General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
blowfish

Post by blowfish » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:45 am

Last edited by blowfish on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 am

I have an apap but use it in cpap mode. I switch to apap once in a while to check out how things are going. I don't sleep as well with apap. I sleep great with cpap. I'm glad I have the apap option should I need it, even if I don't use it often.
Don't forget you need time to get used to a new machine!

Brenda

JimInAL

Re: I can admit if I am wrong - not liking the M Auto versus

Post by JimInAL » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:15 am

mth712 wrote: ...I didn't like the different way it breathes. It is more pronounced when you exhale like a flap closes and opens...
That sounds like a C-FLEX thing, not the Auto. Have you tried different C-FLEX settings (including off)?

I'm not a doctor, my highest degree is a Master's.

blowfish

Post by blowfish » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:21 am

Last edited by blowfish on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:08 am

if my pressure was 15cm and I had aerophagia, I wouldn't have bought a autopap, I would have bought a Bipap Auto.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 am

Mike,

You do know that you can set it at straight CPAP and turn the CFlex off right?

As for the humidity, you may need to play with that. Also, room humidity and temperature plays a part with that.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Mike

I spent 3 months on the Pro and have been using the Auto for 3 weeks and while my pressure is nowhere near yours (titrated at 10), I can help with the comparison.

I definitely think you have some options and if you can I would hold on to both machines for now.

I did have the same question - why did I get an Auto? Should I have stuck with the Pro since it was working for me? The bottom line is Auto treatment can be better for us but it takes a little time to get the settings right.

I don't remember how long you've been on CPAP in general. I had aerophagia in the beginning (gracious those were some serious burps ). I think it lasted about 2 weeks, but it did go away. For reasons I won't go into here, I had a 2 week break in CPAP treatment and when I went back to it, I had the areophagia again. It also went away. So, depending on how long you've been on CPAP in general, the aerophagia may just go away.

I did use C-Flex on the Pro (set to 3, which is the highest) and I had C-Flex turned on on the Auto. At the time, I did feel like I needed it. Since I've been on CPAP for almost 4 months, I've noticed I really don't need the exhale pressure reduction anymore. Plus, I recently started noticing the machine changing pressures on the exhale - sort of like a downshift and it was annoying, so I turned C-Flex off completely.

Last night I did spend some time, albeit not much, at a pressure of 12. I didn't wake up, so I assume I didn't have any trouble exhaling at what for me is a higher pressure.

If all else fails you can set the Auto to straight CPAP. You can also set the Auto to a split night, which it starts you at straight CPAP and then switches you to Auto. You can have it set for 120min, 180min, or 240min of straight CPAP before it switches to Auto.

You definitely have options.

The first thing you should do is post your Daily Details EncorePro reports here so we can see them. We can help with the pressure settings.

SleepySandy

Post by SleepySandy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:06 am

The above post was me. I forgot to log in.

Wulfman

Re: I can admit if I am wrong - not liking the M Auto versus

Post by Wulfman » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 am

mth712 wrote:Hello all,
As some of you know I just had to run out and buy the AUTO even though I had a new Pro. I was doing good on the pro with an AHI from .9 to 2.9 but I lowered my pressure from 15 to 12.5 to get rid of air in stomache.
I thought the auto would be even better. So I got a new Auto with humidifier and set it to 10-15.5 since my titration was 15. I used it the first night for 5.5 hours but I didn't like the different way it breathes. It is more pronounced when you exhale like a flap closes and opens. I awakened a lot. My leak rate was <40 and 90% was 12.5 and ahi was 4.7 . The next night I set it at 11.5-15.0 and slept 6 hours with a leak rate <40 and 90% was 13.5 and ahi was 4.6. Last night I set it for 10 - 18 just to see what happens and I only slept 3 hours before throwing mask on the floor in my sleep. I haven't read the numbers yet.
I am starting to think the Docs that don't believe in APAPs for the patient may be right. I am thinking I don't sleep as well with it.
Should I sell it and just stick with the pro and getting the software.(I know someone told me this already before I bought the auto so no need to rub it in). The auto has more of a bipap sound. Also does everyones M-series auto say bipap on the bottom. It is a 500S.
I am thinking about selling the Auto for $500 with the humidifier and under 30 hrs.
Remember what I said?.....
Wulfman wrote:No offense......BUT......I think you're being plumb ridiculous.....wanting to trade/sell off a perfectly good (data recording) machine before you even get under way with your therapy.

Get your therapy started and save your coins and THEN in about 6 months to a year if you're having problems or need a backup machine.....buy an Auto.

And NO, I don't work for CPAP.COM or any of its affiliates, either.

Den
Like others have suggested.....just change it to single pressure (CPAP) mode and it should act just like the Pro.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:06 am

Snoredog wrote:if my pressure was 15cm and I had aerophagia, I wouldn't have bought a autopap, I would have bought a Bipap Auto.
Good point, and maybe after rereading all these posts, a small bottle of Chill Pills. You can't jump around and expect good results. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:09 am

Ha - Yes Den I remember that is why I brougt it up, so you wouldn't embarass me . I have been diagnosed for 18 years or since I was 22. At first mild to moderate and solved by sleeping on my side for the most part. Then at a new job in 99 I just couldn't keep up with mo coworkers 3 times my age and went for another study I was diagnosed severe with 46 AHI and had a real bad experience with Apria and got so mad I told my wife I didn't need the darn machine and only used it a few weeks at 10 with bad mask leaks and quit.

