FFM for side sleepers?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KTinTexas

FFM for side sleepers?

Post by KTinTexas » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:30 am

I continue (after 5 years) to struggle with taking the mask off after a few hours. My theory is I do it when I turn on my side. I fall asleep on my back with the mask on. It has been suggested that a full face mask would be better for me. Does anyone else think this is true?

dataq1

Re: FFM for side sleepers?

Post by dataq1 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:23 am

I have no idea if a full face mask would be better for you.
I can only tell you what my experience as a predominately side-sleeper has been.
My full face mask is a F-P 431, and I have tried others, but that one has always been the most stable for me.
I've tried other (nasal) masks and even some FFMs (like Resmed F30), but the seal is inadequate for rotating between side and supine sleeping.
Best of luck in your search
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Thumper1947

Post by Thumper1947 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:25 am

I am a side and stomach sleeper. I never sleep on my back. I use the Dreamware FF mask and have no problems at all with leakage and it is very comfortable for me. My current cushion has been in use for over 3.5 months and I still have no leakage in it. I used the Dreamware nasal mask before going to the FF and not only had worse leaks, but had to deal with sore spots. No problems at all after 2 years of using the FF.
Thumper
Mask: Dreamware FF
Machine: Resmed Autosense 10 APAP

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:13 pm

Maybe a change of pillow? Some pillows lodge your mask away from your face, creating a leak, noise, and incentive to take the mask off.
Other pillows play much nicer with the mask.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:24 pm

FF masks are problematic in that there's a lot of surface area that must seal with your face and your face is very dynamic. The way it seals on your back is different than on your side. So they tend to leak a LOT, especially when you change positions, and I would suspect that would make you MORE likely to remove it subconsciously, not less so.

Do you know how you remove the mask? Do you just pull it over your head, or open the fasteners? Have you tried taping the mask to your face or hair (or both) so that when you pull it off it's uncomfortable enough to wake you more fully? Have you tried wearing mittens so that you can't open fasteners? Have you tried starting out on your side, so you don't have to turn over in your sleep?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Architect

Post by Architect » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 pm

Hopefully, you find a solution. Same as others, stomach and side sleeper, Airtouch F20, beginning I had a few issues, resolved issues, love mask ever since.

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:50 pm

I never had a full face mask for cpap but have you tried the nasal pillow mask the p30i? it uses the same frame as the N30i just the nose piece is different.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:22 am

Side sleeper here. The ResMed AirFit N30i and N30 didn't work for me, too much leaking, but the Dreamwear nasal cradle mask does. You might think about that while you're thinking about full face masks, the Dreamwear nose cradle cushion is quite flexible, and tends not to leak much for us side sleepers. Some leakage is fine, as long as it isn't threatening your therapy (large leaks) or waking you up. I've never found a mask that doesn't leak at all for me, but the Dreamwear, as I've mentioned tends to leak less than other masks that I've tried.