Will I ever sleep again?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Judith88

Will I ever sleep again?

Post by Judith88 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:47 am

I have just endured my second night on a CPAP machine, and would like to know how long this should take until I get used to it. The first night I flight slight panic with the mask on. I had it on for 50 minutes. At 5 in the morning, I put it back on and did sleep a while with it. Last night I tried to keep it on longer. I was more relaxed, but I could not fall asleep. After a couple of hours, it came off. I need some words of encouragement.

rested gal

encouragement

Post by rested gal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:15 am

It definitely can get better, Judith. What machine, what pressure, and what mask are you using? Do you have a heated humidifier? Is the machine set to start with the "ramp"feature turned on, and if so, what pressure is the ramp starting at?

Also, are you able to breathe through your nose easily? Does your nose feel stuffy when trying to breathe with the mask on?

Hang in there and take it small steps at a time. Look back through some of the older posts - especially at what Judy Ann has written about her problems getting used to this therapy at first and how much better it got for her.

johnnygoodman

It can be done!

Post by johnnygoodman » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:21 am

Howdy,

You've come to the right place Judith! Between rested gal, Ted "the Titrator" (I love saying that nickname ), and our other "cpap vets", you'll be able to tweak your treatment to your needs instead of putting up with it.

In addition to the machine questions, I'd ask about your mask. You said that you had a slight panic with the mask on. What kind do you have? There are all kinds of mask systems, some of them cover a lot less of the face than others.

Judith88

Post by Judith88 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:38 am

I have the Remstar Plus with a C-Flex heater. The mask goes over my nose only.

I believe the ramp starts at 3. My setting is for 6. The air does not bother me, because I really do not feel it. Sometimes I just open my mouth to see if it is still working.

I am more tired now than I was before the machine. At least I look like I am intently working at my desk

rested gal

6 is pretty low

Post by rested gal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:05 am

Hi Judith,

I'm no doctor, so take my suggestions with a big bag of salt...not just a grain.

The lowest the ramp can start is 4, I think, but you were guessing anyway, so that's ok. Anyway, I'd just turn the ramp feature off, if I were you. You should be able to breathe quite easily at your titrated pressure of 6.

6 is a very low pressure, but it might very well be all you need. Hopefully you'll start seeing some positive results when you get accustomed enough to all this that you are able to sleep longer with it on. But if you still feel sleepy after a couple of weeks of 6 hours or more a night, do check with your doctor about perhaps upping the pressure a notch or two.

Do you know the brand name of your mask...brand and model name? Should be imprinted somewhere on the mask itself or the headgear.

53now

Nightmare in the beginning !!!

Post by 53now » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:15 am

Hey Judith,
Welcome to our world. As my mind travels back in time (5 years) I remember these statements coming from my mouth. "NO WAY....am I going to be able to sleep let alone relax while sucking on this jet engine. (Pressure was 18/9) I hate this thing I hate this thing...............and on and on I went. It actually took me about 8 months to completely get used to this monster. 5 years later....I love it ! I can't sleep without it. What's the secret ??? Hopefully you have a good Doctor and DME. Your setup is vitally important. Everyone seems to be searching for that "Perfect mask" There are 20-30 different types of masks that range from Full Faced, Mini, to "Thingys" that fit inside and next to your nostrils. For me I had to make sure that I did not go to bed until I was very sleepy. If I was not sleepy.........I knew I was in for a longggggg night. Hang in there; Stay connected to a group of experienced people (like Cpaptalk) who have traveled that long sometime frustrating road of Pap. It will get better. Finally, make sure your medical people know what's going on. Good Luck
Let us know how you're doing.
Rich (53now)

Judith88

Post by Judith88 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:17 am

So far, you all seem like a wonderful bunch. I do not know the mask that I have, since I am at work and my mask is at home. I do feel comfortable in it. The technician said that I have a month to change the mask if I do not like it. He also said that in two weeks, we should know how much more he needs to put the pressure up to. I do not need high pressure, since I have mild to moderate apnea. The whole thing is not uncomfortable, it is just there, and I cannot seem to fall asleep. Last night when I rolled over to the other side, water that I guess had accumulated in the mask dripped all over my nose... it was quite funny....drowning by CPAP!!

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:40 am

Hi Judith 88,

Well from one Judith to another, believe me when I say you will get used to it. I started wearing the "mask" and a cpap machine July 20, 2004 and I either could not fall asleep with it on or if I did, then I could not keep it on. I just kept ripping it off. I felt so claustrophobic, I thought that I would never get used to it. I went to the doctor a month after starting and the respiratory therapist decided that I needed an autopap and she was right because after a few days of trying the autopap machine, I slept through the night....the whole night. I was shocked and so happy that I finally made it after a total of 6 weeks.