Now I have been treated for depression the whole time. I recently started treatment for blood pressure when my doc noted it was at 175 over 104. I am at a new job and while out of town for training I was sleeping really really bad and at dinner one night my head started spinning heart racing sweating and I couldn't get it to stop and went to the ER. After 4 hours and a bag of fluid everything came back to normal and I made it through the next 2 weeks in training thanks to some klonipin I was prescribed for anxiety and hadn't used regularly. My heart, chest xray all were normal. I got home and went to see my Doc who I had only been seeing for a year and told him what happenned and that I knew I had apnea and wasn't treating it. He said that could be the whole cause of all my problems all these years and was mad I hadn't told him.

He set me up for a new sleep study and to see a neuroligist. I had 3 mri all normal and an eng which was normal. I had the sleep study and am now at 106 AHI 78% desat, zero PLM and during titration for a whole 108 minutes I only had 1 Hypoapnea on my back at pressure of 12.5 and it was raised to 15 to end residual snoring.

The day I went to the doc I also went to my shrink and he said it sounded like a classic panic attack and upped my lexapro to 40mg and and klonipin to .5 morn and eve. .

I have had some sweats and panicky feeling but since going back on cpap for real this time I feel much better when it works and never want to stop the use of it. I wasted so much of my life to date as my Wife says all I do is work and sleep and it is true. No antidepressant could give me energy or make me want to do things with my Kids and Wife. I am already getting more involved and I was habitually late at my old job and am not at my new job. Managed 9 tired years at my old job before getting this better job because I am good at what I do. Had a lot of interpersonal relation problems with my coworkers walking all over me because I was always too tired to fight for myself and my self confidence was so low. All of that is getting better in only a few weeks.

I do not have encore software. Now you know "the rest of the story".

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:31 am

mth712 wrote:I do not have encore software.
You might want to get it......before it disappears from the marketplace.

Actually, I didn't say "I told you so."

I couldn't find if you said what your C-Flex setting was. If it's set for 3, that might explain the sound variation. Also, a higher pressure will make more noise. You might try a C-Flex setting of 2. Also, either go back to single pressure or narrow your range down to 3 or 4 cm variance.

Keep the machine! You just need to get it properly tweaked.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:31 am

[quote="Anonymous"]Ha - Yes Den I remember that is why I brougt it up, so you wouldn't embarass me . I have been diagnosed for 18 years or since I was 22. At first mild to moderate and solved by sleeping on my side for the most part. Then at a new job in 99 I just couldn't keep up with mo coworkers 3 times my age and went for another study I was diagnosed severe with 46 AHI and had a real bad experience with Apria and got so mad I told my wife I didn't need the darn machine and only used it a few weeks at 10 with bad mask leaks and quit.

Now I have been treated for depression the whole time. I recently started treatment for blood pressure when my doc noted it was at 175 over 104. I am at a new job and while out of town for training I was sleeping really really bad and at dinner one night my head started spinning heart racing sweating and I couldn't get it to stop and went to the ER. After 4 hours and a bag of fluid everything came back to normal and I made it through the next 2 weeks in training thanks to some klonipin I was prescribed for anxiety and hadn't used regularly. My heart, chest xray all were normal. I got home and went to see my Doc who I had only been seeing for a year and told him what happenned and that I knew I had apnea and wasn't treating it. He said that could be the whole cause of all my problems all these years and was mad I hadn't told him.

He set me up for a new sleep study and to see a neuroligist. I had 3 mri all normal and an eng which was normal. I had the sleep study and am now at 106 AHI 78% desat, zero PLM and during titration for a whole 108 minutes I only had 1 Hypoapnea on my back at pressure of 12.5 and it was raised to 15 to end residual snoring.

The day I went to the doc I also went to my shrink and he said it sounded like a classic panic attack and upped my lexapro to 40mg and and klonipin to .5 morn and eve. .

I have had some sweats and panicky feeling but since going back on cpap for real this time I feel much better when it works and never want to stop the use of it. I wasted so much of my life to date as my Wife says all I do is work and sleep and it is true. No antidepressant could give me energy or make me want to do things with my Kids and Wife. I am already getting more involved and I was habitually late at my old job and am not at my new job. Managed 9 tired years at my old job before getting this better job because I am good at what I do. Had a lot of interpersonal relation problems with my coworkers walking all over me because I was always too tired to fight for myself and my self confidence was so low. All of that is getting better in only a few weeks.

I do not have encore software. Now you know "the rest of the story".

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Hosed All Night

Post by Hosed All Night » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 am

I had the same problem when I switched to a auto bipap from a Pro 2 bipap. After a year on bipap my AHI's averaged consistant 1.5 to 2. On the auto bipap my AHI's shot up to 6-10 range. No amount of tinkering with pressures seemed to help. After carefully looking at the nightly data the only thing I can determine is in the auto mode, the lower intial pressure was triggering apnea events. Then the machine would increasing pressure as designed to stop the event. So basically it was a cycle of causing the event and stopping it. I changed modes back to bipap, 13 & 16 and my AHI's dropped back to 1 to 2. So in my case at a constant pressure setting prevents apnea where as in auto triggers them.

blarg

Post by blarg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:29 am

If you were going on CPAP at 15, in my opinion, you should bump that min up higher (12 or 13). It takes time to respond to events.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!