AirFit F20 hurts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robert-tim

AirFit F20 hurts

Post by robert-tim » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:25 am

This mask puts pressure on the bridge of the nose, and after a few days of using it I discovered that the area had become sore and red. I currently use the strange looking Dreamwear mask successfully, but I also have another full face mask with the triangular shape but makes contact with the forehead, and this is more comfortable as well.

OSCAR

Miss Emerita

Re: AirFit F20 hurts

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:29 am

So you've switched from the AirFit F20 to another mask? If yes, good move. You really don't need to put up with a mask that damages your skin.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:42 pm

I was stuck with two masks--that worked, but hurt me in different places.
I alternated between them until I found the GOOD ONE.
The important thing is to keep on keepin' on.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:46 am

robert-tim wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:25 am
I currently use the strange looking Dreamwear mask successfully,
There are at least three other manufacturers who make that style of mask. I have used the ResMed version for so long that styles like the AirFit F20 look strange to me. :mrgreen:

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:35 am

I am like Froggy. The F20 would beat my nose up. I would put my old trusty Phillips Fitlife Total Face mask on for a while. It's been a few years on the Total mask. Dang... I haven't thought about going back.

Sheriff

amenite

Post by amenite » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:38 am

robert-tim wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:25 am
This mask puts pressure on the bridge of the nose, and after a few days of using it I discovered that the area had become sore and red. I currently use the strange looking Dreamwear mask successfully, but I also have another full face mask with the triangular shape but makes contact with the forehead, and this is more comfortable as well.
I tried the F20 way back and also found the nose bridge problem, it worked but was god awful uncomfortable. I bailed on it probably after one night. For full face mask I am still on a Resmed Quattro Fx. Works well enough but it's not my "daily driver".

tyrinryan

Post by tyrinryan » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:19 am

The airfit F20 gave me red marks on the nose bridge but the airtouch (foam) F20 is a whole different world. I recommend trying it, if the F20 style fits your face. It's just really very expensive .

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:59 am

tyrinryan wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:19 am
The airfit F20 gave me red marks on the nose bridge but the airtouch (foam) F20 is a whole different world. I recommend trying it, if the F20 style fits your face. It's just really very expensive .
--and is not designed to be used much past 4 weeks.
A mask liner (ahem--padacheek) may help your nose without changing masks.
I used a Band Aid on my nose with the f20.
It worked fine until I wore the Band Aid to work.
"What happened to your nose, Froggy?"

tyrinryan

Post by tyrinryan » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:22 am

I have found that if you rotate a pair of the F20 touch every other day, AND don't clean them aggressively, you can easily get 2 months out of them. The 2 of them will last 4 months. But even then, they are still expensive. I found the liners over the F20 fit (or touch) awkward. But regardless of the price, for me, it is not worth taking a chance on a nose bridge problem.

CPAP-A-MUST

Post by CPAP-A-MUST » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:44 am

Both the AirFit F20 and AirTouch F20 almost caused me to give up on CPAP. The discomfort was over-the-top but going out in public looking like I lost a fist fight was more than I could take. Thankfully, I discovered lots of great online resources and was able to go with a nasal cushion and mouth tape. Made all the difference in the world.
Machine: ResMed AS10 for Her w/Humdifier & ClimateLine Hose
Settings: Fixed at 8 cm H2O, EPR 1
Mask: ResMed N30i
Other: Kinesiology Tape

“Gratitude and attitude are choices, not challenges”

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:17 pm

Finding the best mask is perhaps the hardest part of the CPAP journey. I have gone through several masks since I started. Every face is unique and what works for one person may not work for someone else. My wife and I used the F20 for three or four years, then we switched over to the Evora last summer and have been using that ever since. I may switch again at some point in the future if I see a new mask that looks interesting.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

robert-tim

Post by robert-tim » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:58 pm

tyrinryan wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:22 am
I have found that if you rotate a pair of the F20 touch every other day, AND don't clean them aggressively, you can easily get 2 months out of them. The 2 of them will last 4 months. But even then, they are still expensive. I found the liners over the F20 fit (or touch) awkward. But regardless of the price, for me, it is not worth taking a chance on a nose bridge problem.
I found one on Ebay for $20, which is about half the retail price. (I didn't continue to use it, though, preferring another mask.) But if someone likes them and insurance doesn't cover the cost, that might be a good place to look.

OSCAR