What value ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepdeprived

What value ?

Post by Sleepdeprived » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:47 pm

Data capability without the software ?

Can one see meaningfull data or to get the good stuff

must one get the software?

Regarding m series auto which version of encore pro is available.

Finally A flex or c flex ?

My ENT will be writing the prescription monday

Sleep deprived

IBTeri

Post by IBTeri » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:51 pm

All I know is that seeing average for 7 and 30 days just don't cut it for me. Helps but at same time usless. Unless your a math person. Go for the card reader and software if you can swing it.Someone else will have to go into more tech details than me. This is what I think not sure about others.

RosemaryB

Re: What value ?

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:45 pm

Sleepdeprived wrote:Data capability without the software ?

Yes! I cannot imagine using an xpap without the data. The insurance won't pay for it, but it was worth every dime.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:17 pm

Get a Resmed S8 Elite or better and there is plenty of data available via a good size, easy to read, LED screen w/merely a simple button combination. One can get by VERY nicely w/o the software and reader cable.

However, theoretically, full data capability is necessary for the physician (if he's interested in your care and welfare and not just compliance) to monitor your xPAP therapy response and to determine any adjustments to pressure, etc. that may be needed. The only reason I say theoretically is because there seem to be a lot of sleep physicians who aren't interested in a patient once they've completed the sleep and titration studies.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 pm

I'd get the A-Flex machine, it will provide necessary data from the LCD, it is the newest model out.

A-flex is supposed to offer relief both on inhale and exhale in addition to Cflex modes in both CPAP and Autopap modes.

The recalled S8 doesn't offer any relief in the auto mode, only in cpap mode.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Sleepdeprived

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:10 am

IBTeri wrote:All I know is that seeing average for 7 and 30 days just don't cut it for me. Helps but at same time usless. Unless your a math person. Go for the card reader and software if you can swing it.Someone else will have to go into more tech details than me. This is what I think not sure about others.
Hi IBTeri

Thanks for responding

Sleepdeprived

Sleepdeprived

Re: What value ?

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:12 am

RosemaryB wrote:
Sleepdeprived wrote:Data capability without the software ?

Yes! I cannot imagine using an xpap without the data. The insurance won't pay for it, but it was worth every dime.
Hi RosemaryB

Thanks for responding

I assume you refer to the software

Sleepdeprived

Sleepdeprived

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:20 am

[quote="Slinky"]Get a Resmed S8 Elite or better and there is plenty of data available via a good size, easy to read, LED screen w/merely a simple button combination. One can get by VERY nicely w/o the software and reader cable.

However, theoretically, full data capability is necessary for the physician (if he's interested in your care and welfare and not just compliance) to monitor your xPAP therapy response and to determine any adjustments to pressure, etc. that may be needed. The only reason I say theoretically is because there seem to be a lot of sleep physicians who aren't interested in a patient once they've completed the sleep and titration studies.

Sleepdeprived

Post by Sleepdeprived » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:25 am

[quote="Snoredog"]I'd get the A-Flex machine, it will provide necessary data from the LCD, it is the newest model out.

A-flex is supposed to offer relief both on inhale and exhale in addition to Cflex modes in both CPAP and Autopap modes.

The recalled S8 doesn't offer any relief in the auto mode, only in cpap mode.

blarg

Post by blarg » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:12 am

Just to confuse you even more, if it were me I'd head for either the M Series with a stand alone humidifier, or the classic RemStar Auto. If you want to get a better feel for the differences:

viewtopic.php?t=19753

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:17 am

Lets clarify this Resmed Recall situation: there were ONLY SEVEN instances of a problem out of THREE MILLION machines sold. AND not all S8s sold had the problem, just certain lot numbers. The Recall was VOLUNTARY and NOT FDA mandated. Plus since the Recalled serial numbers have been posted and all Resmed dealers/sellers notified you are NOT going to be sold a brand new Resmed S8 of any model that is subject to Recall.

I'm NOT going to pick on a specific brand BUT one of the other brands had a fairly common leak problem w/their integrated humidifier that the company was very much aware of, didn't notify patients or DMEs of, and ONLY replaced the PART on those that patients complained about and w/no notification and authorization from the manufacturer many patients had problems w/their DMEs and had to go direct to the manufacturer w/their complaint before the patient received replacement.

That being said to balance the criticism of the Resmeds I have had the loan of a RemStar Auto w/C-Flex for 3 weeks and then I also self-purchased a brand new one that I've only used 5 days before returning to my S8 Elite.

I have the software and cable reader for both the Respironics (EncorePro v 1.5.7) and the Resmed (AutoScan 5.7). I also have the MyEncore for the Respironics to go w/the EncorePro.