Everyone is different in adjusting to this challange but if you hang in there and be determined and above all patient, you too will succeed. This board is great for advice, support and encouragement.

A month or so from now you too will be giving advice to the new "Hoseheads" on this list.

Judy

Judith88

Post by Judith88 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:05 pm

From a Judith Anne to a Judith Ann, thank you. something to look forward to....being an experienced and well rested HOSEHEAD! My mother will be so proud of me! I am just so tired that I am tempted to not sleep with it for a night...knowing that is the wrong thin to do!

Plum Ugly

Post by Plum Ugly » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Hi Judith88;
It took me several months to finely get used to it.But I have sever OSA with a high pressure setting. I can't add anymore to what has allready been said.
BUT!!!!
You have a great cheering section here and we'll try to help you every way possible. Most here have been in the same spot your in and can give good advice and some good questions for you to ask your Doctor and the tech. Also look through other postings and read up on what problems others have had. Some may help you with yours.
#2 cruncher in the world for Find-a-Drug. Helping find cures!
Check it out at find-a-drug.org
Catch me if you can!

rested gal

sense of humor

Post by rested gal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:47 pm

Laughing at your "drowning by cpap" comment, Judith.

You've already got the #1 requirement for getting through the first days of this nutty therapy - a good sense of humor.

You mentioned not needing high pressure because you were diagnosed with "mild to moderate apnea." Actually, the label has little to do with how much (or how little) pressure it takes to keep the throat open and the air a'flowin' through. A person could have "mild" apnea yet need a pressure of 20 to keep their throat tissues from collapsing. Or be labeled "severe" and need only 5 or 6. Mild, moderate, severe...those are just to describe the number of events you have per hour, I believe - nothing to do with the actual amount of pressure it takes to keep the airway open.

Back to the near drowning incident...heheh. You were experiencing what cpap'ers call "rain out". Consider yourself baptized into the congregation of hoseheads now. The air that started out so nice and warm and moisture laden from the humidifier was cooling off during the long trip through a long, cold plastic hose all the way to your snout. Condensation and subsequent rainout can be controlled several ways. Easiest way is to turn the heat down some on your humidifier. Some people find they don't even need any heat at all. But if you do want to keep heated humidification going, you can try various methods of keeping the long main hose warmer. A hose cover, or keeping as much of the hose in bed under the covers with you, or - best of all, that wonderful Aussie heated hose from http://www.sleepzone.com.au

Judith88

Post by Judith88 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:02 pm

Thank you, having a sense of humour has taken me through alot through life. When the technician was telling me about the hot plate for the water container to go on, I asked him when the buffet was being served

Now I have to laugh....they have hose warmers? For some reason, I find that funny.

Well, I am glad I am one of the initiated by being 'rained on', I had other descriptives....now I would like to initiated by getting a good nights sleep.

Thank you for all the information about the pressure. How do you know if you have enough pressure?

rested gal

autopap

Post by rested gal » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:32 pm

How do you know if you have enough pressure?
Hard to tell without using a machine that has the capability of showing you "events" data through software. Instead of a straight cpap machine, I use an autopap with software. I'm nosey - I want to see for myself the overnight data from my machine. Depending on how the range is set (and depending on how well a particular brand of autopap can "read" a particular individual's type of breathing pattern) an autopap machine decides what's "enough" and varies it all through the night.

A good sleep study supposedly results in finding a good pressure for you. But...think about it. Comprehensive though it be, a sleep study is a one night (if "split night") or two night ("go back another night for the titration") snapshot of your sleep in a strange environment. I like the idea of using a machine (an autopap) that will keep looking at what pressure is needed during my sleep, night after night, year after year - at home. A person might not need the full "titrated pressure" blowing at them all night long. An autopap isn't the answer for everyone, but my PB 420E autopap sure works well for me. So does my backup machine - the Respironics Remstar autopap. I use software to monitor my treatment on both.

davidtwotrees

The Few, The Proud, The CPAPs!

Post by davidtwotrees » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:46 pm

Judith. I am on day 8 and am having the same dilemma. Little or no sleep, and just trying to endure IT as long as I can. So far I go four to six hours and then shut THE THING down and "sleep" for a couple of hours. But the carrot for me is getting some energy back, and waking up rested. All these nice folks, as well as the sleep doc people, assure me that I am tired from a sleep ap. and this will cure what ails me. I hope to be one of the rested sooner than later. The Few, The Proud, The CPAPs!
In giving we receive threefold in return.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:07 pm

I am looking forward to feeling rested. I just went for a walk, because I was ready to fall asleep, and wanted to put it off until a more reasonable sleep time. BTW, I am home and my mask is a Fisher & Paykel. The only number I can find on it is, HC407. How do any of you find this mask?