always congested> nasal or full face?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
debstieb

always congested> nasal or full face?

Post by debstieb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:30 pm

I am fairly new to this, and have had a few good nights and a few bad ones.I am going to the doctor tomorrow and do not want to make a mistake w/mask selection. Last night I guess I took the mask off in my sleep and woke up extremely congested. I like the mask I am using and am worried that a full face might leak or be uncomfortable. I have a very hard time getting comfortable at night anyway, especially with all of this new stuff. Any suggestions?

Thnx,

Deb

bookwrm63

Post by bookwrm63 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Deb,

I've been using a FF mask since Jan. now. I struggled alot for the 1st few weeks. Now I have a horrible headcold and it has become my best friend! I have been sleeping so well at night and my numbers have never been so low. I can't explain it other than that I've finally made the right adjustments and my leaks have been 0 for 2 nights now. Also, my comfy new Pad A Cheeks make it even nicer!
I use the F & P 431 and my mother just got that one as well.
If you can tolerate nasal pillow type masks, you may want to try the Hybrid.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Mary

blarg

Post by blarg » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Deb, you might notice that the width of your avatar is taking up a lot of space on the page. I took the liberty of resizing it:

Welcome to the forums!
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

DP

Post by DP » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Deb, do you have a heated humidifier?

DP
RPSGT

debstieb

congestion

Post by debstieb » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:58 am

Thank you for resizing the avatar for me Blarg. I thought it was going to be too large. I do have a humidifier, and it seems to help, but I have been congested for years, even with steroid nasal sprays, decongestants, and zyrtec. If I get a cold I will be congested for a month or more.

Thnx.

Deb

DP

Post by DP » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:18 am

Sometimes it is necessary to clear the nose up surgically. Steriod nasal spray can be effective, but can take up to 3 months before the benefit is noticed. How about a breathright nasal strip along with the CPAP? I've had some patients be successful doing this.

DP
RPSGT

SleepySandy

Post by SleepySandy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:12 pm

I have had a FF mask for a couple of months and I won't go back to nasal-only. I started off with nasal-only and found I breathe through my mouth at some point in the night. I tried taping and it didn't work.

Since you're always congested I would go straight to a FF mask. If you end up with some type of treatment / surgery that clears up your constant congestion you can always switch to a nasal-only.

The only bummer about being a FF mask user is the selection is pretty limited when compared to the nasal-only masks.

Make sure your DME has a broad selection of FF masks to try and try them with a CPAP at your pressure, preferable lying down. Also, ask if they allow you to exchange the mask if you have trouble with it. I went through 5 masks (3 nasal-only; 2 FF) until I finally got one that worked for me. My DME exchanged each mask out, meaning my insurance only paid for the first one. I think I was pretty lucky with the number of times they exchanged it out, but I think you should definitely be able to exchange it at least once.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:41 pm

When I am congested (allergies, cold, etc.), I definitely turn to my ComfortFull 2 mask. That was my first full face mask. It took maybe a month to get used to it (where I didn't really even realize I had it on). When I am not congested, I use the Comfort Light 2 nasal mask with the pillows. I'm a right side only sleeper.

Kimberly

KimberlyinMN

Post by KimberlyinMN » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:42 pm

Sheesh, darn it all. I was logged in before I posted the message above.

debstieb

Thnx for replies :)

Post by debstieb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:00 am

I am not sure what is worse now, the congestion or the getting used to all this. I have a good night , then a bad one. It's either too loose and leaks, or too tight and I get pressure sores. There's got to be a better way (ugh)'

Deb

SelfSeeker

Re: Thnx for replies :)

Post by SelfSeeker » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:55 am

The congestion is worse.

Eventually when you stop fighting all of this as you described it, you get used to it. yes it is true, you will get used to it. The interface has to be comfortable, your pressure has to be right etc.

As for the congestion, why are you congested: Allergies, cold those you can treat they will go away in the mean time, use something to breathe through your mouth.

Do you have medical issues that you need to see an ENT for?

When on a nasal pillows and prongs. The air was not getting into the nostril that was stuffed up. So I decided to buy the Hybrid as my FF mask for when I had colds. I like the Hybrid mask as a full face mask. Try it. I use it all the time now.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/RespCa ... -Mask.html

I discovered that the humidity being turned on was causing my congestion. (I was getting congested as soon as I put on the interface even while sitting up.)

I turned off the humidity and started using the Aussie heated hose and no more congestion. Very little now, even with allergy season. (I wonder if the two filters helps at night.)

Try different FF masks. Make sure they are comfortable and do not leak when you are laying down at the prescribed pressure.

If something feels tight or uncomfortably painful, do not get the interface, it will not improve.
debstieb wrote:I am not sure what is worse now, the congestion or the getting used to all this. I have a good night , then a bad one. It's either too loose and leaks, or too tight and I get pressure sores. There's got to be a better way (ugh)'

Deb

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Janine

Post by Janine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:20 pm

I have been doing this for almost 3 weeks now, and have found several things that seem to work on my congestion. I am using a FF but want to breathe through my nose so I can get a nasal only too, and not wake up with a dry mouth.

1. I turned off the humidifier and use passover only. Having it on 3 gave me some congestion, and when I got a new machine and it was set to 5 accidentally, I had to take off the mask within an hour.

2. Based on info from this forum, I started using a neti pot for sinus cleansing. I find that it helps significantly. I find it works best for me if I do it in the early evening versus at bedtime.

3. If you can wear them, breathe right strips may help. I used them to stop the snoring (didn't help) but they can open the passages.

I find that I am getting more comfortable with all this "stuff". Adding a hose cover helped. I find the FF does leak at times, but mostly fits, now that I have the right size. That said, I had a great night a day ago, wore it all night, but then last night I got an hour in and then took it off. I am not sure why, but this is definitely a work in progress...

debstieb

Thanks for listening to me rant......lol

Post by debstieb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:08 pm

You are all so nice. I know now after the nights of sleeping with it on that I feel better. It just takes some getting used to ...Thanks again for being so nice

Deb

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:29 pm

I would suggest if you have chronic nasal congestion that you go see an ENT and find out the reason why.

CPAP therapy will always be difficult for you if you have an obstruction with your nose that is causing the congestion. It does no good to use a nasal spray if you have a deviated septum or blocked nasal valve.

With a visit to an ENT, they should be able to tell you the reason why in a matter of minutes.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...