ready for saturday night!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

Post by Babette » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:59 pm

LOL!!! No, because it will just become a trolling pit for middle aged fat chicks preying on pretty little boys. Okay, *I* resemble that remark. YOU may not.

I REALLY wish the libido would stay down... Anyone got a pill for that????

LOL,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

stanta

Post by stanta » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:10 pm

Babette wrote:LOL!!! No, because it will just become a trolling pit for middle aged fat chicks preying on pretty little boys. Okay, *I* resemble that remark. YOU may not.

I REALLY wish the libido would stay down... Anyone got a pill for that????

LOL,
Barbara
Shoot foiled again
always a hosehead, almost a hoser.

DeltaSeeker

Post by DeltaSeeker » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:25 pm

Adding my 2 cents. I thought about it for a couple minutes when I first got my machine (the romantic issues). But being divorced for less than a year now it's currently a non-issue for me. I was so happy to get my machine and heck, if I ever DO feel inclined to be romantic with anyone again, I have the same attitude as Brackstone - if someone doesn't want to go out with me because of CPAP then they're the moron!

If they can't accept me for what/who I am then move on...

Babette, you just totally crack me up! I'm 48 BTW. "trolling pit" Oh yeah, I think I'll try that "I'm really a man" think on my next prospect LOL - probably wouldn't be too hard to believe LOL. Or maybe I'll just say I'm an asexual lesbian and they'll leave me alone

Can you tell, I've got a baaaad attitude.

APAP since 4/12/07 still looking for the "perfect" mask. 1st ZERO AHI nite 6/7/07! 2nd 6/11
Using loaner Hybrid next 2 weeks. Fingers x'd
See http://www.urastarbooks.net for stats

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:42 pm

I just tell people I had that surgically removed.

Actually, people who meet me live are never attracted to me, so it's not a REAL problem. And the ones that flirt with me online back off when I tell them I'm 42, fat, and MEAN!

Or I just talk about my ex in the present tense. We are still friends. He IS still in my life...

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

robbieh

I have my own solution...

Post by robbieh » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:37 pm

I call myself a "no-mo-sexual" *sigh*

Sleepdeprived

Re: ready for saturday night!

Post by Sleepdeprived » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:25 am

[quote="new2"]OK , so I got my new little pillow mask. It's a Swift II.
My NAOI is getting old and darker and just doesn't look new anymore so I took what my DME recommended (had is stock), since I would have to wait a week for my NAOI (remember , this is for date night). I tried it out last night. I may have snored, I don't know. Mouth was a little dry this morning.
My new Swift II seems quiet enough so I plan on keeping it this way by not ever taking it apart to clean.I think that's the secret.
I hope he likes me in it. It looks like a snorkel on me.
I have to break him in to the whole CPAP thing.
I can't decide.
I have my NAOI, but the tubing has turned a little grey from the dishwasher. So my choices for tonight are :
A) Snorkel
BA) fat cannula (with the chance he may think I need to clean it because of some discolouration) but kind of cute on.
Remember, this is for esthetics only, to see of he's a keeper.
If he passes the test, we'll move on to the big guns, my wonderful Hybrid with homemade pad a cheek. I just don't want to scare him off on the first sleep-over.
I found it's best not to tell them, just pull out the little cannula, usually no headgear, and then after plopping comfortably down on my pillow,let the questions fly and answer like it's nothing special.
I'm actually crying as I'm typing this.I feel like such a looser.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:40 am

SleepDeprived, you're definitely a keeper! Great post!
B.

DeltaSeeker

Re: I have my own solution...

Post by DeltaSeeker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:10 am

robbieh wrote:I call myself a "no-mo-sexual" *sigh*
Robbie, I can relate to that! Actually, I think I qualify for Virgin status again It's been over 8 years!!!!!

Babette, yeah, there's a pill for excess libido - it's called anti-depressants! Now if only they could come up with one for lack of libido although I don't know if I need to jump on that bandwagon either. Like you I was pretty darn stupid in my younger years and took many risks. Thank God the only STD I could get then was curable with a round of antibiotics!!!

Oh yea, and BTW, Babette - there's NO WAY I would EVER consider your mean!!!!! You are a true sweetheart!

Hugs,

Linda

APAP since 4/12/07 still looking for the "perfect" mask. 1st ZERO AHI nite 6/7/07! 2nd 6/11

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:11 am

Commentary: Something smells bad about dating
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/pbc ... OSHopinion

----------------------------------------------------------
Posted June 6, 2007

By Wendy Suzuki

It's hard to date when your house reeks of dog farts.

