Common sequela: anxiety and OSA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lea

Anxiety and OSA

Post by Lea » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:46 pm

I had anxiety issues prior to being diagnosed with sleep apnea. When I started to use CPAP it kept getting better. I've been on CPAP for a couple months now, and I haven't had any issues lately. I think it might be gone. In my case it seems the apnea was the cause of the anxiety.

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:59 am

jskinner said:
I think you are dead on on that one. I would not be surprised to learn some day that Fibromyalgia is really just a type of (or caused by) sleep disorder. Rather than sleep problems being a symptom in Fibromyalgia it could turn out to be the cause. I think its stage 4 sleep that you need for muscles to repair themselves? If your not getting that something bad is eventually bound to happen. Just speculating at this point of course.
i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 12 years ago, and i was told then that it's a sleep disorder caused by fragmented sleep and lack of restorative sleep...too bad no one wanted to figure out why i had fragmented sleep though, and i was too overwhelmed by constant global pain and extreme fatigue to fight for answers

Last edited by sharon1965 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got...

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:11 am

jrgood said:
I think ultimately we'll find that what we call fibro is being caused by various conditions, but one of those conditions for sure is disrupted sleep.

I can't speak for depression (which also has multiple causes I bet), but lower serotonin levels have been found in people with fibromyalgia. Along with HPA axis hypofunction, lower thyroid, and higher levels of substance P (a neurotransmitter). So along with the muscle repair theory is a theory that endocrine/neurotransmitter abnormalities lead to people having an increased sensitivity to pain. I'm sure my disrupted sleep lead to this for me. At least I hope so.
i agree completely (text bolding above mine) ...the term 'fibromyalgia' simply translates to tissue and muscle pain...it appears to present like arthritis because that seems so much more familiar, however, there is no actual pain in the joint, it's the connective tissue that is the problem...the overage of 'substance p' is a real problem, also, causing the fms sufferer to experience pain where another person would only experience pressure; and of course, the explanation of lack of repair to the muscles and tissue which should occur during restorative sleep is completely accurate...

in my case, i'm hoping for more than increased energy and restedness with cpap...i'm hoping for freedom from almost constant global pain

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Sammy_J

Post by Sammy_J » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:35 pm

Anxiety is a symptom not a disease. we don't inherit anxiety any more than we can inherit happiness. there is a reason why the anxiety is there in people who have chronic anxiety. That must be pursued and proven. Taking a med to supress the anxiety is not a cure since the root cause is still present.

I don't know, doesnt this sound as if you have any "mental illness like anxiety, panic, GAD, etc". it's like you've been diagnosed with terminal cancer. We can only treat the symptoms not the problem?

Wog, how are your numbers now? Is your xPAP treatment been "optimized"?