The Resmed AutoScan 5.7 was EASY to install. I installed it myself in one try. (And it is the ONLY software this untechnical old broad was ever able to install and use on first try!). I finally had to have my 'puter guru install the EncorePro and MyEncore and the driver. I find the information and graphs from the Resmed AutoScan easier to understand than the EncorePro graphs, the MyEncore was definitely needed by me to help understand the EncorePro data. The ONE thing I DO like better about the EncorePro data is the Daily Events Per Hour table.

I did buy a used Resmed S8 Vantage (autoPAP) w/just 505 hours on it but only used it a few days before the Recall notice came out and it was one of the Recalls. I haven't received a replacement Vantage yet altho I have been notified I will receive one w/in 4-6 weeks BUT ONLY BECAUSE I told both Resmed and my DME supplier that replacement wasn't urgent because I have my Elite to fall back on and use. (I'm also on supplemental 02 thus making mine an emergency replacement had I not had the Elite (and the RemStar as well) to fall back on.

I would clarify that I was NOT AT ALL UNHAPPY w/my RemStar Auto w/C-Flex therapy. Its just that I missed not being able to just hold down two buttons to get my average pressure, leak rate, AHI, AI, HI and hours used that night first thing in the morning when I woke up like I can w/my Resmeds.

Both companies produce good xPAPs, both have their plusses and minusses. Puritan Bennett's GoodKnight Auto has some advantages over both the Resmed and the Respironics as well as its disadvantages from what I've read. I just happen to prefer the Resmeds because of the ease of obtaining the most interesting data via the easy to read, good size, LED screen.

One other point: the Resmeds store their data in the machine. The Respironics data is stored on the data card. In the unlikely event the data card is damaged, the Respironics info is lost, its still there in the Resmed machines.

Just keep in mind that the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of xPAP therapy is your response and success with its use. Both the Respironics AND the Resmeds are very capable of providing good therapy. Good luck!

Last edited by Slinky on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

blarg

Post by blarg » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:21 am

Slinky wrote:Lets clarify this Resmed Recall situation
Thanks for the clarification. The ONLY reason I chose Respironics over ResMed is because of exhalation relief in auto mode.

It's my personal belief that Snoredog was trolling for attention, but thank you for summing up the situation clearly.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:30 am

Eh, SnoreDog can be a crusty ole goat at times but he's also an asset to this forum at times so we take him at his best and his worst and appreciate him for the good he does contribute. He's helped me on more than one occasion w/some good advice or info.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:43 am

Slinky wrote:Lets clarify this Resmed Recall situation: there were ONLY SEVEN instances of a problem out of THREE MILLION machines sold. AND not all S8s sold had the problem, just certain lot numbers. The Recall was VOLUNTARY and NOT FDA mandated. Plus since the Recalled serial numbers have been posted and all Resmed dealers/sellers notified you are NOT going to be sold a brand new Resmed S8 of any model that is subject to Recall.
To clarify a bit more, imho...

There were seven KNOWN (and/or REPORTED) instances.

As for the recall being voluntary and not FDA mandated, that's right.

To me resmed's action was similar to a person who knows something they did is going to lead to being fired (no pun intended) from their job, and turning in their resignation ("I QUIT!") days before the boss says, "You're fired." I don't mean that resmed deliberately did anything wrong; but, to paint their issuing a recall of 300,000 S8 machines as being something unusual because it was "voluntary".... well, I think they were in a corner and made the smartest business move they could. Better that than waiting on the FDA to order them to do it, which I think would have happened sooner or later. It's always better PR for companies to do voluntary recalls than to have the FDA step in officially.

DMEs may very well have all been notified by now of the recall. I don't know if that means all DMEs will carry through the way they should, however.

There's a couple here in town. Husband has an S8 Escape he received last summer. Playing bridge at their house recently, I mentioned the recall and asked if their DME had contacted them to check on the serial number. No. They let me write down the serial number to check when I got home. Sure enough, it's one of the machines subject to recall. Over a month after the recall was announced, their DME had not contacted them in any way about the recall.

Given how some stores work, I'd want to check the serial number of any "brand new" S8 machine before I accepted it from any DME. Might be one that's been sitting on the shelf awhile if the DME is casual about all this, or if they are even aware of a recall. I'd turn the machine over and examine its belly for the serial number, myself.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:23 am

No more problems getting the AutoScan 5.7 software and reader cable than gettng the M series software and cable any more. Both are doable.

If you get the M series keep in mind that you need v.1.8 EncorePro as the older versions skip days of data now and then w/the M series. They don't seem to w/the "classic" RemStars, just w/the M series.