Who doesn't use a humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sybert1ger

Who doesn't use a humidifier?

Post by sybert1ger » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:10 am

I'm just curious how many people don't bother with the humidifier. I used mine for the first month or two and then went on travel. I didn't want to worry about finding distilled water so I left the humidifier at home. I found that I felt very little difference in comfort level and if anything it improved my AHI.

Wolfmarsh

Post by Wolfmarsh » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:35 am

Ive actually got mine on 1 now, because any higher and my sinuses get all nasty and drip constantly the next day. Maybe ill try it without and see how it goes.

tuna

Post by tuna » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:35 am

if I don't use it, I get a bad burning throat, that hurts real bad!

NightHawkeye

Re: Who doesn't use a humidifier?

Post by NightHawkeye » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:49 am

sybert1ger wrote:I'm just curious how many people don't bother with the humidifier. I used mine for the first month or two and then went on travel. I didn't want to worry about finding distilled water so I left the humidifier at home. I found that I felt very little difference in comfort level and if anything it improved my AHI.
My experience is similar to yours, sybert1ger, although it took me about a year to realize that I no longer needed the humidifier. In my early days of xPAP'ing though, I found the humidifier to be absolutely essential.

Regards,
Bill

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:09 am

I use mine as passover, just water no heat. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:39 am

i started out using mine around 2.5 - 3, but i had many problems with rainout and found my nose felt stuffier

now that if feels like a thousand degrees here with brutal humidity, i've had it at zero...much better

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:42 am

sharon1965 wrote:i started out using mine around 2.5 - 3, but i had many problems with rainout and found my nose felt stuffier
About being stuffier with the humidity, does anyone know if more moisture or less moisture helps with nose congestion? Or is it an individual thing? Might be a good question to ask my allergist!

I usually have mine at 1 or 2 now, although in the winter, I had it at 3 or 4.

Pam

topher

humidifier

Post by topher » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:59 am

I use mine as a passover (no heat), I also like the distilled water refrigerated

CHRIS

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:09 pm

Mine is set at the highest @ 5. Using an Oracle a humidifier is essential(says in instructions in big letters-do not use without humidifier!)But I even used my humidifier when I was using a F/P 431 ffm

roster

Post by roster » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:18 pm

I always had very dry nasal passages during the "heating" months. We have a central gas furnace. So when I started cpap during the month of January, the humidifier was set on a medium setting and I got extremely dry nasal passages. I turned it up a notch every night and found that the next-to-highest setting eliminated dry nasal passages.

During the warm months our climate is humid and I don't use the humidifier.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Lepeu63

Post by Lepeu63 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:19 pm

I skip it in the summer but use it in the other months.

"Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Wolfmarsh

Post by Wolfmarsh » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:56 pm

So let me ask this then, when you arent using your humidifier in the summer, do you remove it from the machine completely, or do you just leave the tank empty and turn it off?

denise1768

Post by denise1768 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 pm

I alternate because I'm too lazy to clean it all the time. If I don't use it, my nose is very dry in the mornings, when I do use it, I'm fine. This is all since I started using nasal pillows verses the nasal mask. When I was using the Ultra Mirage II or Activa, I never used a humidifier.

Denise

Nazareth

Post by Nazareth » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Here's my take on the humidifier- Some poeple will need it to help problems,. but I used mine for hte first 4 days and found that even at the highest setting, my mouth was still drying out, just maybe only half as bad as without a humidifier- So, with or without, the mouth dries out, and I really don't like daily washing the thing out so I've decided not to use it- either way, the drying otu is annoying, but not unbearable. I've got the humidifier if I need it for some reason medicaly, but won't use it agian thill then.

BigGuyXXL

Post by BigGuyXXL » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi there –

Personally – I don’t use my humidifier very much. I travel a lot for work and you are right – keeping distilled water around is a pain. When I was using it though, I would sanitize a 20oz Diet Coke bottle and fill it with distilled water. That size bottle is easily resealed and it slips nicely down the side of my CPAP bag where my hose, mask and power cord goes. the 20oz gave me two or three days of water if I only added about an inch to the humidifier.

The times I do use my humidifier is mostly in the winter – and not for the moisture as much as for the heated air. I sleep better in a cold room but the air supplied from my CPAP sometimes gets cold to the point of irritating my nose.

Hope this helps –

Derek