Ive found so far is the head gear. I find its difficult to get it clipped to the mask without looking in the mirror. But after getting it on and settled, I just leave it on if I get up in the middle of sleep and just click the hose back on when I get back in bed.

I went with the size small and just played with the nasel pillow sizes till I found a good combo. Thats one thing also I like about this, is you get multiple size nasel pillows to work with.

Firefighter's "Murphies Law" If it can go wrong, It will go wrong.

thedave

Post by thedave » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:33 am

I've used the UMFF for about 2.5 years with a Resmed AutoSet Spirit.
The elbow has broken twice. Its the two pins that clink into the mask, holding the elbow joint on. Both times it broke it was because of me grabbing at the mask in response to some unpleasant dreamy moment.
Annoying in that you cant by the clip anymore, you have to buy a kit, which is of course much more expensive.

Anyway, new story, last night I stood on my UMFF and crunched it. Yeah yeah, bubba was sick and sleeping with me and the missus and not breathing the best so I picked her up and stood up and...crunch.

Anyway, so I thought, ok time for a new mask. Now I have seen the Resmed Qauttro and the Liberty. I love the UMFF, really love it, but I do get leaks, so the Quattro promises much. But then I saw the Liberty, and I just wondered whether it might be the thing I need. I have never used nasal pillows before so I dont know if they get irritating. I am a mouth-breather, so what happens when CO2 is expelled from the Liberty, does it have a valve like the UMFF (I cant really see from the photos I have seen). Also, I have the large, standard, UMFF so is the mouth on the Liberty big enough (I have a normal mouth size I suppose). I am a side sleeper, hence the need for a small profile mouth mask.

Also, do I need to software upgrade my AutoSet Spirit to use the Liberty?

Would love to hear from people who have used the Liberty or the Quattro, and maybe have used the UMFF before.