Mouth tape..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Brent Hutto

Post by Brent Hutto » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:28 pm

But I have a beard. How can I tape my mouth shut ? Its not fair.
But.............
But............
Buuuuuuuuut.........
Hey, you can tape your mouth shut with a beard. It's untaping it that's going to be a problem.
The best laid schemes o' mice and men
Gang aft a-gley;
And leave us naught but grief and pain
For promised joy

--Robert Burns

rested gal

Re: Taping mouth shut

Post by rested gal » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:35 pm

CW06 wrote:I would not suggest taping your mouth shut regardless of the tape you use.
I suggest that you get a chin restraint that you can use over and over.

This way you can get the best therapy possible
ohhhhkayyyyy. yeah. right.

Aswab

Post by Aswab » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:19 pm

Oooops!, didn't notice this was a SPAM Gator BUMP.

Blenderm - from the 3M Website

Indications for Use

* As a cover for allergy 'patch testing'
* Protecting topical medications
* Protection of dressings during hydrotherapy
* Protective covering for short term fixation of wound dressings

3M
Please note: 3M™ Blenderm™ Surgical Tape is indicated for short term use only. Prolonged use may lead to skin maceration.

“Maceration”

Definition: Maceration of the skin occurs when it is consistently wet. The skin softens, turns white, and can easily get infected with bacteria or fungi.
Last edited by Aswab on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
O.G.S.D.K.

Aswab

Post by Aswab » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:25 pm

I have a beard and I tape. It works OK for me. I do not have a very heavy beard and I keep it short but I find enough facial real estate to get tape to adhere. Taking it off is not too bad if I have the RG Tabs and I go slow. It has made my therapy more effective. Chinstraps weren't cutting it. Tight enough to stop leaks, too tight to be comfortable. I also wondered about my chin being pulled back and creating apneas, I have a dumb xPAP so I can't tell for sure.

I have tried a J&J Waterproof, 2" cloth surgical tape I found at CVS and 3M 2" Durapore Silk surgical tape. J&J seems to be less sticky than the 3M (therefore easier and more comfortble to remove) but secure enough. I tried RG's 2x1" and it didn't work for me. To big a mouth and too much other real estate to cover.

I have relaxed into my therapy so much more with taping even though I do find it a little strange and, at times, worrisome. Getting a throat tickle or cough is the biggest hassle.

David
O.G.S.D.K.

Bob...

Post by Bob... » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Nexcare - Gentle Paper Tape works for me.

Bob

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:44 pm

I use the Johnson & Johnson 1" wide paper medical tape, the type hospitials use after surgery. The tape itself is very thin, it says hypoallergenic on the package, comes in dispenser rolls and non-dispenser for less than about $4. It is also considered a micropore tape since it allows the wound to breathe through the tape.

Tape goes over your mouth horizontally and it doesn't really need to cover the complete opening of the mouth. I cut a piece about 1-3/4" long then fold back over itself about 1/4" of it to make a quick removal flap. I've used this tape every night for more than 6 months, never caused any irritation to my lips.

The more durable the tape you use the more irritation on the lips when you go to remove it, so I would stay away from any cloth or water proof type tapes. The J&J tape doesn't leave any adhesive behind. If I was trying to hold some bandages on I'd probably use a better sticking tape.

If the Activa is cutting into your nares it is probably too small for you, suggest trying a UltraMirageII nasal mask, I think it seals just as well and is much lighter and smaller.

vester1

Mouth Tape

Post by vester1 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:45 pm

It was mentioned that the Johnson&Johnson 1" wide paper medical tape was about $4.00 a roll? Where may one purchase this medical tape?

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:16 pm

I got mine at local Longs Drugs store.

two

Post by two » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:13 am

Of the tapes I've tried, 3M Micropore, a hypoallergenic surgical tape, 2" wide, works the best. It's a paper tape, easy on the skin, with just enough sticking power to work. I also reuse it a time or two, reducing the sticky further. As 3M brags,

"Micropore tape is excellent for repeated applications on sensitive skin and elderly patients. It allows for moisture evaporation and skin to breathe and leaves minimal adhesive residue upon removal."

