Most Important CPAP Feature/Attribute

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What is the Most Important CPAP Feature/Attribute

Quietness
16%
Ease of Travel (Size and Weight)
1%
Ease of Use (User Display)
6%
Quality of Supporting Software
6%
Breathability
55%
None Of These - See My Comment
16%

Total votes: 77

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:11 pm

But I'm spoiled. I want a battery-operated, rechargeable, APAP for travel, not a plain ole CPAP, and unless the other manufacturers take Aeiomeds lead and come out with similar products asap, it will be a long wait for the same thing in APAP

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:20 pm

Janelle proves my point!

If you can make a machine that's all things to all people you'll have a winner!

Janelle, we're all spoiled, aren't we?
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

eblack

Post by eblack » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:36 am

As other posts before me have said, all of the items on the list are important to someone. That being said, I am fortunate that I am satisfied with all of those issues but one. I am very disappointed with the AutoScan software for my Resmed AutoSet Spirit. I find it unacceptable that software that I purchase for significant dollars is totally unsupported. I think it is unconscionable that the developers and marketers hide behind their "clinician only" support policy.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:53 am

While I agree that all of these are important, none of them really are any good if one can't find a mask that is comfortable and that does not leak and keep one up all night long. I think we still have a long way to go in this dept. I wish the manufacturers would listen to us ACTIVA FULL FACE PEOPLE!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:06 pm

Amen, rockandroll!! You're absolutely right. It's all about the mask, really.

Almost any machine can do fine for most people. It's the masks that are the stumbling blocks. I'd just about bet that most dropouts from this treatment are dropping out because of mask issues.

Just look at how those of us who have found our way to message boards and who have educated ourselves about masks - and have bought mask after mask after mask - still look for that perfect one. I cannot imagine how the vast majority of non-messageboard people who are prescribed cpap cope. For the most part, they have no idea there are any mask options other than what the DME straps on them. Well, a great many of them don't cope. They drop out. And the mask is probably the reason.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:17 pm

rested gal wrote:Amen, rockandroll!! You're absolutely right. It's all about the mask, really.

Almost any machine can do fine for most people. It's the masks that are the stumbling blocks. I'd just about bet that most dropouts from this treatment are dropping out because of mask issues.

Just look at how those of us who have found our way to message boards and who have educated ourselves about masks - and have bought mask after mask after mask - still look for that perfect one. I cannot imagine how the vast majority of non-messageboard people who are prescribed cpap cope. For the most part, they have no idea there are any mask options other than what the DME straps on them. Well, a great many of them don't cope. They drop out. And the mask is probably the reason.
When we make that special video/dvd that makes our forum all famous, there should be a special section just on masks, and rested gal should write the script.

I envision some famous person footing the bill for us to make a dvd that is distributed freely in every doctor's office throughout the country (like drug companies which pelt doctors with freebies), informing anyone with heart problems to toe fungus all about OSA. Wader could discuss the basics of OSA, and about dealing with insurance. Liam could demonstrate the comic way of strapping on a mask, and maybe get Robin Williams to demonstrate the sleep study!! No, too expensive.....maybe Liam could do that one too!

How about THAT for a daydream?!?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:28 pm

While I agree that a good mask is essential, a good auto machine that keeps the pressure low and adjusts only to catch events goes a long way to help the function of a good mask.

Besides, this thread was about the machine and not the mask. If when asked what could be better about the machine, the answer given is it's all about the mask, then we won't get better machines. Leave the mask comments for the mask thread.

As far as the cpaptalk DVD to make us all famous. I have no idea what you are talking about?????
Sincerely,

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:35 pm

Don't get angry, Wader.

It was just a daydream, a silly idea posted to another topic, on ways to get the word out about OSA to anyone with a pulse to learn about it.
That's all, just a silly idea daydream.
My apologies, such as they are.

Just a silly daydream idea, is all.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:00 pm

Wader said:
Besides, this thread was about the machine and not the mask.
Heheh, you're right, but since when have we started worrying about threads staying exactly on topic? You make a good Border Collie, Wader.

Thankfully I did use the word "machine" in my last post... once, anyway.

If masks were better, then maybe the pressures used by machines (autopaps included) wouldn't blow leaks out their sides. It can be done - look at the Activa, and several of the nasal pillows masks - handling high pressures pretty darn well.

