Poll - MD requests for xPAP Data?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How often has your GP or Sleep Doctor - (actual MD not tech) asked for xPAP data?

Every Visit
5%
Every other visit
No votes
Every so often
No votes
Only once in multiple visits
No votes
Never
95%

Total votes: 21

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Poll - MD requests for xPAP Data?

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:40 am

Bill got me curious.

In 14 months one RT has asked me once for compliance data only.

In 4 visits no doctor has asked.

David
Only go straight, don't know.

frete50

Post by frete50 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:47 am

My doctor is concerned about my progress with CPAP treatment. She has even called to check up on me and wants to know if CPAP is doing what it is supposed to. I would not use any doctor (DO).

Becky

SleepySandy

Post by SleepySandy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:11 am

No one asked me. I waited a while and asked them. They didn't seem overly concerned with gettting the data but I do know the sleep doc looked at the printouts.

I'm so glad he looked at those printouts. They cost my insurance company $97. $97 just to download the data from my card and print out the reports.

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:14 am

I've had 4 or 5 visits to my Primary Physician since becoming a hosehead. All he asks is "Are you still using your CPAP?" I figure since he's soooo concerned, all I answer is "Yep". I haven't told him which machine I've ended up with or that I've got the software to monitor it and that I've pretty much taken charge of my treatment. He's a darn good doc, just not that interested in my CPAP printouts or results as long as I keep using it.

Kajun

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:30 am

Nobody ever asked.
A few weeks after I started therapy, (at a scheduled, follow-up appointment) I took in copies of my reports from Encore Pro and the doctor tried to claim that the reports couldn't be accurate since I was using almost half the pressure he'd prescribed. (He prescribed 18....I changed it to 10 on my own)

Later that year, I happened to accompany my wife to the same clinic for a doctor's appointment and dropped off another set of MyEncore (cumulative) reports. And, last year, when I asked for a copy of my sleep study, what did they send me?......copies of THOSE reports that I'd given his office staff.

They don't know.....they don't care.

Den (depriving his sleep doctor of some income)

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Bearclaw

Re: Poll - MD requests for xPAP Data?

Post by Bearclaw » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:41 am

Snoozin' Bluezzz wrote:Bill got me curious.

In 14 months one RT has asked me once for compliance data only.

In 4 visits no doctor has asked.

David
I'm two months in, and no request from my Dr. However I did receive a questionnaire from Apria though. No data request, just a few basic questions.

However since I'm with Kaiser HMO, this may be par for the course.

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:36 pm

My sleep doctor has requested data downloaded from my Synchrony BiPAP ST and he even wrote out script for me to have the software. I went ahead and bought it, since all I needed was the software, no card reader for the Synchrony, and didn't want to hassle with insurance or anything. How often he requested the information depended on what was going on, if things were staying about the same, there really wasn't a need other then a summary report or two I'd bring to office visits. When things got worse last year, he had me send in or drop off the data regularly, along with my notes on how I slept & how I felt during the day, every week or so. After he reviewed it, we would talk via phone and often he made recommendations to try slightly different settings, especially pertaining to the backup rate on my BiPAP ST to see if it made any significant differences. My situation is a little different then most, with having Central Sleep Apnea with Complex Sleep Disordered Breathing tendencies, severe Alpha Wave Intrusion, CAP and a lot of other non-sleep related medical issues.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:41 pm

Close to my 4 year cpap anniversary, and the initial Sleep Doctor never has contacted me for a followup. He wrote my first apap prescription.

I went to a new Pulmonologist last year, took him my detailed reports, and got a new prescription from him. So I purchased a 2nd machine in case my first one fails.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 pm

The Dr. never, but I give him or the girls a printout everytime. No need he trusts me to act in my own best interest, I've shown him i've got it controlled. He says he wishes his other patients took it seriously.

The DME, Lincare, wants me to bring in my machine to they can read the compliance, I tell them if it breaks I'll bring it in, and give them a made up number for the hours. (I don't use that machine at all anymore, it's stored)

I would have gave it back and stopped the INS payments on it, but the INS wouldn't reimburse me for buying my own. That's showed me the INS wasn't wanting to save any money, so I am letting them pay for it while it sets in the closet. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:10 pm

my MD always asks how I'm doing on CPAP but has never once asked about my data.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:17 pm

A good poll deserves to be bumped every now and again.

Regards,
Bill

wolftracker

been asked

Post by wolftracker » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:39 pm

i have never been asked for a report by anyone
but i have follow up appts every 6 months
and bring a copy of my report with me to give him

he makes notes on it and says you are doing
well

wolf

JimW

Post by JimW » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:02 pm

I've never laid eyes on the physician who signed my initial PSG and titration studies. Don't think my GP knows too much about machines, though she's willing to be supportive. Machine was a purchase from the start, so no queries from the DME.

MY 19 year old daughter will soon be scheduled for an initial PSG. I'd guess that the sleep center will show the same immense amount of interest in her treatment. My wife had a study at a different (hospital-affiliated) lab and was not impressed. I may need to look into other options locally.

Resmed S8 Vantage - integrated humidifier
Mirage Swift nasal pillow system
Autoscan 5.7 software

linrey

First follow-up coming

Post by linrey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:37 pm

I've only been on CPAP for a little less than a month (doing well) and my sleep Doc asked me to bring the smartcard with me for my first follow-up in a couple of weeks.

I'll see if I can get tips on reading the data - I've ordered the card reader and software.

Alisha

Post by Alisha » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:40 pm

My sleep doc, (pulmonary) has never asked for compliance data. He is an accredited sleep disorder physician. The DME told me I did not need a smartcard.

After I took control of my therapy, I told my doc last time I saw him that I was now using an auto cpap. He started telling me that the autopaps did not work and that they could not move from one pressure to another in time to stop apneas. As politely as possible I told him, "I don't want to hear anymore of that. I know that some doctors still believe what you're saying, but I know it isn't true." So he then asked, "Which do you prefer?" My answer was "The autopap, of course."

Those of you who actually have a doctor who really understands xpap treatment and cares if your treatment is working are indeed blessed.

Regards,

Alisha

......The information provided in this post is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice......