Oxygen concentrator bubble humidifier - can you use with bi-level as well?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raisedfist

Oxygen concentrator bubble humidifier - can you use with bi-level as well?

Post by raisedfist » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:06 am

Right now I have the ClimateLineAir™ Oxy Heated Tube connected to my AirCurve 10 ST-A bi-level, using a 25ft tubing connection to the concentrator. I use a bubble humidifier during the day when just using the concentrator via nasal cannula. I'm not 24/7 oxygen dependent, but sometimes I do use it during the day if I find myself getting tired (I have a lung disease).

Wondering if it's fine to use the bubble humidifier on top of the bi-levels humidifier? I use distilled water for both devices. I use 2-3LPM bled in, and find my throat gets kind of dry. I figured more humidity can't hurt, but don't want to wake up in a water bath or something :mrgreen:.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

ChicagoGranny

Re: Oxygen concentrator bubble humidifier - can you use with bi-level as well?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:56 am

raisedfist wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:06 am
my throat gets kind of dry
Which mask are you using?
raisedfist wrote:
bi-levels humidifier
Do you have the setting maxed out? Which setting are you using? Do you run out of water during the night?

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:56 am
raisedfist wrote:
my throat gets kind of dry
Which mask are you using?

raisedfist wrote:
bi-levels humidifier
Do you have the setting maxed out? Which setting are you using? Do you run out of water during the night?
F&P Simplus or F&P Vitera, both are full face masks.

I generally have the climate control on auto, so auto humidity and hose temp. After about 8 hours I have maybe a 1/4th tank left.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:46 pm

raisedfist wrote:
I figured more humidity can't hurt
Actually, some people report higher levels of humidity cause nasal congestion.
raisedfist wrote:
Wondering if it's fine to use the bubble humidifier on top of the bi-levels humidifier?
You could give it a try. Just do it on a night when you have the patience to get up and disconnect the bubble humidifier should H2Oilarity ensue.

Make sure the heated hose runs down from your head to the CPAP machine. This will allow buildup of rainout to flow into the CPAP humidifier tank instead of your breathing orifices.

Coolvaporsolutions

Post by Coolvaporsolutions » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:13 pm

Yes, go ahead and keep your bubble humidifier hooked up. People don't realize that an oxygen concentrator without humidity only puts out about 3% humidity! So if you don't use your bubble humidifier and you are bleeding in your oxygen you will be actually decreasing your total humidity from the Cpap.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Coolvaporsolutions wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:13 pm
Yes, go ahead and keep your bubble humidifier hooked up. People don't realize that an oxygen concentrator without humidity only puts out about 3% humidity! So if you don't use your bubble humidifier and you are bleeding in your oxygen you will be actually decreasing your total humidity from the Cpap.
Challenge: Calculate the percent from a typical CPAP humidifier assuming a person breathes in 3500 liters of air overnight. It's probably a low percentage.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:54 pm

raisedfist wrote:
Right now I have the ClimateLineAir™ Oxy Heated Tube connected to my AirCurve 10 ST-A bi-level, using a 25ft tubing connection to the concentrator. I use a bubble humidifier during the day when just using the concentrator via nasal cannula. I'm not 24/7 oxygen dependent, but sometimes I do use it during the day if I find myself getting tired (I have a lung disease).

Wondering if it's fine to use the bubble humidifier on top of the bi-levels humidifier? I use distilled water for both devices. I use 2-3LPM bled in, and find my throat gets kind of dry. I figured more humidity can't hurt, but don't want to wake up in a water bath or something :mrgreen:.
It won't hurt, and I have heard of other people doing the same thing.

I'd suggest making sure you do shut off the O2 from the cpap when not using it, (in case you've got multiple concentrators.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:13 pm
But not by much.

Yes, please do complete Granny's challenge.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Coolvaporsolutions

Post by Coolvaporsolutions » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:13 pm

I don't have to guess because I already know. It does not matter how many litters of air you breathe every night. On average a Cpap ( Resmed or Respironics ) delivers about 65 to 75% relative humidity. Add the heated tubing and it will decrease the humidity to between 60-70%. These are facts! I have been testing these Cpaps for the last 4 years...

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:34 pm

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:13 pm
I don't have to guess because I already know. It does not matter how many litters of air you breathe every night. On average a Cpap ( Resmed or Respironics ) delivers about 65 to 75% relative humidity. Add the heated tubing and it will decrease the humidity to between 60-70%. These are facts! I have been testing these Cpaps for the last 4 years...
Which has nothing to do with what was asked.

Stilltired01

Post by Stilltired01 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:31 pm

What is a bubble humidifier?

I use an oxygen concentrator 3L only when sleeping. I just use my climate line heated hose and aircurve 10 st-a humidifier.

IVAPs,
WISP mask,
Invacare oxygen concentrator

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:43 pm

Stilltired01 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:31 pm
What is a bubble humidifier?

I use an oxygen concentrator 3L only when sleeping. I just use my climate line heated hose and aircurve 10 st-a humidifier.
lmgtfy-
https://www.google.com/search?q=bubble+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Coolvaporsolutions

Post by Coolvaporsolutions » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:23 pm

Challenge: Calculate the percent from a typical CPAP humidifier assuming a person breathes in 3500 liters of air overnight. It's probably a low percentage.

You can't and don't calculate relative humidities from a Cpap humidifier... You measure the relative humidity in the airflows. Try using a hygrometer if you want accurate relative humidity percentages.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 pm

Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:23 pm

You can't and don't calculate relative humidities from a Cpap humidifier... You measure the relative humidity in the airflows. Try using a hygrometer if you want accurate relative humidity percentages.
You made unfounded allegations, and you were called out on it, now you're dodging the issue.

I'm willing to bet Granny doesn't actually care, she's just pointing out that you don't know what you're talking about.