valves seem to close when I exhale

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ZorkNation

valves seem to close when I exhale

Post by ZorkNation » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:37 am

When I inhale, I feel air escape from the valves around the air inlet of the mask where the pivot join attaches.

When I exhale, no air escapes from the mask. Instead, all my exhaled air goes back up into the tube.

Then when I inhale, it drives my previous exhalation back into my lungs.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Wouldn't I want the valves to open and let the air out when I exhale?

As a result, I very quickly feel like I am breathing into a bag and suffocating on stale air.

It worked just fine when I first got it, before I registered it with Kaiser Permanente's network system. (It was set at 5 by default.) Now I basically can't use it. Their techs are no help at all. They don't believe me. The only suggestion they have is to increase the pressure. It seems like increased pressure when I exhale causes the exhaust valves to seal completely so the exhaled air can't get out. I wouldn't think that additional pressure from the pump would help at all with that... seems like it would only make it worse.

I'm going to try to get it into clinician mode and see what I can fiddle with. However, this seems like a problem with the mask design, not the pump unit... unless somehow it detects when I exhale and sets the pressure at that point to something that causes the mask to seal... except the screen says it is set at a constant pressure of 7.0.

Suggestions?

ozij

Re: valves seem to close when I exhale

Post by ozij » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:16 am

Which mask?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:12 pm

ZorkNation wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:37 am
Suggestions?
1. Please specify the mask models. There are dozens of models.

2. No CPAP has exhaust valves.

3. You may be talking about anti-asphyxia valves. These stay closed when the machine is running. They open and provide fresh air when the machine is no longer running.

4. Breathed air is expelled through the exhaust vents which have no valves to close them.

5. What are your current pressure settings? Are you sure it is 7.0 CPAP? Who changed it?

We need more information. A wild guess is that your pressure setting is so low that the anti-asphyxia valves open. But, that is just a wild guess.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:45 pm

If you are looking at a flexible valve at the front of a full face mask,
that is the ANTI-ASPHYXIA valve.
It should be closed unless your machine is not running, like in a power outage.
The exhaust vents always release gases while the cpap is running.
They wash out carbon dioxide, which you want gone from there.

TolanaAudery

Post by TolanaAudery » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:59 am

I understand your frustration with the CPAP machine and the air leaking situation. While I can't provide medical advice, here are some suggestions that might help:

1. Seek Professional Help:

Contact a different Kaiser Permanente technician: Explain the issue clearly and emphasize that increasing pressure hasn't helped. Request escalation to a supervisor or respiratory therapist for further evaluation.
Consult your doctor: They can assess the situation and potentially recommend a different mask or adjust machine settings based on your specific needs.
2. Troubleshooting Tips:

Check the mask fit: Ensure the mask is properly sealed around your face, with no gaps near the air inlet or exhaust valves.
Clean the mask: Regularly cleaning the mask and its components can help ensure proper valve function. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning procedures.
Inspect the valves: Look for any visible damage or debris that might be affecting their functionality.
3. Information Gathering:

Note down readings: During future interactions with technicians, document the pressure readings before and after you attempt to use the machine. This might help identify any pressure changes related to exhalation.
Research the mask model: Look for online resources or forums dedicated to your specific mask model. Other users might have encountered similar issues and found solutions.
Remember, your comfort and well-being are essential. Don't hesitate to seek qualified medical assistance to resolve this issue and ensure your CPAP therapy is effective.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:05 am

TolanaAudery wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:59 am
1. Seek Professional Help:

Contact a different Kaiser Permanente technician: Explain the issue clearly and emphasize that increasing pressure hasn't helped. Request escalation to a supervisor or respiratory therapist for further evaluation.
Consult your doctor: They can assess the situation and potentially recommend a different mask or adjust machine settings based on your specific needs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:40 pm

We need to know which mask you are using. There have been some documented issues with leakage around the elbow that connects some masks to the hose, particularly full face masks. Sometimes it's a matter of paying attention to that spot and PROPERLY seating the elbow and the mask, sometimes the mask is defective and you need a replacement. So without more information we can't help.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm