Why is my Nose bleeding?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
G00fy217

Why is my Nose bleeding?

Post by G00fy217 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:42 am

Ok, I once posted about using too many tissues (kleenex), etc.... however, now I find that my nose is bleeding more often as well. Why is that?

Every time I blow my nose, it seems to bleed in the upper corner on the inside part of my nose closer to the middle. And it's only 1 sided!! Why wouldn't both sides bleed? Why bleed at all? Does anyone have any ideas?
Laughter never killed anyone..... Go ahead, laugh! It's good for you!! ;-)

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:10 am

It is possible that you have less tissue (flesh) on that side. My ENT prescribed a cream to use to plump up the tissue a bit. Might want to check with an ENT.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:15 am

G00fy,

It bleeds where the tissue is the thinnest and the blood vessels are closest to the skin. The pressurized air from the cpap can really have a drying affect on your breathing passages. If you have trouble with nose bleeds while using cpap, use a water based nasal gel like AYR during the night (especially if you are using nasal pillows) and then a petroleum based triple antibiotic in the morning to help it heal during the day.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

2listless

Nose Bleeds

Post by 2listless » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:46 am

Take yourself to an ENT and take along any interfaces that you are using. I had one that caused nasal hemmorhaging. The ENT told me what to avoid and what to do. I have been problem free for a year taking his advice. He told me that people with allergies who are using several courses of nasal sprays to correct the problem thin out the membrane. If you are using nasal prongs or any type of nasal pillows, the pressure into the nares can cause nasal bleeding. I ended up with 300 feet of gauze shoved up my nose and had to stay off CPAP for 3 months. I now use only nasal masks and a lot of saline nasal spray several times a day! Good luck! By the way, it was only on the left side!! It happened in a restaurant one day, and they wanted to call an ambulance!! Sigh! Talk about embarassing!
Life is not a dress rehearsal

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:07 pm

Waders, thanks... I am using the AYR Gel every night and it has helped. But, the thing is in the morning whenever I go to blow my nose (cause for some darn reason it always feels like it's running), I also get blood. Then it dries up and I wind up picking on it and it'll bleed again! Would you believe someone even had the gall to ask me if I do coke!! I was so pissed, I thought that was quite rude of them!! So, I had to tell them of course not.... I have sleep apnea and am on cpap! Well, then all of a sudden I became a contagious person or something.... they took off the other way.... Go figure, when they thought I was on drugs, they wanted to talk about it... but when I tell them it's a side affect to my being on cpap they don't want to hear about it and take off!! Some people!!

Oh well.... but now I think I need to use neosporin in the morning after I blow my nose... I just hope that helps!

Listless, is the nasal mask claustrophobic? I am very claustrophobic and if it is, I wouldn't be able to use it.

Well... thanks all... I really appreciate all and any help on this matter!!

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:21 pm

G00fy,

Maybe that person was looking for a drug connection! Luckily we don't have to get our cpap equipment in a back alley.

One of my twins has nose bleed problems. It is always a battle to keep on top of it. I would give it a little while of the AYR/Neosporin treatment and if it doesn't get better talk to your Doc about it. I think they can fix a more serious nose bleed problem, but I think that involves cauterisingsome of the blood vessals in your nose.

P.S. My kids keep asking when we are going to stay at that "FUN" hotel in Chicago again.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:21 pm

[quote wading thru the muck!] P.S. My kids keep asking when we are going to stay at that "FUN" hotel in Chicago again.[/quote]

Glad to hear that they had a blast!!! Anytime, just let me know..... I will honor the same rate throughout the year for anyone from this group that needs a place to stay while in the Chicagoland Area!! That rate again is $59.00 Single or Double Occupancy and it includes the Full Hot Breakfast Buffet each morning and the Manager's Reception (Monday - Thursday, 5pm - 7pm).

I look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!