I rarely invite dates over because my place is trashed and I don't feel like cleaning it. It's hard enough to try and make myself look presentable without worrying about the house.

I'm forever ignoring those innocent suggestions to get together and "watch a movie", because my house is so dusty that a good friend nearly went into anaphylactic shock halfway through "The Mermaid's Chair". Besides dates arrive with videos I don't want to see and just when I'm getting into the story, they start wrestling with me on the couch. Some guys talk continuously and I really can't tell them to "shut up" so I grit my teeth and hold my tongue. Also, why do men always take immediate control of the remote? Alone, I can control the clicker and eat an entire container of Cherry Garcia without fear of looking like a porker

Furthermore, if I did invite someone over I'd feel obligated to make him dinner. That requires planning and Martha Stewart I am not, anyway I gave up cooking after my last divorce. Plus, my dogs like to beg at the table and dates always slip them food which causes Yoshi to vomit on my white couch. I'd rather go out to dinner and let someone else hassle with the details. Problem is if we go out, there's the question of who pays. More awkward moments as we tussle over the check at dinner and negotiate the movie tickets and popcorn fees. I always pay at least half as I'm not one to be indebted to my dates and probably have more money than they do anyway.

Even though we've gone out, I'm still back to square one because when he drops me off he's going to expect that I invite him in. It's late and I'm really tired because I've had to clean my house before he picked me up, and I've overeaten and dozed through a movie I didn't really want to see. But I'm polite so I ask him into my front room which appears clean. All other doors are closed to hide everything I've thrown there while hastily cleaning before he picked me up.

Perhaps tonight, he's going to wrestle me towards my closed bedroom door...so there it is, the moment of truth. After months of dating we've reached a crossroads and decisions have to be made about sleeping together. Impossible; as mothers are not allowed to possess even a trace of sexuality and my two boys are constantly monitoring for any sign that mom might be getting out of hand. (BTW, my 23 year-old just moved back home after being gone for five years; my life is over.) Plus I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and I sleep wearing a mask with a long hose that attaches to a CPAP machine. The headgear resembles a fighter pilot from Top Gun and my breathing sounds like a cross between Darth Vader and Tony Soprano.

Besides, my bed is covered with all the clothes I tried on and rejected pre-date, and the floor is strewn with pantyhose and other lingerie items that may or may not be laundered. Plus there are always several pairs of shoes and a few purses on the floor and books, magazines and cosmetics covering every other surface. Also, my dogs sleep with me and Mika's farts can clear a room. Not my problem as I get fresh air through my mask. Anyway, didn't we agree this was a platonic thing? Unless perhaps, love is blind, and toting his own portable CPAP .

Northwestern community columnist Wendy Laird Suzuki is a pharmaceutical representative who lives in Oshkosh with her 15-year-old son Ian, two dogs and a parrot.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:14 am

DeltaSeeker wrote:Oh yea, and BTW, Babette - there's NO WAY I would EVER consider your mean!!!!! You are a true sweetheart!
Only online. In person, I'm a royal PITA. I can send you references from my NUMEROUS ex-boyfriends, coworkers, family members, and neighbors.

I'm sorta like Gladys Cravitz in person. Irritating voice, irritating mannerisms, bad dresser, 1950's bubble hair-do...

LOL,
B.

DeltaSeeker

Post by DeltaSeeker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:52 am

Babette wrote:
DeltaSeeker wrote:Oh yea, and BTW, Babette - there's NO WAY I would EVER consider your mean!!!!! You are a true sweetheart!
Only online. In person, I'm a royal PITA. I can send you references from my NUMEROUS ex-boyfriends, coworkers, family members, and neighbors.

I'm sorta like Gladys Cravitz in person. Irritating voice, irritating mannerisms, bad dresser, 1950's bubble hair-do...

LOL,
B.
I'm sure there are many references who would say the same for me

Actually Gladys was one of my favorite characters. About the only characteristic you could say I don't have is the '50s bubble hair-do, but then in my "trying to look younger" phase a couple year ago I got 4 tattoos, 6 piercings (from the neck up only - 4 ear, my nose and eyebrow) and dyed my hair black (wanted that Goth look) and cropped it in an almost buzz cut. The black didn't work out though since my hair is so thin you could see my scalp through it - hence it's now as white a blonde as I can get it!

