Trying to keep a sense of humour...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
johntee

Trying to keep a sense of humour...

Post by johntee » Sat May 19, 2007 3:47 pm

In between my frustrated crying jags as I try to make the hybrid mask work for me, I can sometimes see the humour of the situation...

tangents

Post by tangents » Sat May 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Johntee
Too funny! While I loe a good sense of humor, I also just purchased this mask, and followed Rooster's fitting guide, and it seems to fit really well.

I hope this works, try this link:
[url]http://www,cpaptalk.com/viewtoipi.php?t=14422[/url]

Good luck,
Cathy

johntee

Post by johntee » Sat May 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Just to correct the link, its:
viewtopic.php?t=14422

and yep, that's where I got some ideas... I also used Chapstick, cut the chin flap out of the medium mask (which was a disaster), and still no luck... Occasionally I can get some pressure to buildup, but if I blink the wrong way, it can disappear. With no obvious leaks anywhere...

I think it's voodoo -- at some point I'll chant the spell in the way it wants, and it'll work, but it's been 6 days of (valiant) attempts so far, and no dice.

(They did give me the older headgear though (all black), so maybe that's part of the issue... I'm going to see if I can shame them into updating the headgear.)

I ordered an OptiLife mask which should be here around Tuesday, so I hope that will work better for me (at least there's only 2 spots it can leak)...

Thanks,
John

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Sat May 19, 2007 6:15 pm

I will light a prayer candle for you Johntee

betty303

Post by betty303 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 pm

Johntee

I have spent HOURS trying to get this mask to fit -sometimes it does and sometimes if just won't stop leaking. There are SOOOO many variables to consider. size of cushion, size of pillows, chin guard or not, three different directions of headgear to see how they leverage against one another.....aaargh.

I have slotted nares and it keeps leaking out the tip of my nose. I got it all tightened down, and while I finally got the leaks to stop, it hurt too much. So I put the whole rig aside for weeks, then tried it again (without taking the mask apart) and loosened the straps across the cheeks and on top of the head quite a bit so it didn;t hurt my nose so much, then tightened the bottom straps a very little bit to stop leaks there and taah daah - had a good night.

So even if you give up - put it aside and try again - there may be some combination that will dawn on you at another time.

kteague

You and your Hybrid

Post by kteague » Sat May 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Bless your heart! I know it's not polite to laugh at another's misfortune, but since you laughed at yourself first...

You're creative - you'll conquer this thing.

Kathy

blowfish

Post by blowfish » Sat May 19, 2007 7:36 pm

Last edited by blowfish on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

johntee

Post by johntee » Sat May 19, 2007 7:41 pm

The pigtails and the scrunchies are what made me reach for the camera...
Jesus, what a sight....

kavanaugh1950

Post by kavanaugh1950 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:22 pm

WELL, THATS SURE SOME PICTURE. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY PROUD OF YOUR MASCULINITY TO BE ABLE TO WEAR THOSE SCRUNCHIES!!!! I'M STILL LAUGHING ,THANKS I NEEDED THAT. PAT

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat May 19, 2007 8:35 pm

I'm sorry...I'm sorry... I just can't quit laughing!!

pignose AND pigtails!!!

Hey, it could get worse:

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

SleepySandy

Post by SleepySandy » Sat May 19, 2007 8:53 pm

johntee, I feel your pain

betty303 wrote:I have slotted nares and it keeps leaking out the tip of my nose
I also have slotted nares and I have some nights where the right nasal pillow will leak. I don't understand why it's fine one night and completely impossible the next. I actually have a pony tail holder holding the 2 nasal pillows closer together. That seems to be working now.

I have determined that if I can get ther whole mask to tilt back more it would be perfect. I push on the elbow piece from behind and it tilts the nasal pillows back just enough. I just don't know how to make it stay that way - none of the strap adjustments seem to make it move the direction I want it to go. It seems I need to hook something around the elbow piece and run it over my head. I can't hook it to a strap because it would pull the strap forward, Maybe I need to attach it to my hair and hope it doesn't pull my hair out.

I *might* consider posting a photo if I come up with something.

johntee

Post by johntee » Sat May 19, 2007 9:21 pm

SleepySandy wrote:I have determined that if I can get ther whole mask to tilt back more it would be perfect. I push on the elbow piece from behind and it tilts the nasal pillows back just enough.
Have you tried the rubber band or dental floss trick? (Connect the top 2 posts with either a rubber band or floss, and run it against the front of the pillows, in one of their grooves, to push the pillows closer to your face.)

I'm just wondering now why they haven't come up with more rigid pillow stems, that could adjust and hold their positions better (like the flexible part of a drinking straw). Leave the top of the pillows soft and flexible like it is now, but mounted on a more rigid, adjustable stem... Any engineers out there, or anyone own a plastics factory?

wog

Post by wog » Sat May 19, 2007 10:23 pm

[quote="johntee"]
I'm just wondering now why they haven't come up with more rigid pillow stems, that could adjust and hold their positions better (like the flexible part of a drinking straw). Leave the top of the pillows soft and flexible like it is now, but mounted on a more rigid, adjustable stem... Any engineers out there, or anyone own a plastics factory?

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sat May 19, 2007 10:29 pm

John,

Perhaps you can give your eye sockets a break and have Linda (Padacheek) make you a PadaString.

Ted

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat May 19, 2007 11:01 pm

well (as the late Ronald Regan would say)

at least your not balding from it (yet) hehehe.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...