Not slept thru the night since March, I'm miserable and frustrated, help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
devneyeileen

Not slept thru the night since March, I'm miserable and frustrated, help!

Post by devneyeileen » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:14 pm

Hi I was diagnosed to sleep apnea in March that's when I got my CPAP machine. I use a ResMed airsense 11 and an f30 mask. I've adjusted the settings with the doctor looked at my medications etc. I have not slept through the night since March and I am absolutely miserable. I wake up almost every night around 2:00 a.m. and I'm up until 5:00 usually.

We've done everything with the pressure. We've done it changing it from 5 to 15 then 8 to 20 then continuously 11. Nothing works I still wake up every night. I'm exhausted and I'm crabby and I am barely functioning.

My sleep study that I did at home which diagnosed me with the apnea showed I had only Central events and hypo apneas. There was Zero obstructive events. So I don't even know if this is the right treatment. The doctors I worked with except for the most recent one have not been great. Finally I have someone who is going to at least get me into a sleep study at a clinic in a few weeks.

Everybody says it takes a little while for the CPAP to work. It's been almost 10 months and I keep waiting for the day when I will wake up refreshed and have this be the best thing ever and I don't know if the day will ever come.

Has anyone else gone through this? Like only having the central apnea and hypo apnea and not being able to sleep? I've tried melatonin sleeping meds from the doctors like nothing works. I would love some support and encouragement. Thank you so much!

ozij

Re: Not slept thru the night since March, I'm miserable and frustrated, help!

Post by ozij » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:34 pm

Please read and study the following blog, created by a forum member who suffered from terrible insomnia after she started using CPAP.
taming-cpap-induced-insomnia-monster
Here's the URL:
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... er_19.html

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:38 pm

It would help us help you if you could post a copy of your sleep study, and if you could download and use Oscar and post reports that would help even more. If you don't have your sleep study ask your doctor for it. By law, they have to give it to you.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:57 am

devneyeileen wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:14 pm
We've done it changing it from 5 to 15 then 8 to 20 then continuously 11. Nothing works I still wake up every night.
Just throwing stuff against the wall to see if anything will stick. It sounds like your medical team has been incompetent. But now,
devneyeileen wrote:
Finally I have someone who is going to at least get me into a sleep study at a clinic in a few weeks.

... things could be changing. Do what you can to speed up the sleep test. Ask to be put on a waiting list for cancellations.

In the meantime, why not forego all the worry and struggle to make things better? Have hope that the lab study will get you going on the success track.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:39 pm

Do you know what kind of sleep study you'll be having? Ideally it would be a "split study," with part of the night just you sleeping on your own and part of the night you sleeping with a machine. And ideally, that machine would be able to emulate a regular CPAP machine, a bi-level machine, and an ASV machine (adaptive servo ventilation).

If any part of your sleep test will be without a machine, you might be wise to stop using your home machine a week or two in advance of the test. There's a little bit of evidence that machine use right up to the time of the study can distort the results. There's some other advice here:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-s ... leep-study
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

VVV

Post by VVV » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:59 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:39 pm
stop using your home machine a week or two in advance of the test.
I fume each time this advice comes up. A week without would kill me. One night without is disastrous. At my age, I am not as resilient as a younger person. Two nights would probably kill me.
.....................................V

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:10 pm

VVV wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:59 pm
Miss Emerita wrote:
I fume each time this advice comes up. A week without would kill me. One night without is disastrous. At my age, I am not as resilient as a younger person. Two nights would probably kill me.
i'm with you. i've suffered through a power outage in the past and it was horrible!

however, i get it that the test is best done without cpap at first, to get the best results on the test.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:59 pm

VVV wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:59 pm
Miss Emerita wrote:
I hear you, VV! But the OP seems to be in a different place.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

VVV

Post by VVV » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:34 pm

devneyeileen wrote:
Finally I have someone who is going to at least get me into a sleep study at a clinic in a few weeks.
Have you had the sleep lab study yet?

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:42 pm

VVV wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:34 pm
devneyeileen wrote:
Have you had the sleep lab study yet?
op has not been back in since they posted. we may never know.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

VVV

Post by VVV » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:58 pm

And I hadn't been back since Tgiving.