Sort of reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy routine - "If your thighs stop moving 5 minutes after you do, say NO to spandex! If you can't see your shoes from a standing position, belly shirts aren't for you!" etc.

I love the haircut - talk about wash and go!!! Sometimes throw a little spiking stuff in it. But I've let the eyebrow piercing go. Something about it pulling down my eyebrow convinced me that I didn't need to give gravity any help - it was already doing enough to me as it was (I KNOW I put those boobs SOMEWHERE...).

The nose piercing went after my emergency appendectomy. It took the security guard and I half an hour between us to get my piercings out and I never COULD get the nose one back in after a couple days in the hospital. They close up QUICKLY! That's OK. Talk about being a PITA.

Besides, all those things are appearances only. Like what started this thread - if someone judges based on our appearance then to **** with them! Move on so I can get to the REAL PEOPLE!!!

Anyway, here's a pic of me from the back:

Hugs,

Linda

odawa

Post by odawa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:57 am

That is so true, but unfortunely, it is a part of life. I can open up to someone and I have to wait to see if they realize I'm really a good apple.

Apples and Wine
Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the
tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they
are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes
take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy.
The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in
reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man
to come along, the one who is brave enough to climb all the way to
the top of the tree. Share this with women who are good apples,
even those who have already been picked!
Now About Men....
Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and
it's up to women to stomp the shit out of them until they turn into
something acceptable to have dinner with.

zzzzzz!!

Post by zzzzzz!! » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:31 pm

Another 40-something single woman (okay, 43 and divorced) chiming in here... it's nice not to feel alone!

I think it's easier when you're in a serious relationship because, ideally, being supportive comes with the territory and your commitment includes dealing with these kinds of issues.

If you're dating or just casually seeing someone, you don't necessarily expect that same kind of support or acceptance.

What I'm finding tough, other than the self-consciousness of not wanting a partner to see me in my mask or disturb them with the noise (even though it's much better than the snoring and apneas!), is the lack of spontaneity. You can't just doze off in somebody's arms anymore. You can't decide on the spur of the moment to stay over at their place, because your machine is back at your own home.

I recently had my first experience spending the night with someone since I've been on CPAP. I stayed at his place, so of course I had to pack up the machine and the mask and take it there with me, and then prior to sleeping had to set it up. He wanted to see me with my mask on -- out of curiosity, I think. Being a side sleeper, I slept facing away from him. Normally I turn from side to side a few times during the night, but I was too self-conscious of the noise and having air blow in his face, so I stayed on that one side all night (and paid for it in the morning, ow!).

This is by far the most difficult adjustment I've had to make since starting CPAP.

My ex started using CPAP while we were married, and I admit that at first I wasn't thrilled that we couldn't just cuddle and fall asleep anymore, but after a while I got used to it. I was just trying to imagine how I would react if one of my current dates used a CPAP, and I really don't think it would disturb me at all, but then again, I'm used to it now. I'm not sure how non-CPAP users will react. Time will tell...

Sorry to be so long! This has really been a tough issue for me and it's nice to have a place to discuss it with other people who might be able to relate.

jabberwock

Post by jabberwock » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:40 pm

And from another JUST past 40s single woman... I'm far more concerned that this is a situation I will NEVER have to face

Bottom line is that I am with the rest of you; if any man freaks out over the fact that I need to use cpap in order to maintain my health, he isn't worth having around anyway!

Bonnie

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:52 pm

Oh allright then... Someone post a topic of "Single Pap-Chicks Looking for Love" and go ahead and post pix of you in sexy lingerie and your mask, and report back on your successes.

Me, I'm so much MORE concerned that I will NEVER meet a man at this stage of my life that will share my political views, that I'm reconciled to single-hood.

I can get laid, get out of there, and get home before bed and not deal with CPAP "sharing" at all. (I quit bringing men home years ago - see earlier post about dirty house, dog farts, etc.) I'm a trained professional. I survived the 1980's. If I have NEEDS that are THAT great, I know the local bars and where to find desperate men. Shoot, if I have needs that are that great, I'll probably go online and order a new toy first...

I'd far rather do that, than financially support a relationship with someone who offends my politicial/spiritual views. Been there, done that, have a DRAWERFUL OF T-SHIRTS I'd rather not wear anymore...

Sorry - relationship talk makes me cranky.
B.

PS - Rented "The Breakup" last night. Not in the LEAST BIT FUNNY to me. I gave up about 1/4 way through.

See? I'm better off single. And so is the rest of the world.