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Hey Muck,

This is the second time you have barked at me. Last time I looked, you were not the webmaster or moderator. If you are going to be so anal then maybe another list is in order. I commented on what I thought was the most important thing as I see it. You can have the best machine in the market but without a good mask, it won't fly. And if you have to change the settings for each mask, it's not a good machine anyway. But, if you are going to be an absolute thread nazi, the hell with you!

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:47 pm

R&R,

I did no barking at you! Sorry if you felt I did. I only pointed out the subject of the thread because it a thread posted by the forumadmin for the purpose of collecting our opinions on features of xpap machines. His intent, as I understood it, is to pass these comments along to the manufacturers. I am in favor of threads going in any direction the forum takes them, but in these special cases it serves no purpose for this thread to get derailed on to a discussion about the impotance of a good mask. By the way, I completely agree with you on that statement. Just trying to keep the particular thread on topic. No Nazi tactics here.

RG, Do I need to change my avatar to a picture of a Border Collie? I hope you understand my desire to keep just this one thread on topic. Once again I agree with the importance of the mask but I think if Johnny says to Mr. Respironics, "The one thing my forum thinks is most important when designing a machine is to make your masks better" his comments are going to fall on deaf ears.

Nuff said by me since I am probably just raising more ire.
Sincerely,

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:44 am

Seems "breathability" is getting the biggest response.

To me that seems to attest to the abilities and flexibilities of the machine. I have the bipap, but I keep reading here all the praises of the auto. Seems people really like that the machine adjusts to the breathing patterns, instead of having that pressure as static. I admit to not understanding the auto much and to not following all the posts having to do with it. But for all the discussion about autos, that shows me that to OSA sufferers, the technology to best regulate both successful treatment and comfort is the most important issue to them. We want our condition treated and we want the comfort to ensure compliance. I agree with the issue of masks, but it is one major component of the whole package. Until there's a cure for what ails us, we have to rely on technology for treatment and comfort. If the manufacturers take that to heart (as should insurance companies), then more people would be compliant, and there would be more customers to keep the manufacturers happy.

Linda

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:01 am

Comfort? Why isn't comfortability one of the options?

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:15 am

Breathability is not very descriptive tho. To me breathability is a) Cflex, b) Auto titration.

Without both, the breathability factor suffers.

Of course the only other factor is whether or not it goes with the room decor

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:00 am

I think technology is important re: the most advanced machine available at the time for the patient.

First came the CPAP, eons ago, it was all that was available. Many with high pressures could not comply and were lost to effective treatment.

Then the manufacturers said, "Hey, people are having problems dealing with high pressure and can't exhale against it and are not complying", so they came up with the BiPap. Wow, said the patients, we can exhale. And more complied, but not all. And ramps were added to both.

Then the manufacturers realized people don't need that high titrated pressure all the time and they came out with the APAP. Even more complied, but the doctors didn't understand how they worked so kept on prescribing CPAPs and BiPAPs. Those who were granted APAPs by their doctors who were more progressive were able to comply at higher rates because they were more comfortable with the lower pressures. While those denied APAPs by their doctors were still uncomfortable with the CPAPs and BiPAPs and still many did not comply and were lost along the wayside.

Then Respironics came out with CFlex, allowing even those who were used to BiPAPs even more comfort on exhale and better timing and a choice of the level of exhale pressure. Even more were able to comply at high pressures.

Then Respironics in its infinite wisdom added the CFlex to the APAP, as well. More people liked this, and were able to get the prescription from their doctor or discovered sites like CPAP.com where they could order what they felt was the best technology for their condition. And more complied.

Along came Puritan Bennet and the 420 series, offering small sizes for travel and general use, and offered them in CPAP, BiPAP and APAP. They were deemed good and useful and more people bought them and complied.

And then came Aeiomed offering a integrated rechargeable battery, along with a small CPAP, and integrated humidifier all in the same small footprint (still awaiting FDA Approval) and people are going to buy that for the battery for travel and the small size of the whole unit.

What do we want next: A small unit with APAP with a rechargeable battery and the heated humidifier, possibly with something like CFlex. Who will be the first manufacturer to give us this?

Technology advances and with it compliance of the users and the more who use the more can be treated. This is what it all boils down to. And this is where the manufacturers need to be in direct touch with the doctors who prescribe them, educating them on the advantages of that technology, so they will prescribe them. Because if they are not prescribed then a lot of people are not going to comply or receive proper treatment for their condition.

Next, they need to educate the distributors, the DMEs who pass out these units, who will work with the doctors to make available the best technology for the individual and not just give them the cheapest things that will fill the prescription so they can make a bigger profit.