pure soap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GoofyUT

Dr. Bronner's soap

Post by GoofyUT » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:27 pm

Dr. Bronner's PURE CASTILE SOAP is as pure and as safe as you'll get, and its plentiful, available at most larger supermarkets and places life Whole Foods/Wild Oats and relatively cheap. It is a pure castile soap, which means that its made with vegetable oils that are saponified, rather than animal fats. It comes in many scents, all of which are safe for use in cleaning masks since the scents come from vegetable or plant oils, not artificial scents or ingredients. And, they make an unscented version too for those that are sensitive to aromas.

I've been using it to wash my Mirage Swift weekly for the past year, and I'm on the original components that look and work as good as new.

I will say that mask components are MUCH more robust than the manufacturers would have you believe, but if you want to be cautious, Dr. Bronner's is as safe as you can get.

Plus, the label is a HOOT to read!!!

Cheers!

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

Snoredog

Re: Soap

Post by Snoredog » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:37 pm

loddp wrote:I use a spray purchased from my DME. Last time I was there they have added wipes in a can.
That reminds me when I worked at a grocery store going through High School, we would get a newbie gal checker start up at the only check stand with the PA access phone and call her up on the other telephone line, she'd answer, we'd ask do you have Prince Albert in the can? She'd get on the Public Announcement system "Frank do we have Prince Albert in the can?" he'd laugh and say yes we do.... She'd pass it on, we'd say well you better let him out!

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

cwsanfor

Post by cwsanfor » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:42 pm

I use Neutrogena liquid in the pump bottle. Costco has it for about $5, and one bottle has lasted me a year.

Dr. Bronner's brings back fond memories of my hippie days, but I don't see it around. The label is indeed worth the price of admission.

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:11 pm

I use Dr. Bronner's unscented from the health food store. I got one of those foaming pumps with liquid soap and when it was done washed it out and filled it with Dr. Bronner's diluted with water. It's great for washing hands in the bathroom and I've been using it for my mask for the past 3 days.

I find using Dr. Bronner's right from the bottle to be a challenge because it kind of clumps up and clogs the spout. This way it's plenty soapy and should last for a really long time.

NimbleLooper

Re: pure soap

Post by NimbleLooper » Tue May 01, 2007 9:20 am

[quote="jpu1969"]Where do you buy the pure soap that these nasal mask manufactures recommend using to clean the mask?

I have been all over town and no one sells it?

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue May 01, 2007 10:09 am

I was told to wash everything every morning, and take it into the shower with me. Hoses, mask, and humidfier tank. I use dishwashing liquid - Kirkland brand antibacterial. I put it into a small squeeze bottle in the shower.

The reason I wash my gear daily is because I have sensitive skin and acne - putting plastic on my face just exacerbates and already bad condition. Cleaning it daily makes sense. Plus cleaning the hose daily makes sense to me, since I live in a damp climate and mildew can grow in the tube if left damp all day. I wash it, then hang it on a towel bar that is located over a baseboard heater. Works very well to dry.

The scents and moisturizers may or may not break down the silicones and plastics, but they may very well irritate your skin. And they can't help the seal any. You want a de-greasing agent to get your skin oils off the mask, to improve the seal.

Hope this helps,
B.

jjposey

Post by jjposey » Tue May 01, 2007 12:34 pm

My DME told me I "could" rinse my mask once every two weeks "or so..." with a water/vinegar mixture if I wanted to.
When I asked about cleaning the hose and humidifier, he said I could wash the humidifier tank with any dishwashing soap and that I should NEVER need to clean the hose.
He also told me his wife uses CPAP.
Wonder what she does...

Saltydog

Post by Saltydog » Wed May 02, 2007 8:08 am

I use a very dilute solution of Dr. Bronner's soap every morning on my hybrid. It seals much better when cleaned daily. 2 pumps on the soap dispenser is all it takes. Also smells refreshing with slight minty smell.

I have been using the soap for just over a year.

Post by Guest » Wed May 02, 2007 9:13 am

The manufacturer of my interface recommends liquid Ivory Dish Soap. So I use it for the hose and interface daily. Seems to do a good job without making them icky.
karyl (dustbunny)

jules

Post by jules » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:09 pm

bump

whatrdreamsmadeof

Post by whatrdreamsmadeof » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:56 pm

I use and love PEARS and it is cheap!
Give it a try.
Good Luck

racefan

Post by racefan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:36 pm

I use dish soap or liquid hand soap.We never use anti bacterial soap of any kind in our house due to being on a septic tank.(anti bacterial kills the good bacteria needed for the septic system to work properly)
Why do black tires make white smoke?

Andy99

Re:

Post by Andy99 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 pm

jjposey wrote:My DME told me I "could" rinse my mask once every two weeks "or so..." with a water/vinegar mixture if I wanted to.
When I asked about cleaning the hose and humidifier, he said I could wash the humidifier tank with any dishwashing soap and that I should NEVER need to clean the hose.
He also told me his wife uses CPAP. Wonder what she does...

Was anyone else told not to wash your hose? I have been washing mine once a week when I clean the mask...

2girlsmom

Post by 2girlsmom » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 pm

I use ivory or Dawn dishsoap and throw in some vinegar too here and there. I have Dr Bronners though, and love the smell, so I'll use that/ Good to know it works ok.

klshipower

Post by klshipower » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 am

You can't use dish soap, it dissolves the material the cushion is made of.