Recommendation for RX for rosacea-like blemishes?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Auricula

Recommendation for RX for rosacea-like blemishes?

Post by Auricula » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:10 pm

I have marks on my face that I think are an allergic reaction to my Swift mask/headgear. Several people have said I have rosacea. Has anyone found a good prescription cream that will work for this?

roster

Post by roster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:15 pm

Can't help with a rx but long term try http://padacheek.com/.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:19 pm

I use this

Click for link to METRONIDAZOLE

with success. I suffered rosacea before beginning my OSA therapy but it does seem the headgear creates more problems on my forehead and the gel doesn't seem to help nearly as much there as on my cheeks etc. I only use it for flare ups.

I do use PADACHEEKS but it still bothers me.

David
Only go straight, don't know.

Alisha

Post by Alisha » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:15 pm

The mask/headgear sometimes causes my Rosacea to flare up. The prescription Metrogel 1% (Metronidazole) clears it up pretty quickly.

If you do have Rosacea, sun and/or wind may also cause flare-ups.

Regards,

Alisha

......The information provided in this post is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice......

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:23 pm

I use padacheeks on all my headgear! I only have a problem where the mask seal touches the skin now. I use Nystatin & Triamcinolone(this is all in one tube) for that.

Brenda

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:33 pm

I believe that some of that rash is from the humidity that collects between the mask and skin. You might also try an OTC Cortizone-10 creme.

cabhoney

Rosacea

Post by cabhoney » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:12 pm

I also have rosacea, but my Swift does not seem to aggravate it.

Inpjs

Post by Inpjs » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:12 am

What are paddacheeks? I too wake up every morning with red mars down each side of my face and over the bridge of my nose where the mask sits.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:36 am

Pad-a-Cheeks are a soft, lightweight flannel-type material (forgive me if I'm wrong, Karen) that fit over the straps on your mask, making them softer against your face & neck, etc. You can do a search here; one of our members makes them. You can get a look at https://www.cpap.com to get an idea. Many people use them, and Karen makes them for most mask types, if not all.
I make covers for the cpap hoses, which don't help Rosacea, but helps w/the rainout, and covers that lovely grey hose!
Both Pad-a-Cheek and the ComfortSleeve hose covers come in a variety of colors. (so glad you asked, ha ha)
Kathleen

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:44 am

Check out Karens website at http://www.padacheek.com and you can see what they look like. They are made of micro fleece, and can be cotton covered or silk covered.

Brenda

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:25 pm

my interface doesn't come in contact with my face other than my forehead so no problems there, but when i used the f&p 405 i found it did trigger my rosacea and my face was definitely sensitive to the straps on the swift...

i used to use all those topical creams, prescription and otherwise but nothing worked for very long and even if i didn't have any blemishes i still had redness
now i use a face wash called rosaliac that i get from the drugstore and it is the best and most gentle thing i've ever used...since i started using it in sept. 06 i've had no flare ups or break outs at all..i also use the moisturizer in the same brand...

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:27 pm

oops, i forgot to say i also use padacheeks on my CL2 to eliminate dents and redness on my forehead (thanks karen!)

Yoga

Recommendation for RX for rosacea-like blemishes? Delete S

Post by Yoga » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Rosacea:

Pepper family - White pepper, black pepper, paprika, red pepper, cayenne

Cumin may also cause a problem

Poultry Seasoning Substitute
1/2 t sage
1/2 t coriander
1/2 t thyme
1/8 t allspice
1/8 t marjoram

Chili Powder Substitute
2 t cumin
1 t oregano

Curry Powder Substitute
4 t coriander
2 t turmeric
1 t cinnamon
1 t cumin
½ t cardamon
½ t basil or oregano

Foods that have pepper in them or cause problems with Rosacea
Tabasco sauce
Ketchup
Crab cakes
Del Monte stewed tomatoes
Vinegar
Mustard
Labels that say just the word spices and natural flavors

Stay away from products with ingredients, such as lanolin, glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid, and witch hazel, that can irritate skin.

Check the Rosacea Foundtion website.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:34 pm

ah comon before you can have a RX for rosacea you have to have a DX of rosacea.

Now does this rash resemble raccoon eyes or resemble a butterfly pattern on the face?

if so it may be the autoimmune disorder known as lupus. Just kidding! always looking in the ditch....
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Auricula

Post by Auricula » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Thanks, everyone, for helping to educate me about rosacea. One doctor has already IDed it. Because I have learned that a lot of the remedies do not work well I wanted to hear about successes before I bought any products. Some of the treatments are really expensive, on the order of $200 for a tube, and I hope not to have to go through a lot of trial-and-error.

In checking resources on the web I learned that a lot of eye symptoms I've experienced, such as wateriness, burning, stinging, dryness, light sensitivity, and itching, are all symptoms of a subtype called ocular rosacea.

April is Rosacea Awareness Month
http://www.rosacea.org/weblog/2007/02/0 ... /index.php

I just freaked myself out by looking at pictures on this site http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/
Enter "rosacea" in the Quick Search box.

Excuse me while I run out to a 24-hour pharmacy to get what I need to start treatment immediately!