You can find it by the roll in most large pharmacies, various packaging. Or, you can get it a lot cheaper online in boxes of 6 rolls (3M # 1530-2). Be sure you get the 2", as it also comes in other widths.

SlidellSand

Post by SlidellSand » Thu May 18, 2006 2:08 pm

Thanks for the chin strap suggestion. But the chin strap doesn't work for me and a lot of other people who post on this site. I manage to breath through my mouth with a chin strap. I've tried several chin straps and none of them work; and yes, I attach them properly. Tape is perfect. Since I started using a 1" wide tape made for sensitive skin I haven't had a mouth leak at all.

feelinfab

Post by feelinfab » Thu May 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Try Polident or the denture adhesive tabs instead the actual tape (which I never tried.) It works GREAT for me! What a brilliant idea.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu May 18, 2006 6:34 pm

Here's a link to the dental cream/dental strips that are working for some people:

May 03, 2006 subject: dental cream/fixadent on mouth works better than tape for me

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Thu May 18, 2006 7:59 pm

cw06:
I have a company that specializes in sending out disposables for cpap machines if you are interested.

OK, I'll bite! What's the name and access mode to your company?

roster

Just One Man's Very Successful Mouth Taping Procedure

Post by roster » Thu May 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Just One Man's Very Successful Mouth Taping Procedure

I tried chinstraps for the first two months and although they kept my mouth closed I would wake up from apnea episodes due to the pressure leaking out through my lips. Taping the mouth sounded stupid and hideous to me but I tried it, it works beautifully for me and it is quite comfortable (the chinstraps were hot and uncomfortable!). Here's the procedure that works for me:

Mouth taping

Tape: Nexcare Gentle Paper Tape (3M Micropore Surgical Tape) 2-inches wide (available from many internet suppliers; I buy mine from Walgreen’s - $6.99 for 360 inches).

Nightly routine:
1. Notify family silent for 8 hours (phone calls – take message).
2. Wash thoroughly and dry face.
3. Apply Chapstick (generic brand) to lips.
4. Roll under about 1/16 inch of tape end to form tab for easy/quick removal of tape in morning.
5. Cut length of tape to cover lips plus about ¾ inch on each side of lips.
6. Turn lips in slightly (opposite of puckering) and center and apply tape horizontally across lips.

It doesn’t sound like it, but there is almost no discomfort wearing the tape and zero mouth leaks. There is slight discomfort when removing the tape, but the Chapstick stops the tape from adhering to the sensitive lip tissue. I find that occasionally tape adhesive is left on my face in the mornings. This can be rubbed off gently with alcohol swabs which are under $2.00 for 100 at about any pharmacy.

So far the only downside for me is the occasional night when I awaken and need to take an Ibuprofen and glass of water for muscle aches or headache. Then I need to remove the tape and retape.

I should add that I have sneezed quite forcefully right through the Swift nasal pillow and the mouth tape held.

I have now coughed a few times through the Swift nasal pillow and that was a little bit scary. The mouth tape held and the cough seemed to blow back through my nose and almost blew the Swift interface off. Oh well, I lived and now it won’t be so scary when I have to cough again.

Note: Some have expressed a concern about a power failure with the mouth taped. I have turned my machine off to test this and I could easily breathe through the exhaust ports on the Swift nasal pillow. Of course if you continue to sleep when the power goes off you are getting no therapy and apnea episodes will occur.

Note: I did have a step of applying Ayr gel to my nostrils but I discontinued the use of Ayr because I came to the conclusion that the saline in the gel was contributing to nasal irritation.

Note: Other brands and types of tape may be just as good. I haven’t tried any because I am satisfied with the 3M type listed.

Offerocker

TAPING

Post by Offerocker » Thu May 18, 2006 9:35 pm

Another tip: When removing the tape from upper lip, pull the tape DOWNWARDS, in the direction of hair growth. Somewhat gentler.