Using CPAP on flight to Australia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
crtrun

Using CPAP on flight to Australia

Post by crtrun » Mon May 21, 2007 12:40 pm

I will be going to Australia in October. I have got the form printed off to take to my doctor on June 5th to get his approval to fly to Australia. If I get permission from Qantas to use CPAP on flight, do they have certain areas on the place? Any tips will help. I have flown in the U.S. but did not need to use the CPAP in flight.

billbolton

Re: Using CPAP on flight to Australia

Post by billbolton » Mon May 21, 2007 8:57 pm

crtrun wrote:If I get permission from Qantas to use CPAP on flight, do they have certain areas on the place? Any tips will help.
You will need to contact the "Special Handling" group at QANTAS. They are quite familiar with CPAP requests and have standard form they will ask you to fill out. If you have a CPAP machine that is already on the lengthy pre-certified list (which is in the form) its a straightforward process.

In most cases you don't need to fill out the medical approval parts of the form if your only "special handling" need is to be able to use a CPAP in flight.... those parts are there for those who have more specfic needs.

There are are specific locations in the aircraft that have "mains power" sockets available, so they will usually try and assign you those specific seats for a CPAP user, but it depends on the class you are travelling in, the sector involved, and which type of aircraft is operating the particular flight on the particular day.

Anyway talk to "Special Handling" and they will explain to you what you need, where the seats are etc etc.

Cheers,

Bill

crtrun

CPAP on flight to Australia

Post by crtrun » Mon May 21, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks Bill.

Re: Using CPAP on flight to Australia

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:44 pm

Is permission required to use a CPAP machine onboard if you run it from a battery?