Can This Snorer’s Marriage Be Saved? Yes, With Mouth Tape.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Can This Snorer’s Marriage Be Saved? Yes, With Mouth Tape.

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:45 am

Can This Snorer’s Marriage Be Saved? Yes, With Mouth Tape. --------------> https://www.wsj.com/articles/snoring-mo ... 1660844766

lynninnj

Re: Can This Snorer’s Marriage Be Saved? Yes, With Mouth Tape.

Post by lynninnj » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:45 am
Can This Snorer’s Marriage Be Saved? Yes, With Mouth Tape. --------------> https://www.wsj.com/articles/snoring-mo ... 1660844766
I used to tape my mouth.

It didn’t do a thing for my sleep apnea and certainly didn’t benefit my heart.

I couldn’t read the article because of the pay wall but unfortunately people probably read that and tape their lips and miss significant health problem in the process.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:32 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:40 pm
unfortunately people probably read that and tape their lips and miss significant health problem in the process.
Oh, yes, many deaths because of that WSJ article.

nana of 3

Post by nana of 3 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:53 pm

:lol: :lol: When I first started out 13 years ago, I did not want to use a full face mask. I taped for a couple of years until I could keep my yap closed when
using a pillow mask. I m still here with no health problems from the tape use...... many on here tape all the time. I found that by taping my mouth for awhile, my lips stayed sealed without tape. Try it, it does work!!!!!

Cheers
Nan

Resmed Airsence 10 autoset and Bleep Dreamport mask

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:25 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:32 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:40 pm
unfortunately people probably read that and tape their lips and miss significant health problem in the process.
Oh, yes, many deaths because of that WSJ article.
as i said I could not read the article.

Probably never a good thing when mainstream media tells somebody to ignore some thing that could be significant to their health. just my humble opinion

I just imagine how long untreated apnea would go on before it kills somebody.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:36 pm

nana of 3 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:53 pm
:lol: :lol: When I first started out 13 years ago, I did not want to use a full face mask. I taped for a couple of years until I could keep my yap closed when
using a pillow mask. I m still here with no health problems from the tape use...... many on here tape all the time. I found that by taping my mouth for awhile, my lips stayed sealed without tape. Try it, it does work!!!!!

Cheers
Nan
You are lucky!

In and of itself it doesn’t hurt a thing to tape.

For some people the delay in diagnosis of OSA can be long term damage.

That was my concern.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:05 pm

Ten years ago, I gave up on the miserable experience of full face mask usage. I read that Pugsy used blue painter’s tape to control her mouth leaks. That was good enough for me, and I’ve been taping and using pillows ever since.

I know my lips haven’t learned to remain shut. My tape occasionally will loosen during the night, and I have miserable mouth leaks.

Over the years I’ve had occasions to tell each of my doctors that I tape nightly. If I had not read Pugsy’s taping post and Chunky Frog’s use of Poligrip strips to dam the drool, I would have been a cpap failure. And my poor wife would have listened to my wallpaint-peeling snores for another decade. Thank God I found this community.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:56 am

poppi2 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:05 pm
Ten years ago, I gave up on the miserable experience of full face mask usage. I read that Pugsy used blue painter’s tape to control her mouth leaks. That was good enough for me, and I’ve been taping and using pillows ever since.

I know my lips haven’t learned to remain shut. My tape occasionally will loosen during the night, and I have miserable mouth leaks.

Over the years I’ve had occasions to tell each of my doctors that I tape nightly. If I had not read Pugsy’s taping post and Chunky Frog’s use of Poligrip strips to dam the drool, I would have been a cpap failure. And my poor wife would have listened to my wallpaint-peeling snores for another decade. Thank God I found this community.
jftr I will state again to be fair I was unable to read the article because of the paywall.

If they give a very serious warning to seek out a potential sleep study of the snoring is bad or if they discussed other signs and symptoms of OSA I would be perfectly happy to hear it.

About five years ago I spent some time taping my mouth. That did nothing to get me closer to an OSA diagnosis which I got two months ago. There really is no way to quantify how much my quality of life might have suffered including being snappy and relationship issues, affect on my heart, affect on my cardiovascular system in general, and my other vital organs.

So taping on its own it’s not bad if it’s done with OSA diagnosis and treatment were appropriate.

I am very glad I found this forum also.