Bought a new computer - can't get Resmed SD card to read

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fmj13

Bought a new computer - can't get Resmed SD card to read

Post by fmj13 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:13 am

Hi,

My sleep has been really poor lately. I wanted to check on the data in OSCAR, but the computer to recognize my ResMed SD card. The computer does not even show a drive for it, but It won't let me reassign a drive. I am thinking of buying a hub as besides this issue, my new computer has less card and usb slots than my old computer did. I tried most of the fixed at: https://www.easeus.com/partition-manage ... ws-10.html
I was concerned about removing all of the universal serial bus controllers. I could not create a new drive letter for the SD card.

Any advice?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Bought a new computer - can't get Resmed SD card to read

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:24 am

fmj13 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:13 am
I wanted to check on the data in OSCAR, but the computer to recognize my ResMed SD card.
Does your computer recognize any card inserted into the reader slot you are using?

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:36 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:24 am
fmj13 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:13 am
I wanted to check on the data in OSCAR, but the computer to recognize my ResMed SD card.
Does your computer recognize any card inserted into the reader slot you are using?
I tried a different card and no, it does not recognize it.

Neither card makes the computer make a sound and my old computer showed the slots for the cards even if there were no cards inserted, this one does not.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:28 am

A fairly recent Dell desktop PC with Win11 here. I opened up Explorer to show the drives. While both the C and D drive show, the card reader does not show up with no card in the slot. For this Dell the SD card 'latches' when fully seated and 'unlatches' when pressed again. When Inserted the SD card it took a second or so for the card to show. Interestingly the card can be inserted either way (contacts left or right), but in one orientation the card does not show. If you haven't tried, perhaps try to see if flipping the card so the pins are inserted to the opposite side makes a difference. Your card reader may be different than the Dell, so don't force it if it doesn't appear to want to go in.

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:58 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:28 am
A fairly recent Dell desktop PC with Win11 here. I opened up Explorer to show the drives. While both the C and D drive show, the card reader does not show up with no card in the slot. For this Dell the SD card 'latches' when fully seated and 'unlatches' when pressed again. When Inserted the SD card it took a second or so for the card to show. Interestingly the card can be inserted either way (contacts left or right), but in one orientation the card does not show. If you haven't tried, perhaps try to see if flipping the card so the pins are inserted to the opposite side makes a difference. Your card reader may be different than the Dell, so don't force it if it doesn't appear to want to go in.
Thanks, that worked. My desktop is a dell.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:02 am

fmj13 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:58 am
Thanks, that worked. My desktop is a dell.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:14 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:28 am
When Inserted the SD card it took a second or so for the card to show. Interestingly the card can be inserted either way (contacts left or right),
Just out of curiosity, you are saying that the SD card can be fully inserted with the contacts in the wrong orientation? The card is flipped over 180 degrees from its normal/expected position? I've never encountered an SD card reader that allowed one to do this. In my experience the drive always blocks full insertion of the card if you have the card flipped. What model is the laptop I wonder?

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 am

amenite wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:14 am
Just out of curiosity, you are saying that the SD card can be fully inserted with the contacts in the wrong orientation? The card is flipped over 180 degrees from its normal/expected position? I've never encountered an SD card reader that allowed one to do this. In my experience the drive always blocks full insertion of the card if you have the card flipped. What model is the laptop I wonder?
Yeah, kinda surprised me as well when I tried it and your question prompted me to look at this again. I have to confess to an error on my part. When I went to check this for the OP I grabbed a random card out of a storage box I keep memory cards in. I didn't take notice of it at the time and this morning realized the card was an MMC (MultiMediaCard) card which essentially is the identical shape of an SD card, but a bit thinner. I have a few MMC cards that were supplied with older digital cameras. The thinner MMC card would go in the SD card slot either way, but a real SD card as you mention will not insert in reversed orientation. It was a fluke thought that the OP's card may have been inserted reversed and I wonder if the OP's card was an MMC or if the card not being read was another issue which was resolved, either by fully inserting so it latched, if it does so or simply waiting a few seconds for the computer to recognize the card.
My current digital cameras don't like MMC cards, so the storage box gets sorted out today.

amenite

Post by amenite » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:28 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 am
so the storage box gets sorted out today.
MMC - that makes sense, I went thru a "first pass" sorting not too long ago and found no MMC cards but I was a surprised at how may of these USB storage devices I have amassed over the years. Maybe there's a 12 step group or something. I even had a couple of CF cards in the mix with capacity 16 MB (yes MB not GB). Collectible perhaps? :)