By the way... Waders, look ^ I can't figure it out again......

ldemmery

Post by ldemmery » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:48 pm

I have been a nose bleeder since I was a tiny baby. I have veins in my nose too close to the surface of the skin inside my nose.

My first nose bleed when I was a baby, my mum tells me is she walked into my room up the side of my crib and found me litterally covered in blood from head to toe. Now, can you imagine finding your baby like that? Quite the horror. Anyways, she cleaned me up and discovered it was my nose.

Over the years we've tried many things, just short of cauterizing it. (It's hereditary in my family, my grandfather had the same problem as well as a couple of my cousins have it too). Cauterizing isn't a cure, it will come back, I hear. The cheapest most effective method I've found is using vaseline. I know, its disgusting, the smell and the feel of it. But hey, it works. A little on your pinky to coat the dry area. Now, I've tried the more modern sprays and gels and always end up at the vaseline. They just don't work or you have to use it constantly. Vaseline lasts. I keep a tub at work as well as by my bedside. I now very rarely have a nosebleed.

You could also try boosting the humidifier on your machine, I had to when I forst started and now I don't have any bloody noses in the morning.

Lynne (in Ottawa)

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:19 pm

You are using your heated humidifier aren't you. Thats the best thing you can do . Are you using any nose sprays like Afrin , Nasonex, Flonase, 4 Way ? These often cause nosebleeds.

Cheers,

Chris

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:20 pm

Idem, I too was a big time nose bleeder as a child. If I just bumped my nose it would bleed. But this nose bleeding is different from when I was little. It isn't bleeding from the back of my nose but rather the front of it but still inside.... kinda hard to describe exactly, but it is definitely a different kind of bleeding.

Chris, yes I am using my heated humidifier and no, I am not using any nasal sprays. It's like a scab that won't go away.

But, from what I gather, I am not the only one that seems to be having this problem.... there's gotta be a way we can be comfortable with being hooked up at night!!

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:18 pm

When bleeding is very heavy or recurs often or does not respond well to your own attention, it is necessary to seek medical help. The doctor may have to cauterize the bleeding site with a chemical solution. Don't be surprised if he also prescribes the hormone cream Premarin®. Yes, it is the female hormone that is used for the dryness of menopausal vaginitis. It is the best thing going for dryness of the mucous membranes wherever they are.
Link

gailzee

Re: Why is my Nose bleeding?

Post by gailzee » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:56 pm

I had to raise my htd humidifier, up not quite a half #, ad now no bloody noses. Maybe just raising the level of humidification.

Good question, is there a way to have the humidification, but NOT the heat on the PB H20, can't stand the heated feeling? Does this PB H2O just have heat and no passover? I can't find where I can eliminate the heat. Even on #2, it's warm. Ugh.
G00fy217 wrote:
Ok, I once posted about using too many tissues (kleenex), etc.... however, now I find that my nose is bleeding more often as well. Why is that?

Every time I blow my nose, it seems to bleed in the upper corner on the inside part of my nose closer to the middle. And it's only 1 sided!! Why wouldn't both sides bleed? Why bleed at all? Does anyone have any ideas?

LDuyer

Re: Why is my Nose bleeding?

Post by LDuyer » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:18 pm

gailzee wrote:I had to raise my htd humidifier, up not quite a half #, ad now no bloody noses. Maybe just raising the level of humidification.

Good question, is there a way to have the humidification, but NOT the heat on the PB H20, can't stand the heated feeling? Does this PB H2O just have heat and no passover? I can't find where I can eliminate the heat. Even on #2, it's warm. Ugh.

Don't know about your heated humidifier, but mine has an on/off button and a different button to raise the level of humidification. Even on the off mode, the air still passes over. That might be fine enough for you. I like to think of it when I used to have a regular house-humidifier, which was cool or room-temp as opposed to a vaporizer which is heated. Not heated, the passover might still provide some humidification, even off position. But I'm not positive. And it might not provide enough humidification.

Linda