I went to CPAP class!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vandownbytheriver

I went to CPAP class!

Post by vandownbytheriver » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 pm

Just got back from a CPAP class! Picked up my new Aircurve 10 vAuto. It has a new model tub, big fan of that! Has the circle plate instead of the square one. Also I've got a new mask, the ResMed AirTouch N20... feels like a great mask, I'm going to have to deal with mouth leaks again, this is a memory-foam nasal. I like the fact that it has normal exhaust ports without diffuser.

Anyway I got kicked out of the class... the poor lady teaching it just started in with the misinformation and I couldn't stay quiet. Yes, you *can* use tap water, no, it *won't* void your warranty, no, there's *not* different tubs for CPAP and bi-level machines... I don't think anyone in there was a user, this is common.

I pointed the others in the class to Facebook as a resource for help, hopefully some of them make it there... I run Central Texas CPAPpers where I tout this and other forums as useful resources. I was given a 1on1 with a guy that got me fitted for the mask and sent on my way. The lady mentioned that they don't get overtime, a nice way to let us know to shut up and get out.

I was titrated on a Philips Respironics biPap machine but my doctor set me up with 17/21 PS3... I've been running PS4 ever since looking at the sleep report since those are the pressures given, and it's been working great. I wanted a new machine and for insurance to pay for it... what a PITA! I *have* to rent-to-buy... after my deductible year ends the rental goes up! I'm still getting a new Aircurve 10 vAuto for about 350$... worth it. I am the king of Ax10s now... five in my stable.

Janknitz

Re: I went to CPAP class!

Post by Janknitz » Wed May 01, 2024 6:54 pm

Was your CPAP class with Kaiser? Are you on Senior Advantage?
If so, you might want to check your Evidence of Coverage (you can find it online, it's the actual contract between you and your insurer). HMO's can charge a perpetual rental and Kaiser does. So you NEVER own your machine, and you have to pay the monthly rental for life.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Wed May 01, 2024 7:24 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:54 pm
Was your CPAP class with Kaiser? Are you on Senior Advantage?
If so, you might want to check your Evidence of Coverage (you can find it online, it's the actual contract between you and your insurer). HMO's can charge a perpetual rental and Kaiser does. So you NEVER own your machine, and you have to pay the monthly rental for life.
That would be CPAP Hell. I'm on UHC... the DME is AdaptHealth/Aerocare, 5min from my house. I'm only doing this because a) I met my deductible by getting a bi-level titration and b) why not get them to buy me a new machine? Sucks that UHC makes me rent-to-own, especially since the 'rental' goes up at the end of my deductible year... I'll pay two months full 'rent' of 160$ at the end in February.... still a deal on a new Aircurve 10 vAuto, about 300$... plus a free mask! I tried the nasal N20 memory foam... felt nice, but could not hold the pressures even with mouth tape/chin strap... went back today and got the F20, got to keep the N20, just had to give back the cushions. Insurance is a scam in USA, make them pay every chance you get. The others in the class were given new Aircurve 11's, sad to watch that travesty happen.

If you happen to know someone of tight means stuck in that situation let me know, I'm ready to help. Got five of these things, three running vAuto.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 04, 2024 10:20 pm

Those "classes" are mostly a forum for DME lies.
The bullfrog and I were banished years ago!