best mask for stuffy nose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyhead63

best mask for stuffy nose?

Post by sleepyhead63 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:13 pm

I went and got allergy tested, no allergies but every night just before Igo to bed I get a stuffy nose. I wake up in the morning and its gone doesn't return til nighttime. My doctor recommended nasal pillows because I had such a hard time with a full face mask the night of my sleep study. So were does this leave me, any suggestions?

dudley_doright

I have the same problem every night.

Post by dudley_doright » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:08 am

Do you have a heated humidifier? Sometimes increasing the heat helps in the breathing. Someone in this form suggested Sinucleanse. Check out http://www.sinucleanse.com or use Ayr Gel before going to bed.
The stuff actually worked and my stuffy nose is gone. I too have tried the FF mask but had problem breathing. Hope that helps!

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:19 am

Congestion comes in many forms. Here is what I do:

Slight congestion - Salt-water rinse, mouth tape, and CL2/nasal pillows.
(This seems to keep me clear all night, better than the FF) I think part
of the reason this works for me is, I can run a much higher temperature
on my HH with the CL2, vs. The Hybrid.

No congestion - Hybrid (FF/nasal pillow mask).

Stopped up with a bad cold - Hybrid, I get a very dry mouth, but it works
well enough.

People have more fun than anybody..

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:43 pm

SleepHead63,
I have 4 different masks, my favorite is the Swift I have used it during allergy season, colds, and found no problems with the congestion times in fact at night I seemed to breath better with the Swift on, then day time. I use a spray before sleeping at those times when congested, and experimented with humidifier settings and #2 on the setting worked best for me, higher numbers made me feel more congested, Saline washes before bed when stuffed up also help, What I like about the Swift I don't have to go thru all the rituals like washing my face before sleeping, chin straps, snaping buckles, tape, etc. for me simplier is better, don't feel this cpap should be an annoyance, or at least kept to a minamal.
Spring is here yea.
Ed

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:46 am

After being unable to find a F/F mask that did not leak and ending up with scabs on the bridge of my nose and dry mouth from a nasal mask, I tried a hybrid last night.
Woke up this morning with one of the worst sinus problems that I have ever had..
Lot of pollen floating aroun here and I don't know if it is allergy or the nasal pillows that did it.

Lepeu63

Post by Lepeu63 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:07 am

While my F&P ff is far from perfect, I like it a lot better then the one I used in my sleep study. I do get some leaking twords morning but that's from skin oil.

I'd recommend something like Flonase for the stuffyness. It worked wonders for me. I also noticed my body adjusting to the CPAP after about 2 weeks. At the begining the pressure change REALLY killed my sinuses. Not sure how long you've been trying, but give it a couple of weeks & try a spray to see if it helps.

"Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:10 am

I have been on Flonase for years.