Apria Healthcare Fraud

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:58 pm

What a shock-our old friend's Apria overcharging!!
I don't use them but like others the only time I have heard from my worthless DME was at 12 months. Postcard-it's been 12 months do you need more filters or mask? No,thanks-I LOVE cpap.com!!!!!!!!!!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:01 pm

You're not alone, BamaLady!!! The only time I EVER hear from my CPAP DME is when "I" call "them"! And then I get so ticked off and frustrated w/them I try like heck not to ever have to call them.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

DP

Post by DP » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Gee I wonder why compliance is only 50%? When will the DME companies get a clue?

DP
RPSGT

Bamalady

Post by Bamalady » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Slinky.......I called my DME at 12 months to order a new mask. I was told they didn't have it in stock, but would order it and send it right out. A month later I called and asked 'where is my mask?'. I finally got it about 5 weeks after my initial call.

Bamalady

Post by Bamalady » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Gee I wonder why compliance is only 50%? When will the DME companies get a clue?
Good questions, DP. I would not have known I could even order a new mask if it had not been for this Board and calling my Insurance Co. Sleep Lab folks didn't tell me, Doc didn't tell me, and DME didn't tell.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:30 pm

Slinky wrote:The only time I EVER hear from my CPAP DME is when "I" call "them"!
Ditto. But then, my DME is CPAP.COM and I only call them when I need something.

I'm just SO GLAD I never let the B & M DMEs get into my pockets from the very beginning.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

georgev747

SCAM

Post by georgev747 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:46 pm

fidget,
Do you have any doubt that Apria healthcare acted in bad Faith?.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:03 pm

H*ll, I knew even less than that the first time around. Sleep lab said nothing, sleep doc said nothing and DME said nothing. After 2 1/2 months w/a mask tearing my face up I went in to talk to the DME about maybe trying a different mask and they told me I would have to pay out of pocket for every mask I tried. So I went home, got the CPAP, took it back to the DME and wasn't exactly nice about it.

That's 10 years of CPAP use I should have been getting and DIDN'T get!!!

I didn't know much more this time around except I KNEW I didn't want to deal w/that same DME. Yeah, well. Guess who got stuck w/the same DME? And their service hasn't improved one iota since then!!!!

Fortunately, this forum wised me up so that I'm at least not stuck w/them for my masks, etc. Just the machine itself for the next 7 months. Then its mine and they can go to ......

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

fidget

Post by fidget » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:28 pm

No they did not act in bad faith. As a consumer it's up to you to know what you're paying for. And I know with absolutely no doubt whatsoever, that everything you signed covers everything they charged you.

You have every right to return your rental machine, no refund for the charges already put through, but you can't return the humidifier or mask for a refund.

And I also know with no doubt whatsoever that all this suit is going to get you is the cost of the court charges and filing fees. I hate to see you waste even more money.

DME bashing is a great sport here, but again please understand YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY sets the price that the DME charges. The only exception are the mom and pops, who don't have national contracts with insurance companies. And companies who don't accept assignment, like CPAP.com.

georgev747

counterintuitive

Post by georgev747 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:40 pm

fidget,
why would an insurance company agree to pay 2-3 times retail for a Cpap machine or anything? upbilling, doublebilling, corporate kickbacks? common, you seem live a very sharp individual, i know you could blame the insurance company, so do i, the problem is not the price, the problem is the fraud.

fidget

Post by fidget » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:13 pm

No fraud to it George, sorry.

On the workorder you signed, it clearly stated rental of the cpap machine. Sale for everything else.

And the charge is what your insurance company sets as the price. I honestly don't see how you can even come close to seeing it as fraud.

And down in the bottom right hand corner of the workorder, is a space where they'd have written your credit card info in, agreeing to pay the copay.

You signed the workorder, or you wouldn't have gotten the equipment. You signed the credit card area, or your card wouldn't have accepted the charge.

You can't cry foul when you signed paperwork agreeing to charges. And if you were too sick to pay attention to what you were signing, then that isn't their problem. They delivered your equipment, charged you exactly the rate your insurance company sets, and expect the payment you agreed to at the time.

I'd love it if you'd scan in a copy of your workorder from when you got the machine, if you need help finding what it was you signed.

georgev747

bull

Post by georgev747 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:22 pm

i agreed to the charges in the paperwork as final charges , not as a rental. in the 4th page where i signed that is what is represented i did not sign any other page, no further charges,i will let a Jury decide.

fidget

Post by fidget » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:25 pm

Well, lots of luck then, but do please let us know how that goes for you.

georgev747

i will be happy to post the contratc

Post by georgev747 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:28 pm

I will be happy to post the contract
but where?

daelic

Post by daelic » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:48 pm

DP wrote:A good DME company should contact you within 48 hours of you receive your CPAP machine, 2 weeks after that, 1 month after that and then every 3 months thereafter. This is why the cost is what it is. Insurance carriers expect them to follow-up with their patients and make sure they are compliant. If your DME company is not doing this then they are ripping off your insurance carrier and you.
I used Apria as my DME when i got my equipment around the end of February. I have never received a single phone call from them, beyond the initial appointment setup.

Of course, I was unhappy with them from the start, so I can't say their 'hands off' approach really bothers me too much.