Swift leak or exhaust?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wistful

Swift leak or exhaust?

Post by Wistful » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:29 am

So I love my swift, it's comfy and doesn't leak into my eye. As I get used to it, I almost fall asleep now However, now new things that never worried me before have started popping up. The principal one being some air I am feeling on my face. I use mask seal to ensure the pillows don't slip out of place and am careful to lie on the edge of the pillow so that the exhaust don't ricochet back onto me. Despite this, I feel gentle air movement on my face, it is not directly from the exhaust or a leak - could it be the exhaust moving air around it that is making my face tickle?

Thanks!!!
Wistful

Pressure 7-9 C-Flex 3 AHI 1.6
Mirage Swift
Marine Mask Seal so my mask doesn't leak
Polygrip Strips so my mouth doesn't leak
Di-Oval for aerophagia
Eye drops for air coming out my tear ducts
Pur-Sleep so I can fall asleep despite all of the above.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Re: Swift leak or exhaust?

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:34 am

Wistful wrote: Despite this, I feel gentle air movement on my face, it is not directly from the exhaust or a leak - could it be the exhaust moving air around it that is making my face tickle?

Thanks!!!
Wistful
Yes, I experience that some times. The Swift really puts out air in the exhaust. It's amazing. I think it is one reason it works so well for me because it is super efficient at CO2 clearance.

I got used to it.

David

Only go straight, don't know.

telly

Post by telly » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:38 am

Make sure exhaust holes are facing away from you, not toward you.

Who Loves Ya Baby?
telly

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:54 pm

yes, the exhaust is facing away from me, I may be tired, but not that tired
Thanks for making sure though,
Wistful
Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia

guest/lisa

Post by guest/lisa » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:52 am

check the silicone attachments on the sides of the interface, they sometimes leak, also if the headgear is bent outward the silicone circles that cover the headgear leak.

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:22 am

Ok, it's still happening. Every night, without fail I feel air gently moving on my face. I cannot find it's source!

If its leaking, it must be in between the two pillows since I can't feel there, but there is no discernable air coming from anywhere except the exhaust.

I may have issues with air coming through my tear ducts, but it I can't feel it coming out of there.

The problem is that gentle though it may be, it soon makes my face cold. Any swift users out there know what I can do?

Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia

Hurricane

Re: Swift leak or exhaust?

Post by Hurricane » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:14 am

[quote="Wistful"]So I love my swift, it's comfy and doesn't leak into my eye. As I get used to it, I almost fall asleep now However, now new things that never worried me before have started popping up. The principal one being some air I am feeling on my face. I use mask seal to ensure the pillows don't slip out of place and am careful to lie on the edge of the pillow so that the exhaust don't ricochet back onto me. Despite this, I feel gentle air movement on my face, it is not directly from the exhaust or a leak - could it be the exhaust moving air around it that is making my face tickle?

Thanks!!!
Wistful

Hi Wistful, I have been using the Swift 7 months now, and still when going to sleep I try adjusting it, by reajusting the pillow block, pushing on the end cap, turning the hose end etc. and settle for what it is. This mask has the exhaust ports designed to rid exhaled air thoroughly, and in doing so it does create slight issues such as you mention. I can only add to your list of attempts, is that I found I get less leakage from the hose end, where it attaches to the pillow block, if I rout the cpap hose under the covers, and place it on my chest ,arm over it keeps the leakage at a minamum for me.
Also I set my heated humidifier at three or two, air isn't cool that way.
I use a homemade cloth sleeve on the hose. I feel the Swift is probably the least troubled by rain out in the hose or mask because its so efficient at removing exhaled air, that would accumilate if its exhaust holes were reduced.

Hope you find peace and sound sleep.
Ed

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:08 am

That's very helpful Ed, thank you.

I seem to get less leakage from the hose end as well. I will play with my humidifier some more and see if that helps warm it up. I had my humidifier turned all the way up for a while (until I found out less humidity is better if you have tear duct issues) and didn't get rain out at all, which pleases me to no end.

If I wasn't so sleepy already, I'd say figuring out all of this is just exhausting

Have a good one!
W

Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia

stages3n4

Post by stages3n4 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:11 am

Have you tried the different sizes of pillows (it comes with three sets I think)

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:57 am

ya, the only one that fits is the small. I can't even get the tip of the medium in my nostrils!
W
Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:58 am

Hi Again W,
I just noticed you didn't mention if you were satisfied with your AHI numbers, if they are okay, thats one less concern, sometimes we all go over board tweeking out our new bed partner and just when we say forget about it, things work out, I forgot to say that someone I know uses a soft eye mask that people use to darken the light, because of air flow to her eyes.
Hey just like the tv commercial, Hey what do I know I'm just an eight hundred pound gorrila.
Ed

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:48 pm

I as thinking about an eye mask like that last night.

I don't have my numbers yet. At the end of the month I send my card to the RT who sends me a print up.

Thanks again, W
Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:19 pm

It does sound like a small leak under the pillows. Every once in awhile, I get that with my Aura. Have you reviewed and tried all the Swift "tips"?

Does reseating the Swift stop the leak?

If you could somehow rig up a pantyhose strap across the mask, it would help hold it closer to your nose. But you have to be careful and not block the exhaust vents.

svh

Post by svh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:22 pm

I use the Swift, and I'm happy with it. The one thing I can think of is sometimes the exhaust air deflects off the covers or pillow. Picture it going straight out from the holes--is there anything directly out in that direction (even 5-6 inches away)? The air is forceful enough that it will bounce back on you if something blocks it! I find that this happens fairly often. When I have an actual leak, it is much more noticeable, and usually makes a noise--hissing/whistling--that make it obviously a leak, not deflected air,

--Sarah

Wistful

Post by Wistful » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:06 pm

I know what you mean. I spend quite a bit of time moving things the exhaust is bouncing off of.

I don't hear any leaks, no hissing or whistling. I put my finger in front of my nose, where the pillows go in and move it away to see if I hear a difference in sound but there is nothing. So if the leak is coming from the pillows it must be very small.

I looked through the swift tips and may try 'taping' the edge. I have noticed that it can leak if the ends of headgear are pulled outwards. Perhaps the way I sleep causes them to stretch too wide. I try and keep the straps as loose as I can while keeping the pillows in place but I move quite a bit so that can't be too loose.

I have tried reseating it a few times and haven't noticed a difference.
I will keep at it!
W

Mirage Swift
Di-Oval for aerophagia