Does Drooling Mean I Am A Mouth Breather?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Post by Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 6:36 pm

JennyLouWho

I started with an Ultra Mirage FF mask - and had bad marks on my cheeks, along the side of my nose too (and on the bridge of my nose). The mask always was painful along the side of my nose too - felt like the mask just cut in too much there.

Now I use a Fisher Paykel 431. The has a different cut - the profile of the mask does not go in so much along the nose and for me, it also doesn't leave marks on the bridge of my nose (at least most of the time.)

The 431 is cheaper too - usually just a few dollars over $100. I just got a slightly used one to use as a back up on eBay for $49.

I tried both the UMFF small and medium. The small was a bit too short, the medium a bit too long. I use the small 431 - but it goes slightly under the chin and runs bigger on the whole than the UMFF.

There is also a F&P 432, which has a foam cushion that fits in and some say it leaks less. I don't have much leak trouble with the 431, so I have tried the 432 (and it is more expensive). I have just bought one to try on eBay for around $60. I have read on this forum that the sizes have changed a bit from the 431, and some have said that if they wore a small 431, they need a medium 432 [others can chime in here!]

Hope this helps. No guarantee that what worked for me will work for you - but our UMFF discomfort sounds similar - maybe the F&P 431 could work for you too.

DreamStalker

Re: Mouth Breathing

Post by DreamStalker » Sat May 19, 2007 6:49 pm

st3v3k4hn wrote:
blarg wrote:It refers to any air passing in any direction through the mouth. The problem with breathing out through the mouth is that you then depresurize your airway. A lot of apneas happen right at the very beginning of inhale, which means that your throat will be given the opportunity to close. Unless your mouth magically closes and completely seals to repressurize the airway, then congratulations, you just had an apnea. That's why we like to make sure the mouth isn't leaking air at all period, or that you're using a full face mask.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. So, final question, will any and all mouth breathing show up as a leak in Encore Pro? Thanks...
Steve
Just to clarify blarg's comment ... mouth breathing does generally refer to "air passing in any direction through the mouth" ... but this can only occur when using a full face mask (covers mouth).

When using a nasal mask (cusion, pillow, or other), the more correct term is "mouth leaks" although many on this forum interchange the two terms. Anyway, with "mouth leaks" -- the air flows out of the mouth since your lungs and airway are under pressure. This is bad for treatment because the whole purpose of the treatment is to keep your entire airway system under the prescribed pressure. In other words, if the machine's airflow is unable to overcome the leaks, the pressure will not be maintained -- treatment is compromised ... plus it will cause dry mouth because moisture loss will exceed moisture input from humidifier.

So to answer your final question: Yes -- mouth leaks will show up as a component of the leak value (includes mask leaks + mouth leaks + hose leaks + humidifier leaks ... basically sum total of all leaks) in EncorePro.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat May 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi Jenny and welcome to the board. Did the doctor tell you why he ruled out nasal pillows masks for you?

"(as opposed to nasal pillows which my doc. won't let me use)"

What pressure were you prescribed?
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Sat May 19, 2007 8:14 pm

Elle
I used both UM II and Activa

Both are my best masks however the UM is much lighter on your face vs the Activa

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation