ready for saturday night!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

Post by Babette » Tue May 15, 2007 11:47 am

Jefe, thank you for that post!!!! I can't think of a better thing to tell this girl.

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
B.

brackstone

Post by brackstone » Tue May 15, 2007 1:01 pm

Well I have to admit intially I was worried that my girlfriend of almost four years would leave me because of the CPAP but she actually loved it. Now she doesn't have to wear Ear Plugs.

I can understand if you needed to carry around an oxygen tank all day. Is that still messed up? Yes, in my opinion, you should love someone no matter what.

But I can see someone elses perspective because it's something everyone else must see and most guys do take pride in their lady's appearance (whether they admit it or not).

However the fact that something someone wears when they are sleeping could affect a relationship I find truly abhorrent.

Personally I'd address this beforehand if I was going to get into a serious relationship with someone, because I wouldn't want to deal with the stress you are feeling now.

Try not to cry too or worry, things will always work out for the best

I wish you the best of luck new2, though I think anyone that doesn't want to go out with you because of CPAP is a moron and you are better off without them.

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue May 15, 2007 1:14 pm

BTW, in case you couldn't tell, Jefe and Brackstone are "Princes".

I suspect that if you gave him a chance, your new boyfriend might be one too.

Cheers,
B.

new2

Post by new2 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:36 am

Babette, you are a sweetheart and you make me feel so young.
I wish I was as young you make me feel. Although I'm sure I suffered from OSA as a child and teen, I wasn't diagnosed until my mid 20's and my first year was hell. I could never comply with my therapy.
Up until this year, I was waking up all hours of the night to go to the bathroom so it as too much trouble to put my mask back on every time because once I woke up all I wanted to do was take everything off to get comfortable enough to get back to sleep. I spent a small fortune on masks becaus my insurance will only let me have a new one every 3 months. It's bad insurance. I can sleep all night with a Hybrid now.
But tonight, I can't sleep with my Hybrid because I have sores on my gums from stress (bad weekend) and anything near my mouth hurts like hell.Forget the new Swift II for the same reason. I have an opus I may try again tonight, or my nasal-aire II.
Wish I had one of those freestyle walruss looking masks from innomed. I should call my doctor in case it's some kind of reaction.
It's always something, isn't it!
You sould like a great gal! Can I call you Babs?

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed May 16, 2007 10:12 am

OH DEAR!!!!!!!!! (laughing ruefully) The assumptions we make when we go online....

Yes, dear lady, you may call me Babs. I'm so sorry I assumed you were a youngster!

You know, there's a whole 'nother mindset regarding sex and us - ahem - older ladies. (BTW, I'm 42 - but I have the body of a 87 year old woman - just ask my doctor)

For one thing, we're embarrassed that we ARE older. We're not 20 and tight bodied, and I for one feel the need to constantly apologize for the way my body looks. No amount of self-esteem coaching will get me over that. I was too embarrassed to be seen naked in the light when I was 20 - I'd kill for that body now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck, after the homicide, I'd probably strut naked down the street showing it off...

Dearest Lady, now I understand. You don't want to ADD to the list of embarrassing things you feel you need to apologize for: "Sorry, I'm old, I'm not firm, things fell, I have stretch marks, I've got this bad knee and can't get my ankles behind my neck anymore..." Hey! I know! Let's throw in A CPAP to really ADD to your attractiveness.

Oh my dear, I'm laughing and crying and EMPATHIZING all over the place right now....

Well, ya' gotta fess up. You have to. It's your life. And at our stage of life, well, honey, you don't want to DIE there on the pillow next to him, do you?

By fessing up you give him the chance to say "Oh you too? I was worried how to tell YOU!" And if it's not about his CPAP, it's about his, er, DYSFUNCTION. Ewwwww...... Sigh..... Sex with elderly men is sooooo not fun (sometimes)... but I'll lose my job if I start dating teenagers, so my options are kinda limited at this point...

Hot looking 21 year olds are welcome to PM me.

Hey Babe, hang in there!!!!!!! Me, I'm sleeping alone until my Prince shows up in his gleaming electric wheelchair with a flashing cpap machine built for two...

Hugs,
Babs

Post by Guest » Wed May 16, 2007 2:07 pm

I have a friend that has a medical problem, she told her new man, that she wasnt a woman, she was a man, then laughed and told him her medical problem. She says, once he recovered from thinking he made out w/ a guy, that her problem wasnt so bad. They are still together.
I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to tell someone I want to sleep with that I'm a male. lol Imagine his face though!!!

Post by Guest » Wed May 16, 2007 2:08 pm

I have a friend that has a medical problem, she told her new man, that she wasnt a woman, she was a man, then laughed and told him her medical problem. She says, once he recovered from thinking he made out w/ a guy, that her problem wasnt so bad. They are still together.
I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to tell someone I want to sleep with that I'm a male. lol Imagine his face though!!!

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed May 16, 2007 2:12 pm

You will not be surprised to hear that I tell people that all the time, just to see their reactions.

I actually convinced a boy in high school that I was STILL a man, just in transition. No, we never made out. Right before graduation I told him I was just pulling his leg... I wonder if he went on to make "The Crying Game?"

Your friend gets my hat tip of the day!!!!

LOL,
B.

odawa

Post by odawa » Wed May 16, 2007 2:24 pm

Yep You gotta love the originality!!!

stanta

Post by stanta » Fri May 25, 2007 11:25 am

My first overnighter after the divorce i expalined about the CPAP and said "If I don't sleep, NOBODY sleeps" and then explained how there is zero snoring when i use my machine.

always a hosehead, almost a hoser.

odawa

Post by odawa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:18 am

Wow did I get lucky. The guy that I just started dating, he is such a sweetie. He was on the cpap before he lost weight, he doesnt use it now though. He brought it up to me and I told him I had sleep apnea and a cpap machine. He totally understands. That will make the 1st time SOOO much easier. wow.

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:57 am

See? This is why I only date men who are fatter than me.

Plus it makes me feel less self-conscious about my weight...

(This is strictly tongue in cheek - my last couple of boyfriends have been very slim)

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

odawa

Post by odawa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:04 pm

he's skinnier than I am, I'm a chunky monkey. I'm working on losing it though. down about 10 lbs, trying to exercise, it should be easier now that I'm not so tired all of the time.

gasp

Married - was nervous

Post by gasp » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Thank you for posting. Not only reading your outreach to this community, but reading the responses once again highlights for me how much I am blessed to be a part of this forum.

I don't want to take away from your concerns, or that we're in the same boat. However, I do believe we're in the same ocean.

I'm married and not only felt resistance to wearing a mask, but also worried about what it would do to my love life. My husband is fabulous, but I still understood, nights of falling asleep in our special way would be over. I voiced my concern to him and he made jokes about sleeping with Darth Vader. He is a sweet man and has a fabulous sense of humor - but I was still uncertain if I thought his humor was funny. Then, a wonderful member of this community used Darth and helped me so much. I now think it's not only funny, but I'm proud to be Darth-like.

Looking back on it, my husband passed his 'test' with flying colors. I would have been shocked if after all these years I would have found him making negative remarks about how I'm no longer desirable with a CPAP. Rather, he stayed true to character and the loving man I know, using humor in an effort to make me feel better.

I hope for you the relationship you seek.

PS Maybe he snores and is really worried about what you'll think : 0

stanta

Post by stanta » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:54 pm

I wonder if we need a sticky for those of us who are single and on CPAP? It is so nice to see the compassion, the humor and the faces of our community. I know I haven't been around much lately but i hope to participate more often now I am back.

always a hosehead, almost a hoser.