Respironics BiPAP S/T question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GeneS

Post by GeneS » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:32 pm

You can help your husband a lot if you observe him during sleep from time to time. One important thing to look for is mouth breathing. If he wears a nasal mask c-pap does not work at all if he breathes in through his mouth. Leaking while exhaling can also cause problems. My sleep apenea was discovered years ago when my wife read an article about it and recorded me during sleep. The pauses in breathing and gasps made it obvious.

Keep up the good work and stay involved.

GeneS

babydoss

Post by babydoss » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:59 am

Gene, I am my husband's BEST advocate! I am the one who is educating myself and asking the questions. Don't get me wrong, he is a smart man but is dyslexic and has a hard time reading. So I do it. I do have some medical educational training (albeit from long ago) but that has always helped me comprehend these situations.

It's funny because my husband and I were just talking this morning about how you MUST have a partner in this endeavor. It's a challenge getting used to and having someone there not only to support you, but educate you and explain WHY things are happening is helpful.

Thanks for the comments. Lee

Off to work!